Hi new member here! I need your recommendations. thanks!
Apr 3, 2014 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

100+ Head-Fier
I have been lurking here in head-fi for so long that today I decided to finally make an account. Hi, I am Bryan. I look forward to learning and also being able to share information to people in this community.

Btw, here are some of the gears I have acquired through the years:

gears sold/given to friends:

Sennheiser earbuds (can't remember the models)
Sennheiser PX100
Sennheiser HD201
Superlux HD381f
Denon AH-D1100
UE Metro-fi 220
Fiio E7
Fiio E1

gears I use today:

AMP/DAC/DAP

Fiio E17
Encore Electronics ENMAB
Bravo Audio Ocean (with NOS RCA 12AU7)
Fiio E9
Sansa Clip+
Hisoundaudio AMP3M
Ipod 5.5g
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini

Headphones/IEMs

AKG K701
Sennheiser HD485
Superlux HD668B
Alessandro MS1i
Westone UM3X
Dunu DN-1000
Soundmagic ES18

my current desktop setup is PC -- E17(DAC) -- Bravo Ocean -- K701
I plan on upgrading the amp and/or dac when I have extra money
I am torn between the ALO pam am and the Woo WA6. The pan am + passport is almost the same price as the Woo WA6 here in our country. But the WA6 has no built in DAC and I only have the E17 as dac so I may need to buy an extra dac for it. 

Is the built in DAC of the Pan Am already good? And If I decide to go for the WA6, what would you guys recommend for a DAC? ODAC? Bifrost? I'm also planning on saving up for an LCD-2 in the future so a setup that would be great for it and also my K701 would be awesome.

Lastly, I have read from multiple threads that the LCD-2 is an upgrade from the HD600/HD650. Should I go and buy HD600/650 first or just shoot directly to the LCD-2? I want a complement to my K701 and I think those phones would do it for me. 

Thanks in advance!

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 6
The ODAC is very good, and by objective scientific measurements, reproduces sound in the digital to analog conversion with complete transparency within the range of human hearing.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 6
HD650 isn't so interesting as a complement to K701 (and HD600 is even more similar to it). You might want to try a planar such as HE500 instead.

+1 on ODAC.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 6
I just realized I wrote "subjective" scientific measurements above. You were supposed to catch that for me (I fixed it). LOL

I knew what you meant. The only alternative I could think of was some sort of Harman thing, where they take a poll and call it science but that didn't make sense in context. I'll PM you next time. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys! I've always thought that the DAC should be the most transparent in the signal chain, so the ODAC might be the dac for me If I chose the WA6. But how does the odac compare to the internal dac of the Pan Am? 

So I should go straight to orthos then? I'll try the HE-500 and the new HE-560 when it arrives in our local headphone store. Oh yeah the LCD-2 also. But I'll try HD600/HD650 first since all of these phones are available for auditioning in the store. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back