HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #196 of 733
So I have both done a 4 hour session last night and burned the unit in 24 hours now and things are settling down nicely.
I have been able to roll IEMs and cables and I now can post impression with confidence that things won't change drastically.
Usually bass settles down in early stages of burn in, it might get better but I think usually that's more marginal.

Anyway, as I rolled through my collection of IEMs and cables today after the all night burn in and it has been an interesting process as usual.
The underlying fundamentals from the sound ouf the box are quite apparent and things I heard upon first listen are still valid.

DAPs don't have a sound per say but usually how it influences IEMs and headphones sound is quite consistent and in that sense it does have a consistent "coloring" effect on what you plug it too. Yes some DAPs are reference tuned but even then there are usually some kind of more subtle but real effect coloring the sound not only favoring some frequencies but also very important is how attack and decay is impacted, along with imaging and stage abilities and dynamic range.

I must say the Darwin MPA architecture is just as exciting as Cayin N7 1bit implementation, as both have been unheard of in DAPs so far and this is a departure from of the shelf DACs that tend to have a significant influence on how a DAP sounds despite the amp section and components from different brands makes a significant difference as we've seen in the past (in that respect, R2R is also a nice choice to have). But what this does open is more freedom for Brands like Hiby and Cayin to really have full control over the end results. How exciting!

Anyway, R8II to me features the Hiby house sound, which means a rather fully bodied presentation with deep and powerful bass and a midrange on the fuller side along safe lower treble. I do feel however having owned the original R6, RS6, R8 and RS8 each for well over a year and hundreds of hours of listen that R8 II is a significant evolution and maturation of the house sound. R8 II further refines things, capitalizing on the heights reached by RS8.

RS8 furthered interesting unique things that RS6 started to bring to the house sound. RS8 notably brought more upper mids bite and both RS6 and RS8 shined in terms of how rich and detailed textures are portrayed which such fine nuances that it brings a realism to the table that resolution alone can not provide (RS8 being well above it's younger brother). This is the unique Hiby touch to me, textures are really providing a "tactile" feel to notes that make everything so euphonic.

R8 II is another branch of evolution on the house sound, retaining some of the characteristics of RS8 and R8 but with interesting differences.

R8 II is to me the first Hiby player that retains the house sound while aiming for a more balanced presentation.

It has a less prominent mid bass presence than R8 and RS8 alike, although don't mistake this for neither a bass shy presentation nor one that would be drier and less textured. It's powerful and you get plenty of slam but less prominent in the overall presentation. Textures are still a strong item and percussions are a treat on this baby. Subs as usual with Hiby reach deep. Mid bass is well controlled.

As for the midrange, I find R8 II to be very balanced and probably the most open presentation of mids that I have heard from any Hiby player. This is still a full bodied midrange but less so than both R8 and RS8. Interestingly I didn't find the mids featuring as much bite as the RS8 and depending on your pairings, music genre and what your taste is this might be a deciding factor between R8 II and RS8. R8 II mids are accurate with appropriate bite when called for but it won't add anything there where RS8 was sometimes surprisingly energetic (I am thinking when paired to the Elysium for example). On top of this, midrange benefits from the upper treble presence in terms of separation and resolution which makes them the most articulate mids from Hiby.

And that's one very important item with R8 II, it's a clear evolution as there is less lower treble excitement but significantly more upper treble presence (not that RS8 extension was lesser but the overall balance made it less apparent). R8 II is more resolving and open sounding thanks to this, but also the balance between lower and upper treble helps a more balanced presentation. Yes, you loose a bit of treble energy that attracted a bit more attention but you gain a sense of refinement that RS8 was the only one to feature but in an overall more energetic presentation (both upper mids and lower treble wise) that left the finer details less prominent. This matters a lot in terms of perception, as people will tend to think R8 II is more resolving than RS8.

Last but not least, I find R8 II to feature significantly faster transient speed making it cleaner and more responsive accross the range.

So what does this mean in terms of pairing and overall synergy ?

