hi. using dvd player as cd player?
Feb 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nowhere

100+ Head-Fier
hello i am looking for a new cd source dedicated to playing my music in my room (also looking into new headphones)... i am currently in the research phase before my purchase initially i was going to spend about 100 dollars but the more i research the more i am interested and my price is getting higher and higher hehe... the using a dvd player as your cd player interests me and 2 of them that jumped out at me were the:

Amazon.com: Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player: Electronics
toshiba hd-a1

OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
oppo digital dv-981hd

and i planned to also buy this amp with whatever cd player i choose:

headroom total bithead
HeadRoom Total BitHead @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

my biggest question is if i used the amp with the dvd player would i be able to use headphones? i only use headphones to listen to music so that is the number one concern for the dvd player as a cd player setup. (my television does not have a headphone jack and it doesn't look like the dvd players do)

if i can use the amp <-> dvd player with headphones the next question would be would it better to just get a dedicated cd player or one of these dvd players to play my cds. (i am not that interested in the dvd aspect altho it is a nice bonus to have)

thanks for your time.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 5
I would definitely go with the OPPO. Ya it is not a true HD DVD player, but the dust still needs to settle on that format war before I commit to a side. The OPPO is held in high regard at places like thehometheaterspot forums.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my biggest question is if i used the amp with the dvd player would i be able to use headphones?

if i can use the amp <-> dvd player with headphones the next question would be would it better to just get a dedicated cd player or one of these dvd players to play my cds. (i am not that interested in the dvd aspect altho it is a nice bonus to have) .

You can use the 2-channel analog outputs(RCA) from the DVDP to connect to the Bithead's analog input.

I would get the DVDP instead of a CDP. I don't believe there would be any diffrence in CD playback at this price...and if you have DVD concerts you can listen with no video.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 5
The output is good or not is not due to it is a CDP or DVDP, but the DAC and the amplifier section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back