Hiby FD3 USB Dac + Headphone Amp?
May 15, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #31 of 45
>
I've only used the Hiby app on Android devices (phones and DAPs) and you just point it at the directory where the audio files are stored on your device (in my case, on a micro SD card).

When you say "locally in VLC" does that mean within a folder on your iPhone?
If it does, then you surely you just need to tell the Hiby app where it is?
However, as I said, I have no idea whether that is possible on an iPhone.

As for the FD3 working without the Hiby app....
All I can say is yes. On Android.
I wouldn't like to answer in the affirmative regarding iOS without being 100% certain, but I'd imagine so.

Really sorry that I can't be more helpful than that.

Edit: All I can suggest is asking @Joe Bloggs if he can help.
Anything Hiby related, he's the man for the job!
iOS doesn't work like this.

There is a folder that iTunes stores the music on, which is synchronised with iCloud ( Apple's version of google drive). Most apps expect to find music there.
However, VLC doesn't do this, thankfully. I store my media within the application directory. This keeps it out apple's reach
Ha! Kindred spirits!
Until you sold your sold to the ghost of Steve Jobs!
Splitter! 😂
:) :)

May 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #32 of 45
>

iOS doesn't work like this.

There is a folder that iTunes stores the music on, which is synchronised with iCloud ( Apple's version of google drive). Most apps expect to find music there.
However, VLC doesn't do this, thankfully. I store my media within the application directory. This keeps it out apple's reach.
The solution is simple.

Buy a cheap Android phone (I paid £164 for a perfectly adequate Poco M4 Pro 5G), then chuck a big micro SD card in it.
Next, construct a huge pyre in your garden.
Place your iPhone and any other Apple products on top.
Then light the pyre and dance around whilst grooving to your favourite music on your new Android device and Hiby FD3!
Simple.

Or you could buy a DAP....
But I sold my DAP and adopted the above usage scenario.
No funeral pyre though.
But I use the FD3 and an Xduoo xd05 Basic.
And about to get an ifi Zen Dac v2 for the 'desktop setup'.

May 15, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #33 of 45
The solution is simple.

Buy a cheap Android phone (I paid £164 for a perfectly adequate Poco M4 Pro 5G), then chuck a big micro SD card in it.
Next, construct a huge pyre in your garden.
Place your iPhone and any other Apple products on top.
Then light the pyre and dance around whilst grooving to your favourite music on your new Android device and Hiby FD3!
Simple.

Or you could buy a DAP....
But I sold my DAP and adopted the above usage scenario.
No funeral pyre though.
But I use the FD3 and an Xduoo xd05 Basic.
And about to get an ifi Zen Dac v2 for the 'desktop setup'.
As much as I should like to build a bonfire, I have two spare iphone SEs already that I can sacrifice for music.

> FD3 and an Xduoo xd05 Basic.

Why do you use these at the same time? I am ignorant here.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #34 of 45
As much as I should like to build a bonfire, I have two spare iphone SEs already that I can sacrifice for music.

> FD3 and an Xduoo xd05 Basic.

Why do you use these at the same time? I am ignorant here.
I don't use them at the same time.
The FD3 is for when I'm out and about, mainly when driving (using a line in to a car stereo). But also for IEMs. (I prefer headphones).

I use the xd05 at home and when out and about. It's a flexible unit; I have the bluetooth adaptor which adds functionality. It's got a bit more power and is well suited to my T50RP Mk3s. Bit of a brick though.

May 16, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #35 of 45
Makes me wonder if I could get a xd505 instead. Although no balanced out.

My plan is for compact home use. The phone is only used for streaming radio because I can use my VPN app on it - All of the radio stations I listen to are geoblocked.

Although the hibi devices are nice. The R5 looks great, if only I could install Android apps ( e.g vpn + bbc sounds + TuneIn for live radio )

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #36 of 45
Makes me wonder if I could get a xd505 instead. Although no balanced out.

My plan is for compact home use. The phone is only used for streaming radio because I can use my VPN app on it - All of the radio stations I listen to are geoblocked.

Although the hibi devices are nice. The R5 looks great, if only I could install Android apps ( e.g vpn + bbc sounds + TuneIn for live radio )
The R5 is an android device.
The international version comes with the Google store so you can install any android apps.
I never tried mine with Surfshark VPN as I used it solely as a local player (I don't stream, renting music is anathema to me).
And for that reason I can't speak for WiFi reliability.

I think you need to work out exactly what all your usage scenarios are; home, portable, streaming, apps etc and decide what's best. DAP or phone + DAC.
And how you will solve the iPhone / audio player conundrum (if you choose that route).

The thing with this forum is that everyone will recommend something different!

Perhaps the Hip Dac 2 might be a good option?
It's highly rated. Portable. Single ended and balanced. Looks great!

Hip Dac 2

May 16, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #37 of 45
This thread has gone off topic.
Apologies.

May 24, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #40 of 45
Has the Hiby FD3 enough power for Phillips Fidelio X3 and Meze 109 Pro ?
i mean the 3,5mm single ended out with 25mW I don’t want use the balanced 2,5mm out with 75mw
The FD3's single ended 3.5mm output easily powers my Meze 99 Noirs and can also just about cope with my Sundaras.
So one would imagine it would cope with the headphones you mention.

Incidentally, it's no longer in stock on Hiby's website or their official Aliexpress store.

May 24, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #42 of 45
Okay thank you so much.
it’s no problem ,I never buy stuff in other countrys
i buy it now on Amazo.de for 42€

on Friday I get finally my Meze 109 Pro ,can’t wait 😍
Are you sure that's the FD3 for 42€?

Or the FD1?

May 24, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #43 of 45
Okay thank you so much.

I just checked.

The Hiby FD1 is currently 42€ on Amazo.de.

Not the Hiby FD3.

May 24, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #44 of 45
Okay thank you so much.

Please be clear.....

My comments regarding the Meze 99 Noirs and the Sundaras related to the Hiby FD3 and NOT the Hiby FD1.

But I would think the FD1 would be ok with your Meze 109s.
I'm sure you will love them.

May 24, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #45 of 45
Yes i know , i give it a try with the FD1 ,when it’s not works I send it back.
i have an FC3,FC1 and a FC4 too.
i just want to test if I can hear any sound differences.
for me the the FC3 and FC4 sounds fantastic to my ears, but for me the FC4 and FC3 sounds identical with Philips Fidelio X3.
on Friday I test the Meze 109 Pro with FC1/3/4 and on Saturday with the FD1 when it arrived.
im really excited for the Meze 109 Pro,i think it’s a great improvement to the Fidelio X3 ,but I really really love the Fidelio X3 with my music styles ,all kinds of Metal and Rock,like SlipKnoT,System of a Down ,KoRn,Rammstein,Stone Sour,Dream Theate,The Offspring,Bad Religion,Greenday,Metallica,Disturbed and many many more.
i think for other genres the bass of the Fidelio X3 can be a bit too low but for Rock and Metal it is just perfect.
thank you again I will give you feedback when i tested everything with the Dacs/Amps and the Meze 109 Pro.
( sorry for my bad English I hope you can understand me,it’s not my main Language and never learned it in school,I just now it from,music lyrics,movies,video games, reading and communicate in the internet.)
have nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back