Well R8 II being balanced it can accomodate pretty much anything I threw at it and let me also tell you it can drive even a headphone like DCA Stealth in high gain turbo mode quite well! Yes using line out with a desktop amp will further the experience, R8 II doesn't go all the way like M9 Plus, the Max series or the FiiO M17 but then again it's a more compact form factor.

The amp section on R8 II, like R8 and RS8 is superb. I expect things to even get better as the unit fully burns in. The DAC to me is clearly impressive and it's refreshing to discover a new architecture, like Cayin N7 it's a very refined, organic yet resolving DAP. There is really a stunning value for money that those 2 DAPs provide that stands out against the competition.

R8 II is fuller bodied than N7 with more slam mid bass wise and thicker lower mids. On the flipside N7 brings more air and separation and more precise imaging : as usual, tradeoffs, you can't get it all. It's great to have choices and although those share a similar philosophy they are two different implementation of the organic, refined and resolving.

I actually found R8 II a bit too powerful bass wise on some pairings like JH Sharona or RN6 but initially I was running PWA Orpheus and - synergy, synergy - this brought too much power to the bass section for my taste. I switched to RN6 SPC stock cable and the silver Cleo Octa II with Sharona and there you go, perfect synergy! I expect the incoming Brise Shirogane will fit like a glove with R8 II... where the Orpheus sits right at home with N7 and N30LE. All about synergy.

Anyway, when picking up the right cable any IEM sounds superb out of R8 II and I am pretty sure despite owning N30LE this one will get equal air time :)
I must say R8 II is portable and comfy to hold as well :

IMG_0562.jpeg

I have always been a fan of the Hiby house sound, but it reaches new heights IMHO and we're lucky with DAPs like R8 II and N7 to be able to get top notch performance at a decent price although it's still a flagship featuring top components that do cost more. On top of this many things I haven't mentioned that are key : snappy performance as with any Android 12 / 665 DAP with excellent RAM and this is important to me : 256GB onboard memory. Yes, I have purchased high speed high perf SD card but it's no match for local storage for streaming sync. Really it's a huge perf gap that is so very convenient. Build is top notch as well and as mentioned earlier buttons are very nice to operate. Screen is superb but that's a given on all recent Hiby releases.

For those who would miss it : you have to enable douple tap to wake, it's there just not activated by default.

Also to wrap up : it think R8 II is the DAP that will bring people to the brand because of its balanced presentation and exceptional value for money

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #197 of 733
So I have both done a 4 hour session last night and burned the unit in 24 hours now and things are settling down nicely.
I have been able to roll IEMs and cables and I now can post impression with confidence that things won't change drastically.
Usually bass settles down in early stages of burn in, it might get better but I think usually that's more marginal.

Anyway, as I rolled through my collection of IEMs and cables today after the all night burn in and it has been an interesting process as usual.
The underlying fundamentals from the sound ouf the box are quite apparent and things I heard upon first listen are still valid.

DAPs don't have a sound per say but usually how it influences IEMs and headphones sound is quite consistent and in that sense it does have a consistent "coloring" effect on what you plug it too. Yes some DAPs are reference tuned but even then there are usually some kind of more subtle but real effect coloring the sound not only favoring some frequencies but also very important is how attack and decay is impacted, along with imaging and stage abilities and dynamic range.

I must say the Darwin MPA architecture is just as exciting as Cayin N7 1bit implementation, as both have been unheard of in DAPs so far and this is a departure from of the shelf DACs that tend to have a significant influence on how a DAP sounds despite the amp section and components from different brands makes a significant difference as we've seen in the past. But what this does open is more freedom for Brands like Hiby and Cayin to really have full control over the end results. How exciting!

Anyway, R8II to me features the Hiby house sound, which means a rather fully bodied presentation with deep and powerful bass and a midrange on the fuller side along safe lower treble. I do feel however having owned the original R6, RS6, R8 and RS8 each for well over a year and hundreds of hours of listen that R8 II is a significant evolution and maturation of the house sound. R8 II further refines things, capitalizing on the heights reached by RS8.

RS8 furthered interesting unique things that RS6 started to bring to the house sound. RS8 notably brought more upper mids bite and both RS6 and RS8 shined in terms of how rich and detailed textures are portrayed which such fine nuances that it brings a realism to the table that resolution alone can not provide (RS8 being well above it's younger brother). This is the unique Hiby touch to me, textures are really providing a "tactile" feel to notes that make everything so euphonic.

