Hiby R6 vs LG G7
Jun 25, 2018 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ohenriquez

New Head-Fier
Dear Members

I am on the fence between them. I am upgrading my current Pixel 2 XL (just because of limited storage and I also want to improve the sound) and made a pre order or LG G7

But now I received an email from my HiFi local store saying that the Hiby R6 is ready for pre order (I am based in New Zealand). The Hiby R6 was recommended here before.

I believe the LG G7 quality of sound would be similar to the LG V30

Wonder if any of you has experience and can offer some advice about what is best and as to whether the sound quality is so different.
Having 2 devices would be a waste of money?

I have Audioquest Nighthawk, Master and Dynamics MH40, Fostex TH X00 and perhaps getting Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and in the future (not too distant I hope) I will be getting AUDEZE L2
Bluetooth: I have KEF Space One Bluetooth, V Moda Crossfade Wireless 2, Bose QC35, Bose sound sport wireless (the Bluetooth ones for gym training and running)

Have a decent Pionner hifi system with output for listening with headphones

Thanks in advance for your great help

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 12
Dear Members

I am on the fence between them. I am upgrading my current Pixel 2 XL (just because of limited storage and I also want to improve the sound) and made a pre order or LG G7

But now I received an email from my HiFi local store saying that the Hiby R6 is ready for pre order (I am based in New Zealand). The Hiby R6 was recommended here before.

I believe the LG G7 quality of sound would be similar to the LG V30

Wonder if any of you has experience and can offer some advice about what is best and as to whether the sound quality is so different.
Having 2 devices would be a waste of money?

I have Audioquest Nighthawk, Master and Dynamics MH40, Fostex TH X00 and perhaps getting Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and in the future (not too distant I hope) I will be getting AUDEZE L2
Bluetooth: I have KEF Space One Bluetooth, V Moda Crossfade Wireless 2, Bose QC35, Bose sound sport wireless (the Bluetooth ones for gym training and running)

Thanks in advance for your great help

Hello friend, I hope I have not arrived late, indeed the audio DAC of the v30 is the same as the LG G7 and pushes a lot. The r6 I think it will be a tool more dedicated to Hi-fi audio, with more power, however if you want an all in one, the LG g7 is an excellent option. It also influences whether you want to listen to music through bluetoth or the lifelong cable of headphones. I have the following headsets, HD 650, AKG k712, Beyer dt 770 and some momentum m2, and it all moves in a very decent way, I'm really impressed. According to what I heard, it pushes the same as a shanling m0. Greetings.

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 12

You have a nice collection of headphones!
I can't speak about the LG G7 or the HiBy R6 (I have the R3 though), but with that headphone collection I can recommend a Chord Mojo DAC/Amp. Rob Watts, the developer of the Chord DACs, used the NightHawk as his favorite headphone with Mojo for a long time.
This combination sounds really great!

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Hello friend, I hope I have not arrived late, indeed the audio DAC of the v30 is the same as the LG G7 and pushes a lot. The r6 I think it will be a tool more dedicated to Hi-fi audio, with more power, however if you want an all in one, the LG g7 is an excellent option. It also influences whether you want to listen to music through bluetoth or the lifelong cable of headphones. I have the following headsets, HD 650, AKG k712, Beyer dt 770 and some momentum m2, and it all moves in a very decent way, I'm really impressed. According to what I heard, it pushes the same as a shanling m0. Greetings.
Appreciated the reply as I thought I could not get any response here and wondered that there were no people here who did not have the chance to compare them. Interestingly you say that as I had read "The DAC chipsets on the V20 & V30 are certainly much better. The HiBy R6 is more catered towards an all around audio experience on Android with their Direct Transport Audio architecture (DTA) which supports bit-perfect non-resampling output from all apps": https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v30/860263-hiby-r6-vs-v30.html
I decided to pre order the Hiby R6 here in NZ (buy I got the LG G7 anyway and currently enjoying it, the quality of sound with the app USB Pro is great but the experience with other apps such as Spotify, Tidal or Poweramp...average). Once, I get the Hiby R6, I will make my own comparisons and if there is not much of a difference, well I will return the HiBy.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 12
You have a nice collection of headphones!
I can't speak about the LG G7 or the HiBy R6 (I have the R3 though), but with that headphone collection I can recommend a Chord Mojo DAC/Amp. Rob Watts, the developer of the Chord DACs, used the NightHawk as his favorite headphone with Mojo for a long time.
This combination sounds really great!
Thank you, I always wondered about that Chord Mojo and would consider trying it. I had the dragonfly Red before and could not cope well with its brightness and it was also quite loud. I am sure the experience with the Mojo may be different.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 12
I decided to pre order the Hiby R6 here in NZ (buy I got the LG G7 anyway and currently enjoying it, the quality of sound with the app USB Pro is great but the experience with other apps such as Spotify, Tidal or Poweramp...average). Once, I get the Hiby R6, I will make my own comparisons and if there is not much of a difference, well I will return the HiBy.

