Hi, new and looking for advice on Orthos!
Jul 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vanhiel

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I wanted to say thanks for the great forum.  It helped me a lot when I first got back into Hi-FI and got my Grado 225i's.  But I find I'm looking to upgrade and the Grado sound isn't doing it for me anymore.  Since the Grados I've gotten a pair of B&W CM5's, which well have a totally different sound signature that I found I absolutely love.

After giving some cans a try at the local Hi-Fi shop, I found that I really like the smoother and more extended sound of Orthos compared to standard phones.  They sound more like my B&W's and less like KEF's which I decided against when I got the speakers.  I tried the HiFiMan HE500 and HE6 units and would have walked out with a HE6 and Lyr if I had not remembered hearing about Audeze.  But the nearest dealer is unfortunately 7 hours away on the other side of the state in NYC so hearing them before I buy is out of the cards...  Hence why I'm here.

For reference, I listen to Metal, Industrial, Rock of all kinds and some Electronic.  So stuff that's on the harder side to reproduce properly due to the wall of sound that it is.  And my current setup is a Peachtree Decco65 into the B&W CM5's.

Now from what I'm reading, the Audeze cans have a somewhat darker sound than the HE6's?  And most people seem to feel they are a bit more forgiving, which for most of what I listen to is a very good thing on both accounts.  And being able to drive them with just about anything is certainly a bonus as well so I could get a portable amp/dac combo for portable use with a iPod or laptop.

So the questions I have...
1) Do you guys think the Audeze would be a good fit with the types of music I listen to and the sound I like from my current setup?  Or would the HE6 or even something else be better?
2) If Audeze what about LCD2 vs 3?  And why?
3) Any amp suggestions to go with the cans you suggest?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions / opins!

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hi all,

I wanted to say thanks for the great forum.  It helped me a lot when I first got back into Hi-FI and got my Grado 225i's.  But I find I'm looking to upgrade and the Grado sound isn't doing it for me anymore.  Since the Grados I've gotten a pair of B&W CM5's, which well have a totally different sound signature that I found I absolutely love.

After giving some cans a try at the local Hi-Fi shop, I found that I really like the smoother and more extended sound of Orthos compared to standard phones.  They sound more like my B&W's and less like KEF's which I decided against when I got the speakers.  I tried the HiFiMan HE500 and HE6 units and would have walked out with a HE6 and Lyr if I had not remembered hearing about Audeze.  But the nearest dealer is unfortunately 7 hours away on the other side of the state in NYC so hearing them before I buy is out of the cards...  Hence why I'm here.

For reference, I listen to Metal, Industrial, Rock of all kinds and some Electronic.  So stuff that's on the harder side to reproduce properly due to the wall of sound that it is.  And my current setup is a Peachtree Decco65 into the B&W CM5's.

Now from what I'm reading, the Audeze cans have a somewhat darker sound than the HE6's?  And most people seem to feel they are a bit more forgiving, which for most of what I listen to is a very good thing on both accounts.  And being able to drive them with just about anything is certainly a bonus as well so I could get a portable amp/dac combo for portable use with a iPod or laptop.

So the questions I have...
1) Do you guys think the Audeze would be a good fit with the types of music I listen to and the sound I like from my current setup?  Or would the HE6 or even something else be better?
2) If Audeze what about LCD2 vs 3?  And why?
3) Any amp suggestions to go with the cans you suggest?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions / opins!

Your choice will essentially come down to which sound signature you prefer.  At this level I contend that will more often take priority over the type of music you prefer. 

I prefer the HiFiMan cans (and the HD 800) because they are more neutral.  Others love the smooth, velvet smooth darkness of the Audeze cans.  The LCD 3 is clearly superior or its little brother, but it's also a great deal money more money than not only the LCD 2 but also all the other options you are considering.

If you have not done so already, read about all four of these cans (and more) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

In the end you need to make any necessary drive and hear them before you lay down $1,000 or much more on one of the Audezes.

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response KG,

I do agree with the sound signature idea, hence why I mentioned the B&W speakers I have.  I'm just not sure how they rate on the darkness scale.  Speaker people almost always talk about them being rather dark and smooth so when I heard that about the Audeze...

Thanks for the link, I'll certainly give it a read!

As for listening to them that would certainly be ideal.  But driving 14hrs round trip essentially to just listen to a pair of headphones does seem kind of crazy.  Though so does ordering 1k+ headphones without ever hearing them.  Shame they don't offer any kind of in home trial on the things.  I was reading about a meet in NYC in a few months, perhaps I'll try to get out to that and see what I can hear there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back