R8 II is another branch of evolution on the house sound, retaining some of the characteristics of RS8 and R8 but with interesting differences.

R8 II is to me the first Hiby player that retains the house sound while aiming for a more balanced presentation.

It has a less prominent mid bass presence than R8 and RS8 alike, although don't mistake this for neither a bass shy presentation nor one that would be drier and less textured. It's powerful and you get plenty of slam but less prominent in the overall presentation. Textures are still a strong item and percussions are a treat on this baby. Subs as usual with Hiby reach deep. Mid bass is well controlled.

As for the midrange, I find R8 II to be very balanced and probably the most open presentation of mids that I have heard from any Hiby player. This is still a full bodied midrange but less so than both R8 and RS8. Interestingly I didn't find the mids featuring as much bite as the RS8 and depending on your pairings, music genre and what your taste is this might be a deciding factor between R8 II and RS8. R8 II mids are accurate with appropriate bite when called for but it won't add anything there where RS8 was sometimes surprisingly energetic (I am thinking when paired to the Elysium for example). On top of this, midrange benefits from the upper treble presence in terms of separation and resolution which makes them the most articulate mids from Hiby.

And that's one very important item with R8 II, it's a clear evolution as there is less lower treble excitement but significantly more upper treble presence (not that RS8 extension was lesser but the overall balance made it less apparent). R8 II is more resolving and open sounding thanks to this, but also the balance between lower and upper treble helps a more balanced presentation. Yes, you loose a bit of treble energy that attracted a bit more attention but you gain a sense of refinement that RS8 was the only one to feature but in an overall more energetic presentation (both upper mids and lower treble wise) that left the finer details less prominent. This matters a lot in terms of perception, as people will tend to think R8 II is more resolving than RS8.

Last but not least, I find R8 II to feature significantly faster transient speed making it cleaner and more responsive accross the range.

Well R8 II being balanced it can accomodate pretty much anything I threw at it and let me also tell you it can drive even a headphone like DCA Stealth in high gain turbo mode quite well! Yes using line out with a desktop amp will further the experience, R8 II doesn't go all the way like M9 Plus, the Max series or the FiiO M17 but then again it's a more compact form factor.

The amp section on R8 II, like R8 and RS8 is superb. I expect things to even get better as the unit fully burns in. The DAC to me is clearly impressive and it's refreshing to discover a new architecture, like Cayin N7 it's a very refined, organic yet resolving DAP. There is really a stunning value for money that those 2 DAPs provide that stands out against the competition.

R8 II is fuller bodied than N7 with more slam mid bass wise and thicker lower mids. On the flipside N7 brings more air and separation and more precise imaging : as usual, tradeoffs, you can't get it all.

I actually found R8 II a bit too powerful bass wise on some pairings like JH Sharona or RN6 but initially I was running PWA Orpheus and - synergy, synergy - this brought too much power to the bass section for my taste. I switched to RN6 SPC stock cable and the silver Cleo Octa II with Sharona and there you go, perfect synergy! I expect the incoming Brise Shirogane will fit like a glove with R8 II... where the Orpheus sits right at home with N7 and N30LE. All about synergy.

Anyway, when picking up the right cable any IEM sounds superb out of R8 II and I am pretty sure despite owning N30LE this one will get equal air time :)

IMG_0562.jpeg

I have always been a fan of the Hiby house sound, but it reaches new heights IMHO and we're lucky with DAPs like R8 II and N7 to be able to get top notch performance at a decent price although it's still a flagship featuring top components that do cost more. On top of this many things I haven't mentioned that are key : snappy performance as with any Android 12 / 665 DAP with excellent RAM and this is important to me : 256GB onboard memory. Yes, I have purchased high speed high perf SD card but it's no match for local storage for streaming sync. Really it's a huge perf gap that is so very convenient. Build is top notch as well and as mentioned earlier buttons are very nice to operate. Screen is superb but that's a given on all recent Hiby releases.