Congrats to your decision! The R6 seems to be a really nice player, and was high on my list of options. Hope you will like it and share your experiences!
Cheers

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 12
Appreciated the reply as I thought I could not get any response here and wondered that there were no people here who did not have the chance to compare them. Interestingly you say that as I had read "The DAC chipsets on the V20 & V30 are certainly much better. The HiBy R6 is more catered towards an all around audio experience on Android with their Direct Transport Audio architecture (DTA) which supports bit-perfect non-resampling output from all apps": https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v30/860263-hiby-r6-vs-v30.html
Do compare them and let us know of they are

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Hiby R6 has dual-DAC for better balanced output performance. On paper LG G7 DAC does overperform Hiby but it takes mor then just a DAC to deliver great sound. And yes, it only has 1 chip, forget about this marketing Quad DAC stuff.
I believe Hiby also leverages additional amps where G7 relies on the SoC integrated amplification. I currently own G7 and am pretty happy with the DAC but it's better comparable in terms of tonality with Shanling M0 which has identical DAC chip then high-end dedicated DAPs.
I am still very interested to compare Hiby R6 and LG G7 side by side using same source app, volume and titles.
There are a lot if comparisons of different things here in forum but most of the time they are very subjective and even don't state such important factors as headphones used or quality of the music files used.

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Comparing a phone to a dap or only looking at a DAC chip is basically pointless to me. So if you are looking to buy the g7 just for the sound, I would recommend looking at the hiby r6 instead.

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #11 of 12
I just received my Hiby R6 and trying to listen extensively in comparison to LG G7. A couple of thoughts:
- No big difference with IEMs: Beyerdynamic Xelento, KZ ES10, RevoNext QT3.
- Audible improvement in favor of Hiby with higher impedance big headphones - Beyerdynamic DT1770Pro. Slightly wider soundstage, fuller sound, slightly higher detail.
- I would assume better battery life for Hiby due to slower CPU, smaller screen and less background services + 4000Mha (Hiby) vs 3000Mha (LG)
- Newer Android is of course significantly better but I think for pure DAP Hiby is good enough. Android 8 is anounced for Hiby.
- No balanced output for LG. I don't have any balanced cables and DT1770pro is not sutable for balanced anyways. I have ordered some cables for my IEMs, will test as soon as they are there.
- No MQA for Hiby in Tidal... Not sure how important is this, will need to find some music in MQA quality which I know and compare to Tidal High. MQA and Android 8 is anounced for Hiby.

More impressions later.

Short summary: if you will use LG G7 as a primary phone then it can replace dedicated DAP. As DAP only look at Hiby R6. Easy as that :wink:
As I plan to use Huawei P20Pro as my primary phone I will sell my LG. Contact me if interested.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 12
I looked into the Huawei P20 Pro versus the G7 and for me the G7 seemed like the better choice. The P20 is quite nice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back