HI-MD impresions
Sep 23, 2005 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

maurus

100+ Head-Fier
I brought a new HI-MD minidisc Sony MZ-NH600. It's european model and it has line-in optical/analog, but it' has "only" 3mW@16ohms as output headphone power (5mW USA model).

Nevertheless... I like the sound, It drive very well my Seen PX and MX series, and also my Senn HD497. It have very loud sound at half volume (16-17 of 30).

I noticied than it drive surprisely well the Senn MX450. I allways prefer the MX400/500 sound over the MX450/550, but the sound of the minidisc in HI-SP (256 Kbps) it's very bass rich and it's a little boomby in MX500. It's very refined and detailed the MZ-NH600 sound with the MX450. This headphones also has a better fit.

But the best sound it's with my PX100, very bass detailed and good mids and highs, with the 6 bands EQ customizable.

Yes. the 6 bands EQ it's awesome. I can config it for each music or each headphones. I thins than the EQ Parametric of last Sony PCDPs it's not as good.

I wondered as good it's a 3mW headphone power. Anothers PCDPs with more power does not sound so well for me and does not drive so well my Senn headpones. And my flash MP3 player Creative MuVo V200 has 5-7mW and his sound it's very inferior.

I put 2-3 CDs in a MDW-80 (now formated at 300MB) standard disc. 8-9 CDs in a new 1GB disc. The removible feature it's awesome and I think it's not expensive memory it you compare it with SD, Compact Flash memories and so on. I use the standar disc in order to store little monograophics of the same artis (For example 3 last CDs of Wilco). And I use de !GB ones in order to store several CDs (8-9) of different artists.

I use allways HI-SP format because I prefer quality to quantity, but if the disc
is old, I can use HI-LP (64Kbps). HI-LP is surprisely good for bitrate, similiar as 128Kbps MP3 and for disc without much sound producion or a great sound I ground to use it (Example: Beach Boys, Zombies, early Beatles and so on).

The battery life it's incredible. I put 1 AA battery 2300mhA and I recorded, played, used menu and EQ for a week and only half of the charge has been consumed. I my Creative MuVo V200 MP3 flash player I has only 12 hours of battery.

The HI-MD it's a recorder. It records its own discs. It record from a computer with USB port (as the MP3 players). But it can record without a computer from any source for its analog or optical line-in. The SP (292 Kbps) or PCM sound (no compression) recorded in a HI-MD it's the very best portable sound than nobody can have.

Overall, I'm happy with my HI-MD Minidisc MZ-NH600 for only 99 €. It was already hour of lower prices in this players, with some disvantages over the news MP3 players, but also with MANY ADVANTAGES for audiophiles.

Thanks and I wait for your expert comments.

-Maurus

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 14
Incidentally you can rip/convert to LP2 (132Kps) using SonicStage and transfer them using USB. Its a compromise between using HiSP and HiLP. Latest version of SS is 3.2. Seems to work quite well. I only use HiSP myself.

Does you have a port for a remote? I've been told the Euro model doesn't.

Sep 23, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 14
Yes,my MZ-NH600 has a remote port.

I think also this minidisc player has some amp. It has a loud sound for its 3mW.

-Maurus

Sep 23, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 14
you said your output is 3mW. that means it is a euro capped model. i dont think there are any custom equalizers in euro capped Hi MD models.

if there are 2 custom eq's, then it is not a 3mW but rather a 5mW model.

cheeers

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 14
FYI, its possible to change the euro model's 3mw to the american 5mw through the setup menu. search throught the www.minidisc.org forums - they have instructions there. it may be necessary with other headphones

Sep 23, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 14
I also have a MZ-NH600D and a muvo v200 like you (see sig), however i think the muvo sounds clearer, more resolved, tighter, more real; to sum it up for me: better (using E2c and at comparable bitrates on mp3/atrac3plus).

I love the advantages the v200 has over the NH600D, like: having the usb plug in unit, way smaller size, drag and drop (big plus since i dont like sonicstage), WAY FASTER TRANSFER TIMES!!

the NH600D has its advantages tho, i have some minidiscs laying around (from my MZ-R500 era) that now thanks to himd hold twice more volume of data, and the value of the minidiscs is awesome, you can just record over them all the times you want; battery life is much better compared to the muvo.

How do you find/like the differences on your units? specially in the sound department

oh btw, be careful with that jogdial, control wheel or whaterever its called; i take a lot of care of my stuff, but over 7 months of use, the wheel just lost sensitivity and now only detects movement in one quadrant, its a PITA to browse folders. If anyone knows how to fix this i would be thankful for the info, i disassembled the unit only to find out the wheel is soldered to the controls PCB, and i dont have a soldering iron that con solder/desolder points that small and recessed :p if theres other way to dissasemble this i would like to know it, thanks.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by veezhun
you said your output is 3mW. that means it is a euro capped model. i dont think there are any custom equalizers in euro capped Hi MD models.

if there are 2 custom eq's, then it is not a 3mW but rather a 5mW model.

cheeers

I brought my MZ-NH600 in Spain and it has 2 custom EQ. Also it has line-in optical/analog and remote port.

The sound its awesome. The MuVo sound it's also good (and also I love the Muvo), but in the sound department the MZ-NH600 with Senn PX100 or PX200 headphones it's near hi-fi for me (in HI-SP mode). It has a good volume at 17 of total 30 steps. And the soun dit's rich and detailed.

I download ocasional mp3s, but I have almost all my music in original CDs, so that I must compress it in any case and I have a big library in SonicStage and I like record from it to the HI-MD.

-Maurus

Sep 25, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seroka2
FYI, its possible to change the euro model's 3mw to the american 5mw through the setup menu. search throught the www.minidisc.org forums - they have instructions there. it may be necessary with other headphones

I see... in EQ custom mode the volume up step 25 not change in euro models.

But for my stuff with portable Senn Headphones MXxxx, HD4xx and PX series the volume it's enough between 15-20.

-Maurus

Sep 26, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 14
I wondered how the sound it's so loud, detailed an clear witn only 3 mw.

I think someting good is in those minidisc players... digital amp?

-Maurus

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by maurus

-Maurus

As far as I know none of the 600 series received a digital amp.

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by maurus

-Maurus

as i said earlier.. the 3mW and 2 custom equalizers are mutually exclusive.. you have the 5 mW version..

also, the 600 does NOT have a digital amp

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by veezhun
as i said earlier.. the 3mW and 2 custom equalizers are mutually exclusive.. you have the 5 mW version..

also, the 600 does NOT have a digital amp

But, It's true than when I set Custom EQ (not in other EQ presets or Normal mode), the volume not up over step 25. Step 25 volume = step 30 volume, as I read it occur in euro models (3mw).

-Maurus

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Check in the unit menu if the AVLS is turned on or off

Sep 26, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mano
Check in the unit menu if the AVLS is turned on or off

Nope, I know. If AVLS feature is ON, the unit stop the volume in 14 step and display a message "AVLS-NO VOLUME OPERATION" for volume > 14.

And veezhun, are you sure I'm a 5 mw unit, not crapped? Euro models not 2 custom EQ allways?

-Maurus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back