Hi res music and my yamaha rx-v479 av reciever
Mar 20, 2017 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kylan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm trying to reach audio nirvana with my hi res files but not sure what sound processing i should employ. i know its silly but want advice of what is proper sound even tho it may or may not sound good to me. the RX-V479 employs a direct mode for music listening that i believe only uses my 2 front speakers. but if i turn it off it goes to the center channel plus the front speakers. i know for one this mode sounds louder but is it audiophile correct?? it does sound better to my ears and more full with the center employed. but the direct mode sounds good too when turned up! i love my center channel but is it wrong if you are wanting the best sound? thanks in advance for any info! 

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 15
  Hey guys, I'm trying to reach audio nirvana with my hi res files but not sure what sound processing i should employ. i know its silly but want advice of what is proper sound even tho it may or may not sound good to me. the RX-V479 employs a direct mode for music listening that i believe only uses my 2 front speakers. but if i turn it off it goes to the center channel plus the front speakers. i know for one this mode sounds louder but is it audiophile correct?? it does sound better to my ears and more full with the center employed. but the direct mode sounds good too when turned up! i love my center channel but is it wrong if you are wanting the best sound? thanks in advance for any info! 

Whatever sounds best to your ears is the correct settings to use.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 15
The thing is does it sound good to you? What else waters? Don't worry about labels.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 15
I've decided i enjoy the 3 speaker output but just thought id get some insight of what is going on between the two, as far as what I'm hearing. makes for fun discussion at least. there is a difference and I'm just trying to figure out what the difference is between direct and the other mode that is putting my center channel in the mix. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 15
Ideally you want to listen to stereo music in stereo....Your center channel isnt designed for music reproduction...That being said hopefully all your speakers are of the same make and series,and if so,and you like 3 channel better,knock yourself out.

If your speakers arent matching make and series that can create some sonic issues as different companies use different cones,crossovers,crossover points,etc...which can make the music sound"not good"

From a tech standpoint,any audiophile will tell you "no" do not use 3 channel...but youre the one doing the listening,not us.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 15
  Ideally you want to listen to stereo music in stereo....Your center channel isnt designed for music reproduction...That being said hopefully all your speakers are of the same make and series,and if so,and you like 3 channel better,knock yourself out.

If your speakers arent matching make and series that can create some sonic issues as different companies use different cones,crossovers,crossover points,etc...which can make the music sound"not good"

From a tech standpoint,any audiophile will tell you "no" do not use 3 channel...but youre the one doing the listening,not us.

interesting! yes i have all matching speakers. i have Def Technology 5.1 sat pro series about 10 yrs old! still kicks butt! just can't decide what i like. lol both sound amazing, just love my center channel! adds a bit of something i can't put my finger on! but yes my speakers are all make and series.. 2 fronts, center and 2 rears. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 15
DefTechs are great speakers...i have Sandy's newest creation GoldenEar T2s for my setup...best speakers under 5000.00 ive ever heard.

As i said before man,if you like what you hear,do it
L3000.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 15
  I've decided i enjoy the 3 speaker output but just thought id get some insight of what is going on between the two, as far as what I'm hearing. makes for fun discussion at least. there is a difference and I'm just trying to figure out what the difference is between direct and the other mode that is putting my center channel in the mix. 

Normally the center channel is the channel for vocals, in a 5,1 or 7.1 setup.
But you only have the front right and front left and center channel connected to the Yamaha?
Any chance the center channel is really a sub-woofer?
(like for a 2.1 setup).

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 15
No I have a dedicated sub. I guess the center is just putting out the vocals along with the fronts giving it a more fuller sound.

Actually no.
The center isnt just reproducing the vocals in this case,its reproducing the entire spectrum,which isnt the intended usage of a center channel.If it was a SACD and you had a SACD player and it was being decoded into 5.1,then yes thats where the vocals would be coming from.

You should read up on vintage quad receivers...they did kind of what youre doing but out to 4 speaker,and many had a little joystick so that you could dial in what came from what speaker...the prehistoric Dolby 5.1

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 15
  Actually no.
The center isnt just reproducing the vocals in this case,its reproducing the entire spectrum,which isnt the intended usage of a center channel.If it was a SACD and you had a SACD player and it was being decoded into 5.1,then yes thats where the vocals would be coming from.

You should read up on vintage quad receivers...they did kind of what youre doing but out to 4 speaker,and many had a little joystick so that you could dial in what came from what speaker...the prehistoric Dolby 5.1

interesting, well i think i have a decent ear and it sounds fantastic to me. like i say I'm listening to hi res files on a USB stick plugged into my yamaha. but for the intended sound, it should just be coming from the left and right i suppose eh? btw as an aside, i turned off my sub so its not working. need a new one and have my front speakers as large. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Yes,again stereo is two channel(L/R)...sure you can run it into dozens of speakers if you want(ala multi room/zone) and if youre liking what youre hearing dont let me or anyone else tell you otherwise.

I use a receiver made in 1971 as my HP amp,and to my ears i prefer it over new dedicated HP amps,so I understand your perspective...do what makes your ears happy,science be damned.   

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 15
What is interesting tho is when it is in direct mode the panel is in dim mode saying direct but when I turn off direct mode the panel of my receiver lights up and shows the title if the song. Weird eh?

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 15
I had an early 2000s Yamaha receiver for awhile that did a bunch of crap I never did completely wrap my brain around,so yeah that doesnt shock me.

I "think" direct is the same as pass through,so its just sending the file passively,un-biased/EQd/concert hall-ed to the speakers

Once you turn direct off any presets you have selected get applied to the file...thats my semi educated theory anyways.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for the info! Ya I call Yamaha and they can never tell me anything! Ok I'm listening to WASP track from LA Woman album. Direct mode def has less punch. And my sub is unplugged! Just when I was happy with direct!! Haha def sounds more dynamic and bass with direct off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back