Hi rez and hi rez player questions
Jan 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
So 24/196 stuff will play fine on a 24/96 player right, just only in 96 or will the quality be worse than an actually 24.96 file?

Is there a site that gives you acsess to all formats if you buy one? Like instead of paying $10 bucks for standard and $15 for hi rez and **** if I pay $20 i can just have whatever I want?

Also how do you know if the files are real or upsampled?

And I'm looking at getting an iBasso DX90 do the DX90 and X5 both take 2x128gb cards? can anything take more in the price range? I think the Pono is the same...

I would really like a service where I got the physical CD or Vynal+hirez download.

And can FLAC, and ALAC and stuff be anyformat? like Do they make it smaller over a Wav or Aiff file. Like a ALAC can be a 16/44.1 or 24/96 or 24/196? Will iPods even play ALAC's at 24/96?

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 13
I believe FLAC or Alac are both uncompressed file type. I believe high res as Sony said 24/192 come from uncompressed Blu-ray type. There are a huge argument between high res and regular Cd quality. Most of studio recording equipments are still 16/96 type. Does it matter if you can play it higher? The differences mostly are from sampling, but remember human ears can only hear 20-20 kHz frequencies. Not to mention some higher end headphones and speaker frequencies respond is in 20-18khz....only.

Sothe commercially quality now is Cd quality, unless you can have the producers to produce Blu-ray instead of Cd, then we are on to something. For now...regardless of your processing power, you are stuck with mostly Cd quality, and very limited high res choices.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 13
I believe FLAC or Alac are both uncompressed file type. I believe high res as Sony said 24/192 come from uncompressed Blu-ray type. There are a huge argument between high res and regular Cd quality. Most of studio recording equipments are still 16/96 type. Does it matter if you can play it higher? The differences mostly are from sampling, but remember human ears can only hear 20-20 kHz frequencies. Not to mention some higher end headphones and speaker frequencies respond is in 20-18khz....only.

Sothe commercially quality now is Cd quality, unless you can have the producers to produce Blu-ray instead of Cd, then we are on to something. For now...regardless of your processing power, you are stuck with mostly Cd quality, and very limited high res choices.

FLAC and ALAC can compress to a certain degree. Like a zip file, they compress without loosing any data, hence the result is a bit smaller than WAV/aiff but maintains the lossless quality and data. Getting mastering quality sound files is hard. So many people think they can simply up convert their mp3s to FLAC and it would change the quality, LOL.

Anyhow, it's not easy to come by, the best is still to create it your own. Buy CD, rip it yourself to FLAC or ALAC, once in a lossless format you can freely convert between the formats without loosing quality. The benefit of lossless.

To my, already 24/96 is total overkill but 24/192 is hilarious. Humongous file sizes with stuff, I can't hear....

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 13
FLAC and ALAC can compress to a certain degree. Like a zip file, they compress without loosing any data, hence the result is a bit smaller than WAV/aiff but maintains the lossless quality and data. Getting mastering quality sound files is hard. So many people think they can simply up convert their mp3s to FLAC and it would change the quality, LOL.

Anyhow, it's not easy to come by, the best is still to create it your own. Buy CD, rip it yourself to FLAC or ALAC, once in a lossless format you can freely convert between the formats without loosing quality. The benefit of lossless.

To my, already 24/96 is total overkill but 24/192 is hilarious. Humongous file sizes with stuff, I can't hear....

This has also bugged me with high res audio. I`m a total newbie, but my understanding is that high res consist of 24 bits per "frame" so too speak (not 16bit as in CD`s) and therefore better clearity in the soundstage. Every "frame" is played 44100 times pr second in CD quality, and 96000 / 192000 times pr second in high res (24/96 and 24/192). So, from my understanding this will in theory give somewhat more clear and smooth sound (much like frames on your television) and not primarely audiofrequensies (>20000 khz) one cannot hear.

Please, enlighten me here.

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 13
Watch http://youtu.be/nLEhfieoMq8

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 13
Excellent, the reason why I said most of the recording equipments are in 24/96. He also explained it in the end.

One thing I disagree with him is the noise. The quantified noise as he said, only happen when there is not enough details to fill in those empty bit space. Engineers use this space to edit music. But can also compose more detail and instrument into it. A long time ago everyone settled for what it is to date, due to the storage limitation. Why does movies and bluray products come in 24/192, because they can add more details into the movies, and music.

