Hi, my first post and im already asking questions...
Oct 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gwobbles

New Head-Fier
First of all hello, I'm new to head-fi!

If this is the wrong section then please feel free to delete, move etc...

So my question is:

First of all I am no audiophile, but lately I am curious of how good sound reproduction can enhance my experiences.
I just wanted to ask if the following combinations will give me good results when gaming. I will be playing FPS games 99% of the time. I read around the internet for a good few days now and have settled with these choices:

1: Sennheiser PC 360 + X-Fi Titanium HD
2: Sennheiser PC 350 + Asus Xonar Sense
3: Razer Carcharias + X-Fi Titanium HD

I am hoping to get them either next week or the week after, I just wanted some approval from the people that know there stuff with gaming audio before I sink my student loan into this lol.

I thank you in advance!

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 8
If you don't need a mic, or you're open to the idea of a separate mic, I would get better headphones. The Audio-Technica AD700 is well regarded for affordable competitive gaming, but isn't as good for fun gaming because it lacks bass. The Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 are also good options. Some Fischer Audio headphones are gaining popularity for gaming, like the FA-011.

If you're primarily looking to game, an X-Fi sound card would be a better option than an ASUS card.

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 8
Welcome aboard, and as the saying goes, "Sorry about your wallet."

I came here for much the same reason, actually, after discovering how CMSS-3D Headphone on X-Fi cards was not only convincing with the right headphones, but bordered on being an aural wallhack in the right games. (I don't have a Titanium HD, but the Auzentech-built Prelude and Forte instead. All three are viable choices.)

I haven't used the Sennheiser PC360 (then again, I haven't used anything as a viable gaming headphone that isn't the AD700 or Stax Lambda), but have heard great things for those looking for a headset specifically. However, it's said that you can get far better bang for the buck with standard stereo headphones and a clip-on mic or a desk mic, not to mention having a far greater selection of headphones to choose from. It's your call as to how important that boom mic is to you.

(And one final note: do you really want to sink loan money into this? That money is going to have to be paid back. I'd only consider it for a deal that won't last and is hard to come by, like a vintage Stax Lambda setup with a driver unit at $300 or less...)

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 8
thanks for the input guys, so I have decided that I am definitely getting a Titanium Sound card. I also am happy to lose the boom mic if needed. I actaully just came back from HMV as I was trying out some headphones with music from my iPod. Shame the Sennheiser 558 were not on display for testing, as I would like to hear what they sound like to give me a general idea of what I'll be investing into. On the other hand I liked the Denon AH-D1100 and even more the AH-D2000. Just wondered if either of the Denon headphones will work well for gaming and on that sound card? 

Edit - What about the Xonar Sense with PC 350s? Is that a good combo for entry level?

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 8
Word is that the Denon AH-D2000's on the bassy side. Good if you want thumping explosions, not so good if you want to be able to hear footsteps more easily...but the X-Fi's EQ can solve that easily. However, I'm not sure about their amplification requirements.

As for the Xonar Xense with bundled PC 350, I don't quite feel that it's the best option for gaming, mostly because if you still play older PC games with EAX 3/4/5 support, only the X-Fi will deliver properly (even though Xonars claim to emulate them), but also because it's $300 and comes bundled with a headset that you might end up replacing.

The only other significant difference is whether you end up preferring CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone; some prefer one, others prefer the other. I won't make a comparison myself, but I'll just mention that with a DirectSound3D or OpenAL-based game, CMSS-3D Headphone doesn't try to emulate a speaker system. Instead, it applies the binaural HRTF filters directly to the in-game sound sources in virtual space, such that you even get height cues in the process-something sorely missing in newer titles favoring software-mixed XAudio2 and FMOD.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Ok I think I'm going with wither 558 or 598s now, should I choose the one that suits my wallet better or does the 598 have a lot more to offer when gaming?

Oh and do those two work well with CMSS?

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Haven't heard any of those Sennheiser models, but the general consensus is that they synergize very well with CMSS-3D Headphone.

To me, it seems like the better choice would be to go HD 558 right now, then put the savings toward an even better headphone later on if desired, jumping toward something HD 650-level or better (going by Sennheiser hierarchy, anyway), if only because the reported differences between 555/558 and 595/598 are allegedly subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back