For those who would miss it : you have to enable douple tap to wake, it's there just not activated by default.
Great impressions David. Please share them on the Watercooler thread too 😊

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #198 of 733
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #199 of 733

I must say the Darwin MPA architecture is just as exciting as Cayin N7 1bit implementation, as both have been unheard of in DAPs so far and this is a departure from of the shelf DACs that tend to have a significant influence on how a DAP sounds despite the amp section and components from different brands makes a significant difference as we've seen in the past. But what this does open is more freedom for Brands like Hiby and Cayin to really have full control over the end results. How exciting!

R8 II is fuller bodied than N7 with more slam mid bass wise and thicker lower mids. On the flipside N7 brings more air and separation and more precise imaging : as usual, tradeoffs, you can't get it all.

IMG_0562.jpeg

Very interesting and detailed review
at this stage I would think that maybe there is not a huge gap of SQ between Shanling M9+ and Hiby R8 II

But,
-> what about battery playing time with good IEM is it more convenient with R8 II than M9+ ?
-> I am also wondering if available output power at 32 ohms is maybe more adequate with M9+ to move from time to time properly a deamanding headphone DCA Stealth than R8 II ?

And I am still doubtful concerning the fact that a JP NW-WM1ZM2 is not preferable to be used with a IER-Z1R as main IEM.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #200 of 733
Very interesting and detailed review
at this stage I would think that maybe there is not a huge gap of SQ between Shanling M9+ and Hiby R8 II

But,
-> what about battery playing time with good IEM is it more convenient with R8 II than M9+ ?
-> I am also wondering if available output power at 32 ohms is maybe more adequate with M9+ to move from time to time properly a deamanding headphone DCA Stealth than R8 II ?

And I am still doubtful concerning the fact that a JP NW-WM1ZM2 is not preferable to be used with a IER-Z1R as main IEM.

R8II will have better battery life no doubt from what I am seeing but it's a quite bigger battery (12000 against 8300mAh) and I think MPA is probably less power hungry than dual 4499EX.

I find that DCA Stealth is driven well by R8 II (turbo mode) akin to N30LE or RS8, but M9 Plus has more power for sure.
Stealth on R8II is more relaxed and full bodied with more slam down low. M9 Plus is more energetic so it would come down more on what you're looking for.

Interesting that you would mention JP NW-WM1ZM2 as I owned one for a while and there are several things about R8 II I find commonalities with 1ZM2 JP in terms of how organic it sounds and the overall tonal balance but I would say R8 II has the edge in terms of resolution. And R8 II feels to me more natural sounding, there always was something a bit "overdone" with 1ZM2 on some fronts.

In fact upon first listen I was thinking 1ZM2 with better amplification :p I can speak to the IER-Z1R pairing as I don't have one handy.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #201 of 733
I can confirm R8 II is superb with Z1R. That said I also own the WM1Z, and that pairing is always special. Note that I prefer the OG WM1Z to the WM1ZM2, especially with Z1R, because like David I found the 1ZM2 a bit overdone (brighter) to my liking. So YMMV.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #202 of 733
I can confirm R8 II is superb with Z1R. That said I also own the WM1Z, and that pairing is always special. Note that I prefer the OG WM1Z to the WM1ZM2, especially with Z1R, because like David I found the 1ZM2 a bit overdone (brighter) to my liking. So YMMV.

David and you are both going to make me consider I should go to give a try to the R8II :darthsmile: :darthsmile: :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #204 of 733
@David. As I own the N30 and owned the N7, can you tell me a little bit more about the differences between N30 and R8ii. And plse share some impressions regarding the LO; the N7 had one of the best LOs I ever heard.

@Sisco. I own the Trifecta as well and to my ears, it had the best synergy with the Sp3k. So highly interested in your impressions regarding the synergy.

Thanks !

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #205 of 733

I must say the Darwin MPA architecture is just as exciting as Cayin N7 1bit implementation, as both have been unheard of in DAPs so far and this is a departure from of the shelf DACs that tend to have a significant influence on how a DAP sounds despite the amp section and components from different brands makes a significant difference as we've seen in the past (in that respect, R2R is also a nice choice to have). But what this does open is more freedom for Brands like Hiby and Cayin to really have full control over the end results. How exciting!