Chinese refer this to as sound resolution. Similar to picture resolution, if the picture was blurry records , 720p, you play it on 1080, it still only display 720 and make those imperfections worse. But if it was recorded in 1080 then you can enjoy it.

The problem here is most of the studio can only record 24/96.... Those rich people need better knowledge and equipment to release high res music

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 13

CD's are only 16/44.1, I'm talking about buying 24/192 tracks and sample rate has nothing to do with the frequency response range...

I agree with the last statement lol....wonder why there are supersonic range. Perhaps you can play these high res to a whale or a dolphin. If they run away, you know your product was disgusting..... Lol

Again sample rate has nothing to do with the frequency response range and second, notes above 20khz have lower harmonics that may affect the sound, not saying they do. Even a 16/44.1 file can have sounds out side of 20hz-20khz, its just not as smooth as it is sampled less often.

Now lets try this again.

Will 24/192 files play on a 24/96 player will good enough down sampling (1/2 the samples) to be exactly like 24/96 files or should I just buy 24/96 files to start?

Is there a site that gives you access to all formats if you buy one? Right now if I bough a 24/192 file from HD tracks and wantes 24/96 I would have to pay again, kinda lame...

How do you know if the files are mastering quality recorded in 24/192 or up-sampled, I can't see them charging more for up-sampling a file and some albums are not available in 24/192 only 24/96 so I assume they are real 24/192 files?

I'm looking at getting an iBasso DX90 do the DX90 and X5 both take 2x128gb cards? Is there any player that will hold more in the price range? I think the Pono is the same...

I would really like a service where I got the physical CD or Vinyl+hi-rez download... Amazon get on this...

Last can FLAC, and ALAC be any bit and sampling rate? In iTunes my ALAC hi-rez files are all over the place for bitrates listed, from 6000kps to 60,000kps, this has to be an error?

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 13
  CD's are only 16/44.1, I'm talking about buying 24/192 tracks and sample rate has nothing to do with the frequency response range...

Again sample rate has nothing to do with the frequency response range and second, notes above 20khz have lower harmonics that may affect the sound, not saying they do. Even a 16/44.1 file can have sounds out side of 20hz-20khz, its just not as smooth as it is sampled less often.

Now lets try this again.

Will 24/192 files play on a 24/96 player will good enough down sampling (1/2 the samples) to be exactly like 24/96 files or should I just buy 24/96 files to start?

Is there a site that gives you access to all formats if you buy one? Right now if I bough a 24/192 file from HD tracks and wantes 24/96 I would have to pay again, kinda lame...

How do you know if the files are mastering quality recorded in 24/192 or up-sampled, I can't see them charging more for up-sampling a file and some albums are not available in 24/192 only 24/96 so I assume they are real 24/192 files?

I'm looking at getting an iBasso DX90 do the DX90 and X5 both take 2x128gb cards? Is there any player that will hold more in the price range? I think the Pono is the same...

I would really like a service where I got the physical CD or Vinyl+hi-rez download... Amazon get on this...

Last can FLAC, and ALAC be any bit and sampling rate? In iTunes my ALAC hi-rez files are all over the place for bitrates listed, from 6000kps to 60,000kps, this has to be an error?

That normal CDs only have 16/44.1 was my point. Take a 24/192 file, properly downsample it to 16/44.1 and try a blind ABX test. If you can reliably hear the difference in a blind test you win a price. :wink: Only very few people can hear the difference and you need good equipment as well.

The bitrates listed are correct, they are average and depend heavily on the sample rate and bit depth, the more of each, the larger the file... EDIT: wait, 60,000kps seems really too high indeed, around 6,000 kbps is what you usually get with a 24bit/192khz file...

Cheers,
K

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 13

That normal CDs only have 16/44.1 was my point. Take a 24/192 file, properly downsample it to 16/44.1 and try a blind ABX test. If you can reliably hear the difference in a blind test you win a price. :wink: Only very few people can hear the difference and you need good equipment as well.

The bitrates listed are correct, they are average and depend heavily on the sample rate and bit depth, the more of each, the larger the file... EDIT: wait, 60,000kps seems really too high indeed, around 6,000 kbps is what you usually get with a 24bit/192khz file...

Cheers,
K

According to itunes Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac is 8662 kbps 96khz and The Chain is 31,271kbps 96khz lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back