HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Dec 21, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #841 of 872
Does the Hiby R2 (gen 2) bypass the analogue circuit when used as a transport (coaxial/USB out) at max volume? Are there any other settings that need to be tweaked for such usage?
I set the digital volume to max and lock it there in the settings. Not sure how the mechanism is different from my other DAPs that automatically set the volume to max on coax out, but I couldn't hear a difference anyways.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #842 of 872
Apparently this is now discontinued. So I bought a second one. Honestly, I have no complaints about this player. I think it sounds fabulous for the money and I love the GUI. If you want a study in frustration, buy a Sony NW-A306 which water finally killed on me, thank God. I hated my Sony with a passion. Talk about fiddly. The R2 screen is smaller but the controls are twice as large on the screen. And it doesnt behave all hyper like the A306 which was always "sliding" between screens with the slightest errant touch. The Hiby also SLAYS the sound of the Sony. Sony had all kinds of EQ gimmicks, but they are mediocre. Right away I could dial in the Hiby to make my Senn Momentums close to my HD650s in spirit. You can delete tracks fromt he player without everything grinding to a halt like the Sony (cant delete and keep playing can't delete multiple tracks at once). The minute I got my first Hiby I said to myself "Whoever created his interface is a genius" compared to Sony's lousy software. Also a volume KNOB vs a stupid rocker switch (which I hate) and a 100 step potentiometer!) I have mediocre Bluetooth connections on the go with my Jabra earbuds, but at home with my Fender Monterey bluetooth speaker its stable, but the Jabra showed how mediocre they sounded compared to my Momentums with this player, so I was very happy to return to a wired connection and enjoy real audiophile sound. This player may have some minor quirks, but it's a joy compared to the crap DAP Sony puts out. Anyway, I bought a second one because I love this player. For $90 it was dream come true for me, someone who has suffered through plenty of quirks over the last 25 years of DAPs.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #844 of 872
Where did you get it’s discontinued? The R2 OG is indeed discontinued, but you’re mentioning a volume knob, so that would be the R2-II. It is still relatively new and is indeed a neat little DAP. At $90 it’s a steal! :ksc75smile:
I’m in Bangkok and they are sold
Out. Amazon in the US says no longer available. I bought a backup! Yeah, nifty player!

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #848 of 872
The official distributor of Hiby products is Holysai, According to Hiby who I contacted about a repair. Holysai no long has them. I bought one off Shoppe from an independent dealer (last time I use Shoppe, what crappy software. Lazada only from now on) There are a couple around that way, they probably have had them sitting around on their shelves. but it was also an older model with the old software and the one I bought from holysai had the modern software 1.1 pre installed. I hope I didnt get a leaky battery Model. Do you see any on Amazon?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #849 of 872
The volume knob is actually low quality and rather poor compared to simple volume rocker.
I’ll take a cheap knob over a rocker any day. With a hundred step digital potentiometer there is much finer tuning than a “press and hope” as
you over and under-shoot your volume. The crappy rocker switch. The worst invention in volume control. Like the crappy rockers on mid 8os mid-fi Yamaha and technics home equipment junk - that came and went -while the high end stuck with knobs. Rocker? Okay for your flat pocket phone/player , I don’t want one on my audio equipment. You know, audiophile stuff?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #850 of 872
With a hundred step digital potentiometer
A detail: the R2-II wheel is an encoder, not a potentiometer. You can rotate it infinitely, no 0 or 100% position.
Personally, I also prefer this to the OG R2 rocker/buttons. I even prefer the R3-II wheel with it’s push/click feature, even if it’s a little wobbly.

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #851 of 872
The official distributor of Hiby products is Holysai, According to Hiby who I contacted about a repair. Holysai no long has them. I bought one off Shoppe from an independent dealer (last time I use Shoppe, what crappy software. Lazada only from now on) There are a couple around that way, they probably have had them sitting around on their shelves. but it was also an older model with the old software and the one I bought from holysai had the modern software 1.1 pre installed. I hope I didnt get a leaky battery Model. Do you see any on Amazon?
I don't shop on Amazon. I don't shop with Holysai either since they sold me a Cayin N3 with a faulty battery years ago and refused to do anything about it until I asked Cayin to step in and help (incidentally, they subsequently refused to answer my emails after this incident, which struck me as very childish).

I rarely use Lazada either as the amount of counterfeit products on their site is ridiculous. Also I don't know what you mean about Shoppee's software as I only use their website, I refuse to install either company's app. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I do remember trying to buy a Hiby R3 Pro Saber a few months after they came out and they'd disappeared from the market but new stock appeared eventually so if they have started running out of the R2 II I'd imagine they'll restock eventually.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #852 of 872
v1.2.jpg

HIBY R2 II FIRMWARE UPDATE !!

Changelog:
1. Added shortcut menu customization function;
2. Fixed issue where Bluetooth playback switching between tracks may get stuck or silent;
3. Various other bug fixes.

The OTA update is available now. Simply connect to Wi-Fi and update the firmware by System settings -> Firmware update -> Via OTA.

Download link for local update: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yl3Q95zjvpr4R1knjG9-6BY-0mWQkVeB/view

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #853 of 872
v1.2.jpg

Changelog:
2. Fixed issue where Bluetooth playback switching between tracks may get stuck or silent;

The OTA update is available now. Simply connect to Wi-Fi and update the firmware by System settings -> Firmware update -> Via OTA.

Download link for local update: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yl3Q95zjvpr4R1knjG9-6BY-0mWQkVeB/view
See this on Facebook... Sad, they didn't add a folder add function to the library refresh....(

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #855 of 872
v1.2.jpg

Changelog:

Thank you good sir, updating right away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back