R8 II is fuller bodied than N7 with more slam mid bass wise and thicker lower mids. On the flipside N7 brings more air and separation and more precise imaging : as usual, tradeoffs, you can't get it all. It's great to have choices and although those share a similar philosophy they are two different implementation of the organic, refined and resolving.

IMG_0562.jpeg

Also to wrap up : it think R8 II is the DAP that will bring people to the brand because of its balanced presentation and exceptional value for money
Incredible writeup @davidmolliere ! About all I can add is "I got the blue one too!" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great pairing with recent arrived Trifecta Astra Plane..AWESOME..

IMG_1336.jpeg
best regards

Sisco
Having heard Trifecta once or twice I can imagine this would be an excellent pairing, I suspect synergy in many of the same ways I'm hearing with Xe6.

While I've really enjoyed the RS6/Xe6 pairing most of the time, there have been just a few instances where it's felt just a tad "fuzzy" or "loose". I have to listen very closely to hear this, but the bass notes in this track in particular highlight a resonance at around 2:20

R8 II's cleaner more precise DAC handles this a lot better, and that odd buzz is gone.

Changing gears to a track that is perhaps more suited to Xe6 distinct type of tuning, I've never not liked this with RS6:

But in just the first 30 seconds with R8 II I can distinctly hear better control and detail in the midbass, more precision around the percussion elements in the upper midrange & treble, and the overall grander sense of space KGLW are going for. (Go ahead and enjoy the remaining 12 minutes, this one is farking epic!)

I'm really thrilled with the way R8 II plays with Xe6. Mine's custom so it wasn't going anywhere anyway, but now I've got a DAP that seems to get just about the best out of it.

Annihilator23 synergy is a bit of a different story. The DAC differences are probably more of a preference, whether you like the more organic R2R type of sound from the RS6, or the cleaner precision of the R8 II. I'd probably lean to the former with Anni23, but then the amp difference also come into play, with the RS6 feeling a bit smaller and more intimate vs the larger more expansive R8 II. I might play with my desktop amps a bit later to normalise that variable, but for now I have a slight preference for the chills I get with RS6 on a track like this:

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #208 of 733
After several tests this afternoon with several of my iems..RN6-Trifecta-Z1R-MMk3....I find that the R8 II excessively accentuates the bass of these headphones, which already have a powerful one...so I think that It will be better to combine R8 II with other types of Iems, more neutral...
I get the best pairing of all my Iems, with my Cayin N8ii, both in solid state, and with tubes...
we continue testing for a few more days, before confirming the purchase, or not, of this R8 II... but today, they just told me I have serious doubts...I find it a little bassy...and I really like powerful, well-defined sub bass, but NOT swollen...

Best Regards

Sisco

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #209 of 733
After several tests this afternoon with several of my iems..RN6-Trifecta-Z1R-MMk3....I find that the R8 II excessively accentuates the bass of these headphones, which already have a powerful one...so I think that It will be better to combine R8 II with other types of Iems, more neutral...
I get the best pairing of all my Iems, with my Cayin N8ii, both in solid state, and with tubes...
we continue testing for a few more days, before confirming the purchase, or not, of this R8 II... but today, they just told me I have serious doubts...I find it a little bassy...and I really like powerful, well-defined sub bass, but NOT swollen...

Best Regards

Sisco
I have three of those IEMs and find R8 II is actually fairly neutral in the bass, maybe a slight boost. Then again I enjoy elevated bass, and R8 II renders this elevation as cleanly as I've heard it. It's one of the best pairings for all three in fact (Z1R, Rn6 and Trifecta).

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #210 of 733
I have three of those IEMs and find R8 II is actually fairly neutral in the bass, maybe a slight boost. Then again I enjoy elevated bass, and R8 II renders this elevation as cleanly as I've heard it. It's one of the best pairings for all three in fact (Z1R, Rn6 and Trifecta).
For my tastes..Better with Cayin N8ii..I ts a subjective perception....For You R8 II.i ts possible....That's why it's so important to try for yourself.

Best Regards

Sisco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back