HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Feb 25, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #91 of 1,511
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. Originally I had it where each artist had their own folder in the root directory. Then I made a Music folder in the root directory and dropped all of my music folders into there. I did all of this on my Windows PC, fwiw - no special Android actions were involved.
Great advice for anyone following behind us receiving the Hiby R6 Gen III. We all know how impatient we can get waiting for music to copy over so we can play our tunes on our new toys 😀

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #92 of 1,511
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. Originally I had it where each artist had their own folder in the root directory. Then I made a Music folder in the root directory and dropped all of my music folders into there. I did all of this on my Windows PC, fwiw - no special Android actions were involved.
Super - thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #93 of 1,511
Just want to make sure that I do this correctly to that I can use the same SD card across my players.

At the moment my card has a folder called "Music" then inside that a folder for each artist and then folders for each album within those (which obviously the Gen III doesn't like). What's the best way to re-order the folder/filing system so that is is usable for all of my devices?

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #94 of 1,511
Just want to make sure that I do this correctly to that I can use the same SD card across my players.

At the moment my card has a folder called "Music" then inside that a folder for each artist and then folders for each album within those (which obviously the Gen III doesn't like). What's the best way to re-order the folder/filing system so that is is usable for all of my devices?
I have album subfolders within each artist folder and it hasn’t been a problem for me with the Gen III using UAPP.

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #95 of 1,511

@damintoell no pressure 😀

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #96 of 1,511
Just my experience re: using microSD cards: I have the same SanDisk 1TB card I’ve used in the HiBy R6 2020, the FiiO M11S, and now the R6 Gen III. I only use UAPP as my player. Card works perfectly in all of them. The only difference is that I had to put all of my music into a single subfolder to deal with Android 12’s permissions for the R6 Gen III. I’ve been able to swap the card back and forth between the players without reformatting.
What are your thoughts on the FiiO M11S vs the Hiby R6 Gen III? I'm currently trying to decided between these two and am leaning toward the R6 as I like the design better, Android 12 vs 10, and the volume knob.
---

Unrelated, even with full sized headphones if Class AB gets sufficiently loud enough is there any advantage to Class A? My only over-ears is the HD6XX which I don't think are particularly hard to drive in my settings (currently Apple's dongle provides sufficient volume)

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #97 of 1,511
What are your thoughts on the FiiO M11S vs the Hiby R6 Gen III? I'm currently trying to decided between these two and am leaning toward the R6 as I like the design better, Android 12 vs 10, and the volume knob.
I think I prefer to R6 Gen III (and will hold onto the M11S as a secondary/backup DAP). You probably can’t go wrong either way, but if the R6 sounds more appealing to you, I’d say to go for it.

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #98 of 1,511
This is really the first DAP I'm taking seriously, and I remember why. Tagging. UGH. Even using MP3TAG, Hiby Music seems to do what it likes sometimes inc choosing what album art to display on the artist/album thumbnails, but when clicking on the album it shows what I added in MP3TAG.

Is UAPP better? I could be missing some labeling inputs in MP3TAG of course since I'm new to it. Also, when it comes to compilations I don't want individual artists appearing in the "artist" menu. Anyone got any tips/threads for tagging albums etc?

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #99 of 1,511
I am quite interested in the R6 Gen 3. Is the Hiby MSEB system wide or is it specific to the Hiby Music app only? I mostly stream my music and so I am wondering whether it would work with other apps like Tidal or Apple Music.

And would there be a significant difference in sound coming from FiiO M11S? I am looking for something warmer and fuller.

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #100 of 1,511
I am quite interested in the R6 Gen 3. Is the Hiby MSEB system wide or is it specific to the Hiby Music app only? I mostly stream my music and so I am wondering whether it would work with other apps like Tidal or Apple Music.

And would there be a significant difference in sound coming from FiiO M11S? I am looking for something warmer and fuller.
It's system-wide so works on everything, and tho not relevant to your question, DSD needs to be in PCM mode for it to affect the sound.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #103 of 1,511
---
There have been a few comparisons on both from early reviewers - here is another

Headfonics - Hiby R6 iii

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back