Hi-Rez for Work
Nov 15, 2003 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All!

I will be purchasing a new disc player for use at work with my headphone system (MAD Ear+ amp, Sennheiser HD600 and Grado SR80). The ancient, portable RCA CD player I’ve used for a front end for the last 9 years is limiting the performance of the rest of the system.

I’m considering an entry-level, hi-rez player for a replacement such as the Philips DVD963SA or the Pioneer DV-563A. I’m attracted to the upsampling capability of the Philips but cannot ignore the DVD-A capability, lower price, and compactness of the Pioneer.

I’ve read here that the Pioneer is helluva bargain and offers nearly as proficient redbook performance as the Philips. I really don’t care about nor need video performance as this will be used for audio only. Video is an area where the Philips reportedly shines but it will be of no use to me.

I imagine I will need to preset either on a TV before I take it to work unless they can be connected to my monitor (I don’t think the I/S wonks would like this!).

I’d appreciate input from anyone who has gone down this road or is considering doing so.

Best regards,
Steve

Nov 15, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Dear Steve,

I too have journeyed down the high resolution road and it has been a wonderful one thus far. If you want to take the path yourself, then I would recommend you dip your feet in the water. Get the Pioneer DV-563A so that you can experience the benefits of both DVD-Audio and SACD. It is very affordable and you will not fret over having an expensive source component at your workplace.

A brief word of advice. You are jumping into the hi-rez market at a good time as the both competing camps seem to have digested the notion that dual layer / hybrid discs hold the future of their success in the future (i.e., survival). Therefore, more hi-rez discs will carry both a Redbook CD layer and the special hi-rez layer(s). This is a very promising sign as you will have maximum compatibility to play those discs in any player (theoretically).

I hope this helps. Contact me directly if you wish.

Nov 15, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 11
So the Pioneer is a good source?????

Nov 15, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Do a search for the Panasonic DV-563A. I think you'll find it has received mixed reviews; some have vaunted it whilst others found it unsatisfactory for their personal tastes.

Nov 15, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Do a search for the Panasonic DV-563A. I think you'll find it has received mixed reviews; some have vaunted it whilst others found it unsatisfactory for their personal tastes.

I think you will find the same for the Philips 963SA. As Steve stated the video section is great but the audio while very good for the price has some shortcomings IMO. I have moved mine downstairs for use as my video source.

Another SACD/Redbook player I have heard that is a little more money but really does a good job is the modded Sony C555ES. Another plus is that it holds 5 CD's. Half a days music.

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Hi All!

Thanks for the responses and encouragement.

I purchased the Pioneer over the weekend and had a chance to connect it to a TV at home prior to bringing it to work. It appeared that it came preset for the functions I wish to use it which as stated will be audio only for CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As.

I had purchased the new Steely Dan release “Everything Must Go” in DVD-A format along with the player. After much spinning and groaning, the player announced on the screen that it could not play the disc. I tried an SACD, redbook CD, and DVD-V all with success. I guess the Dan disc is clobbered-up somehow and should be returned. Has anyone else encountered problems with this release?

Best regards,
Steve

Nov 19, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Hi All!

Well, my first few days with the Pioneer DV-563A-S have been both exciting and vexing: Exciting because I can clearly hear an improvement in the playback quality of my redbook CDs and the joys of higher resolution recordings. Vexing because I have only 1 out of 4 total hi-rez discs that play without problems.

As reported before, Steely Dan’s “Everything Must Go” DVD-A would not load at all. I considered this a disc problem and planned to return it next weekend.

Peter Gabriel’s “Up’ SACD loads and the player announces it is indeed an SACD. However, it skips like the dickens. I’ve had this disc for a couple of months and have not mistreated it. It plays fine in my other CD players on the CD layer.

The Police’s “Sychronicity” SACD is in the same disc non grata category that the Dan disc is. The Pioneer chews on it for awhile than announces “No Disc”.

But, “The Buena Vista Social Club” DVD-A loads without problem and sounds stunning.

Am I the only one experiencing these difficulties? Does this sound like a player problem or just bad luck getting good discs?

Best regards,
Steve

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by SteveA
Hi All!

Well, my first few days with the Pioneer DV-563A-S have been both exciting and vexing: Exciting because I can clearly hear an improvement in the playback quality of my redbook CDs and the joys of higher resolution recordings. Vexing because I have only 1 out of 4 total hi-rez discs that play without problems.

As reported before, Steely Dan’s “Everything Must Go” DVD-A would not load at all. I considered this a disc problem and planned to return it next weekend.

Peter Gabriel’s “Up’ SACD loads and the player announces it is indeed an SACD. However, it skips like the dickens. I’ve had this disc for a couple of months and have not mistreated it. It plays fine in my other CD players on the CD layer.

The Police’s “Sychronicity” SACD is in the same disc non grata category that the Dan disc is. The Pioneer chews on it for awhile than announces “No Disc”.

But, “The Buena Vista Social Club” DVD-A loads without problem and sounds stunning.

Am I the only one experiencing these difficulties? Does this sound like a player problem or just bad luck getting good discs?

Best regards,
Steve

I have a Pioneer 47Ai feeding (over i.Link) a 49TXi. I've tried about 100 high-resolution disks in it, and have never had a problem. So it seems that you probably have a bad player -- bad disks, in my experience, are quite rare.

Nov 20, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I have a Pioneer 47Ai feeding (over i.Link) a 49TXi. I've tried about 100 high-resolution disks in it, and have never had a problem. So it seems that you probably have a bad player -- bad disks, in my experience, are quite rare.

Ditto for the Pioneer DV-45A. I've had that player about 10 months now and it's played everything I've thrown at it. If you know someone else with a SACD player you might try your failing discs on their machine. If they play you have a bad player.

Nov 20, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 11
I have a refurbished Denon DVD 2900 (waiting to upgrade to the DVD 5900 at the right used price). It loads everything I throw at it -- SACD, DVD-Audio, Redbook CD, HDCD, DVD-Video (both +/- R/RW formats) quickly. Your Pioneer sounds like it should be exchanged for another unit as soon as you have a chance. Please make that a priority and keep us updated on your findings in this thread. It may wind up making converts out of a few newcomers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back