Hiby FD3 USB Dac + Headphone Amp?
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #16 of 45
Hi there. I thought it was great, sonically. No complaints at all on the sound, given its price and size. Ergonomically it didn't fit my use case too well. Almost like it's in between a dongle DAC and a portable/desktop DAC. I didn't use it with the R5, but it was perfect with the R2, of course.
Any hiss for sensitive iems?

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #18 of 45
Hi. Any reviews or at least impressions about fd3?
I like mine. I also have the TempoTec E44 that I compare it to. The FD3 has a more natural/warm sound while the E44 has more of a bright/crisp sound. Personally, I prefer how the FD3 sounds, plus I really like having volume buttons and a play/pause button right on the device so I don't have to control my music with the source device; I can use the FD3 with my eyes closed and don't have to look at a LED display and find where to touch to skip a track, etc.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 45
I have a Hiby FD1 and when switching tracks with different sampling rates, playback failures occur. Sound is interrupted, noisy. Only reconnection helps. Have FD3 had such problems?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 45
I have a Hiby FD1 and when switching tracks with different sampling rates, playback failures occur. Sound is interrupted, noisy. Only reconnection helps. Have FD3 had such problems?
I have never had anything like this happen to me.

May 15, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #21 of 45
Hi,

Can I use this attached to my iPhone and listen to radio from apps like "TuneIn" and BBC Sounds?

Also, plan to send the balanced out as input to my two Yamaha MSP-5 active monitors ( 1/4" jack and XLR inputs). I suppose that this could work?

Soph

May 15, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #22 of 45
Hi,

Can I use this attached to my iPhone and listen to radio from apps like "TuneIn" and BBC Sounds?

Also, plan to send the balanced out as input to my two Yamaha MSP-5 active monitors ( 1/4" jack and XLR inputs). I suppose that this could work?

Soph
I have tested the BBC Sounds app with the FD3 and it works perfectly, although I am using an Android phone.
You would need a USB-C to Lightning cable to use it with your iPhone.
To be clear, there is NOT one of these included in the box, however Hiby do sell one on their site; it's about £15.
You may already have one of these.

As for your other usage scenario, you would need a balanced 4.4mm (or 2.5mm) to the appropriate termination to connect to your active monitors.
That would work.

I use the FD3 every day.
It's stuck to the back of my mobile phone case (with the little magic sticky thing - I use another phone case when I don't need the FD3).
The FD3 is absolutely brilliant.
I love it. It's really simple to use and sounds fantastic.
For listening to music, I have the UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) app installed on my phone, with a 512GB SD card.
I use the 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm outputs with various headphones and IEMs as well as with line-in inputs on car stereos.
I can't fault it. It's versatile and the sound quality is excellent.

May 15, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #23 of 45
I have tested the BBC Sounds app with the FD3 and it works perfectly, although I am using an Android phone.
You would need a USB-C to Lightning cable to use it with your iPhone.
To be clear, there is NOT one of these included in the box, however Hiby do sell one on their site; it's about £15.
You may already have one of these.

As for your other usage scenario, you would need a balanced 4.4mm (or 2.5mm) to the appropriate termination to connect to your active monitors.
That would work.

I use the FD3 every day.
It's stuck to the back of my mobile phone case (with the little magic sticky thing - I use another phone case when I don't need the FD3).
The FD3 is absolutely brilliant.
I love it. It's really simple to use and sounds fantastic.
For listening to music, I have the UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) app installed on my phone, with a 512GB SD card.
I use the 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm outputs with various headphones and IEMs as well as with line-in inputs on car stereos.
I can't fault it. It's versatile and the sound quality is excellent.
Thanks. Then this could work. My iphone SE has a Lightning connection. I will need a different cable.

UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) app looks good. Do you know of a similar app for iOS?

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #24 of 45
Thanks. Then this could work. My iphone SE has a Lightning connection. I will need a different cable.

UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) app looks good. Do you know of a similar app for iOS?
Of significant conern, the marketing speel reads
"Works seamlessly with the exclusive HQ USB audio access mode of the HiByMusic app"

However, I installed this app and it won't work because my media is stored locally in VLC and not in Apple's world. Will the FD3 work without their HiByMusic app?

Attachments

• DE3AF0E7-185F-4DCA-8DF6-EC4E90ECBB02.jpeg
    DE3AF0E7-185F-4DCA-8DF6-EC4E90ECBB02.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • E3A66A4A-C224-459F-BBF0-E32B129C8EDE.jpeg
    E3A66A4A-C224-459F-BBF0-E32B129C8EDE.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #25 of 45

Sorry, I have no knowledge of apps available for iOS.
I've boycotted Apple since they bought out Emagic in the 90s and then promptly ceased Windows support for Logic.
Yeah, I know how to bear a long term grudge! 😂

May 15, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #26 of 45
Of significant conern, the marketing speel reads
"Works seamlessly with the exclusive HQ USB audio access mode of the HiByMusic app"

However, I installed this app and it won't work because my media is stored locally in VLC and not in Apple's world. Will the FD3 work without their HiByMusic app?
I've only used the Hiby app on Android devices (phones and DAPs) and you just point it at the directory where the audio files are stored on your device (in my case, on a micro SD card).

When you say "locally in VLC" does that mean within a folder on your iPhone?
If it does, then you surely you just need to tell the Hiby app where it is?
However, as I said, I have no idea whether that is possible on an iPhone.

As for the FD3 working without the Hiby app....
All I can say is yes. On Android.
I wouldn't like to answer in the affirmative regarding iOS without being 100% certain, but I'd imagine so.

Really sorry that I can't be more helpful than that.

Edit: All I can suggest is asking @Joe Bloggs if he can help.
Anything Hiby related, he's the man for the job!

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #27 of 45
I really ought to do a small review of the FD3, there's so little about it online and it's a great little DAC.
Very underrated.

May 15, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #28 of 45
Sorry, I have no knowledge of apps available for iOS.
I've boycotted Apple since they bought out Emagic in the 90s and then promptly ceased Windows support for Logic.
Yeah, I know how to bear a long term grudge! 😂
Funny I did the same. They offered a free copy and a discount to move to a Mac. I still have my Unitor and emagic dongle somewhere. I boycotted until I bought an iphone in 2018 :)

May 15, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 45
>
I've only used the Hiby app on Android devices (phones and DAPs) and you just point it at the directory where the audio files are stored on your device (in my case, on a micro SD card).

When you say "locally in VLC" does that mean within a folder on your iPhone?
If it does, then you surely you just need to tell the Hiby app where it is?
However, as I said, I have no idea whether that is possible on an iPhone.

As for the FD3 working without the Hiby app....
All I can say is yes. On Android.
I wouldn't like to answer in the affirmative regarding iOS without being 100% certain, but I'd imagine so.

Really sorry that I can't be more helpful than that.

Edit: All I can suggest is asking @Joe Bloggs if he can help.
Anything Hiby related, he's the man for the job!
iOS doesn't work like this.

There is a folder that iTunes stores the music on, which is synchronised with iCloud ( Apple's version of google drive). Most apps expect to find music there.
However, VLC doesn't do this, thankfully. I store my media within the application directory. This keeps it out apple's reach.

May 15, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #30 of 45
Funny I did the same. They offered a free copy and a discount to move to a Mac. I still have my Unitor and emagic dongle somewhere. I boycotted until I bought an iphone in 2018 :)
Ha! Kindred spirits!
Until you sold your sold to the ghost of Steve Jobs!
Splitter! 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back