hi quality jazz recordings (newbie warning)
Sep 3, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #19 of 42
My current list:

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Diana Krall - the girl in another room CD
Miles Davis - sketches of spain, kind of blue, miles smiles
Thelonius Monk - straight, no chaser

I am getting three more CDs today though:

T. Monk - Brilliant Corners
Dianna Krall - All for you: A dedication to the Nat King Cole trio
Patricia Barber - Companion

The thing is, last week the local store had a special. Buy $50+ in CDs, get $10 off. Meaning a fourth CD is in order as a possiblity. Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald are options. Can anyone recomend specific albums? For a 4th album, I'd prefer a female vocalist if other artists are recomended.

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #20 of 42
Recomended in my Dianna Kral lsection:

Shirley Horn

can anyone recomend an album
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kfh227

Shirley Horn

wink.gif

Though you cannot really go 'wrong' with any of her albums, among my favourites are:

Here's to life
The main ingredient
Light out of darkness
You won't forget me

And if you want to get a completely 'different' view of her, I'd try some of her earlier recordings as well, like maybe
"Loads of Love" or "Shirley Horn with Horns" (1963)

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kfh227

Shirley Horn

wink.gif

Who could have done such a thing...
wink.gif

A sure bet about Horn's CD: The main ingredient (Verve 314 529 55-2)

And now lets talk about: Helen Merrill.... I know I'll kill your wallet....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #23 of 42
In the area of small ensemble instrumental cool, bop, and hard bop, the Rudy Van Gelder collection at www.fantasyjazz.com includes some 20bit remasters of excellent 50s and 60s recordings at very good prices. ECM also has some wonderful sounding recordings. I recently aquired and am enjoying Tomas Stanko's "Soul of Things"

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
I recently aquired and am enjoying Tomas Stanko's "Soul of Things"

I hate trumpet... I dont know.... maybe it's something link to the worst wake up call I can imagine...
biggrin.gif

BUT, I have listen to the small samples we can find On CD Now and it sounded much interesting.

Amicalement

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #25 of 42
Once again for the recomendations! Written down and off to the store shortly. Of course, I'll be back wtih my purchases/comments. Might not posts for several days though.

Karl

Sep 3, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #26 of 42
The jazz bug hit me HARD a couple of years ago, and since then I've developed a modest collection of jazz spanning all the sub-genres: dixieland, bop, swing, fusion, etc. Calling upon the hypothetical "desert island" question, if there are a handful of albums I could not live without, they would be these:

1. Lester Young Lester Young With The Oscar Peterson Trio. I'm not sure why I'm so quick to cite this as my all-time favorite jazz album, but it is. Lots of jazz fans/historians say Lester Young was not at the top of his game anymore when this album was recorded, but I strongly disagree. You can feel the years in Lester's playing...and I guess that's what makes the album so special. Lester was nicknamed "Pres" (aka President of the Saxophone)...pick this up and you'll see that he was aptly named that.

2. Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus. Sonny is an amazing tenor and this is widely considered his best album. He's my favorite hard-bop saxophonist...with Coltrane a very close second.

3. Billie Holiday Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday (Columbia). This 2-disc compilation of 1930's Billie Holiday recordings was so good, I ended up getting the 10-disc set from which these tracks were taken. I still listen to this compilation for convenience, and it's a great intro to Lady Day. She may not have had vocal skills like Ella Fitzgerald, but as a stylist, the emotion shines through all of her songs...

4. John Coltrane My Favorite Things. I had watched The Sound of Music so often during childhood that I never imagined that Trane could breathe new life into this song. Did he ever! If you end up collecting a lot of live Coltrane, you'll hear LOTS of different versions of My Favorite Things.

5. Cannonball Adderly Somethin' Else. Miles Davis is often argured as being the bandleader on this album instead of saxophonist Adderly. Who cares? They both sound great! You'll love the opening song "Autumn Leaves".

6. Charlie Parker Boss Bird. Even if you're a vegetarian, you gotta have some Bird!!! This is a very inexpensive set, but you get a lot great Bird tunes that you'd have to buy on two separate (and expensive) box sets from Savoy and Verve. Suprisingly, the music here sounds better than on the Savoy set I own! This is one of the best ways to get started with Charlie Parker...

I'd better stop before I start rambling about my entire collection. I hope you will enjoy the process of discovery with jazz collecting as much as I did!

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 42
As far as female jazz vocalists go, I would have to also recommend Ella. Her title "First Lady of Song" is well deserved. I would start with her "songbooks" the Cole Porter set is well liked.

In a more modern vein and somewhat less well known, I would also like to recommend Pat Metheny "As Fall Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls". Put it on and crank it up late at night, possibly with a nice glass of wine. Very original and very good.

-Z

Sep 4, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #29 of 42
kfh227:
If you're still looking for recommendations of female jazz vocalist: IMO the most outstanding of the 'younger generation' female jazz vocalists is Tierney Sutton. Interesting choice of repertoire, fantastic accompaniment, brilliant sound (all of her 4 albums are on Telarc), unbelievable secure in her singing from a technical point of view (phrasing, intonation) and - most important - extremely musical.
Really,among my 200 (or so) CDs with jazz vocalists, hers are among the most cherished.
Just listen to "A Timeless Place (The Peackocks) from her debut album "Unsung Heroes". The art of jazz singing hardly gets any better than this.

Sep 4, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #30 of 42
I'll have to go with Jazz at the Pawnshop, my father owns the CD and I've ripped it to APE, and the soundstage is sheerly amazing. It feels so open and airy, like I've been placed in the center of the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back