Hiby R5 - Tidal via USB
Jun 7, 2020 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I have emailed Hiby but have not yet received a reply......

I have recently purchased a Hiby R5 mainly for offline tidal playback, to play when I am out and about.

I also wanted to be able to play at home through a desktop DAC/headphone amp, mainly using offline tidal so as not to worry about WiFi drop outs, though Will be streaming tidal also.

I have just received an SMSL m500 DAC/amp which can play MQA via its USB input only, I have connected the Hiby R5 but it does not work!??

When I utilise UAPP however it works fine, I do not want to rely on this as I have had buffering issues with UAPP in the past and want to use my R5 without relying on third party apps....

Possible dumb question alert: If I was to purchase an OTG cable would this solve the issue? Surely there must be a solution.

Many thanks for any help.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 9
If you find the answer please post the results here. I want to do what you are doing with the R6 Pro. It’s coming this week. I’m sure the answer is very similar.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 9
If you find the answer please post the results here. I want to do what you are doing with the R6 Pro. It’s coming this week. I’m sure the answer is very similar.
I will, just had a quick scan before I leave for work, same guy seems to be having the same problem and it seems UAPP is the solution offered. I have already ordered a usb c OTG cable which should be here tomorrow in-between my night shifts (UK) I will post results in due course.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Wired/Wireless Connection.

If you want to use R5 with an external portable amp, you need to switch to LO in Audio settings for corresponding port. If you want to use R5 as a digital transport, just connect USB-C OTG cable and it works by default.

just found this on a headfi review...fingers crossed

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Hello, I tried connecting a usb OTG from the R5 to the SMSL with no luck. This has been echoed by other people within the thread you directed me to. UAPP is the only way forward. I think you can use the R5 DAC and output that to the amp via other connection methods but like me you probably wanted to use the more higher spec DAC from your external device. The DAC/amp I purchased encoded MQA only it's USB.

I have returned my DAC/amp as I would not be getting my monies worth out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back