Hi, Some help please newbie here.
Apr 24, 2008 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Steph86

Member of the Trade: BusiSoft AV / Addicted to Audio
Hi im new to amps and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

Im going to be buying a pair AKG701 and I am going to be needing an amp and DAC with them.

I have got a budget of about £400($800) for the two.

I have been thinking about either the Darkvoice 336se or 332 (i don't know the difference between the two why has one got 4 tubes and the other only 2) vs LittleDot MK IV. Are there any others that I should consider?

As for a DAC I don't have a clue, whether I should get an external one or an internal one for my pc. I am happy to do some mods to get the best sound. I will be using my computer as my main source.

I don't mind how the £400 is split to buy the amp and DAC.

Any help and advice would be most helpfull.

Thanks
Steph

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 8
?

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 8
I am happy with Little Dot performance and craftsmanship; a very good value. Penchum's review is really postive about the MKIV.

You can choose to go with a USB/DAC or invest in a sound card with optical or coax digital outputs and get a DAC with appropriate inputs. I chose to go with a portable USB DAC/Amp for the versatility. If you plan to only use the DAC on a desktop PC, you would probably want to go with a dedicated desktop DAC unit. There are many good DACs to choose from in your budget range. I own a Beresford TC-7510 (2 optical/2 coax inputs). If my budget was larger I might have looked more closely at brands like Keces, CityPulse, Lite Audio DAC modified, Musiland or Zhaolu.

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for your reply breakfastchef, which out of the above DAC's that you mentioned offers the best sound.
And one more question, how do i go about connecting the dac to the tube amp? sorry for the noob question!

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And one more question, how do i go about connecting the dac to the tube amp? sorry for the noob question!

You'll need 2x rca male to male cables
might look simmilar to this
img5540ef7.jpg

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks my beat

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Say if i were to go for a Zhaolu DAC what is the best way of me to connect to my pc to get the best sound? I can't seem to see a USB connection on the back of this DAC. Also, I don't want to use the amp section of the Zhaolu just the DAC as i want to use a tube amp is this possible? because i currently use a CORDA Move and Foobar where I am able to select the DAC as the output, is this possible with the Zhaolu?

Thanks
Steph

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 8
You'll need a DAC with USB outs, like the Keces DA-151. Great DAC, by the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back