Hi to bass fans
May 2, 2017 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tomo-chan

New Head-Fier
What is it going to take to get speaker level bass from my headphones? I am using my phone or Sound Blaster PCI Express card. Is it just not possible? Do i need a sub pac?

May 2, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 12
What is it going to take to get speaker level bass from my headphones? I am using my phone or Sound Blaster PCI Express card. Is it just not possible? Do i need a sub pac?
I have DT770, Monks, and don't like either very much.

If even the DT770 is far from enough bass for you the only other thing you can try is Beats. Maybe the Sony XB500 if you can find one.

The reality however is that you can't get the exact same kind of windshield shattering, chest-thumping, liver-liquefying bass from headphones because they aren't even blowing the soundwaves towards a windshield (and it has nothing to do with not sitting in a car) nor your torso. It just doesn't work that way since the drivers are outside your ears, and even if they were closer, those headphone earcups aren't exactly large transmission line ported enclosures designed to extend and boost bass response of drivers that would otherwise be in a sealed enclosure or open baffle mounts.

May 2, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't think you'll find it in headphones. I haven't. The closest I've tried are the DT1350s, which measure similarly to DT770s. The DT770s should be better because they are hitting your pinna as well as inner ear. The thump you want is in your body, not your ears. The more detail you get the less thump will accompany it.

There are some JVCs that are apparently veiled but have kick ass bass if you EQ them. Still it's only in your ears, but it might scratch the itch. I think you'll need EQ.

My HD650s with a tube amp and bass-heavy tubes sounds good to me, but it wouldn't do it for your needs.

DON'T get electrostatics. End game for many, but worst of the worst for you.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 12
If even the DT770 is far from enough bass for you the only other thing you can try is Beats. Maybe the Sony XB500 if you can find one.

The reality however is that you can't get the exact same kind of windshield shattering, chest-thumping, liver-liquefying bass from headphones because they aren't even blowing the soundwaves towards a windshield (and it has nothing to do with not sitting in a car) nor your torso. It just doesn't work that way since the drivers are outside your ears, and even if they were closer, those headphone earcups aren't exactly large transmission line ported enclosures designed to extend and boost bass response of drivers that would otherwise be in a sealed enclosure or open baffle mounts.
I can't believe that is true about beats because they have more upper bass than dt 770 but are on par in sub bass.
I have heard $20 JVC headphones that were big and huge and hit harder than the beats you speak of but their clarity was crap.

I don't think you'll find it in headphones. I haven't. The closest I've tried are the DT1350s, which measure similarly to DT770s. The DT770s should be better because they are hitting your pinna as well as inner ear. The thump you want is in your body, not your ears. The more detail you get the less thump will accompany it.

There are some JVCs that are apparently veiled but have kick ass bass if you EQ them. Still it's only in your ears, but it might scratch the itch. I think you'll need EQ.

My HD650s with a tube amp and bass-heavy tubes sounds good to me, but it wouldn't do it for your needs.

DON'T get electrostatics. End game for many, but worst of the worst for you.
Ill try those out. Thanks to the electrostatics tips.

May 2, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 12
I can't believe that is true about beats because they have more upper bass than dt 770 but are on par in sub bass.

You asked "speaker level bass," which can be more easily construed as louder. You need to be more precise, like how you wanted a wider frequency response as opposed to simply more wub-wub-wubwoooooooooooom drops.

May 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Not really considering some just want a lot of bass plus are looking for wireless and all that (more so nowadays thanks to the latest iPhone) and Sony isn't making the XBx00 anymore.
OK I see where you're coming from buddy. It isn't reasonable to expect every new member is already slightly well informed. Plus I do android, so honestly until I read this post i forgot the new iphone doesn't even plug in headphones.

I did find this thread and it has been VERY helpful. https://www.head-fi.org/f/posts/13465696/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back