hi just wanted to see if these are genuine...
Nov 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tw23

New Head-Fier
hi guys,
i know pretty much everybody here hates beats, but i just wanted to buy some to see what they are like and i saw some refurb ones on newegg, and the price is super cheap (compared to original) so i wanted to see if you guys think they are genuine/authentic.. thanks

Beats Pro ($150): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826696139

Beats Studio ($119): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826323032&ignorebbr=1

if they are real, which ones do you think i should get?

thank you for the help.

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, it's being sold on Newegg, and Newegg is pretty safe. The price is reduced obviously because they're refurbished, but they may also be an older generation of beats. If I was in your position, I would get the Beats Studio, because they have active noise cancellation. However, I would not feel right if I didn't recommend you to the headphone buyer's guide (http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide). You can find headphones there that are much better than anything Dr. Dre.

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 9
  Well, it's being sold on Newegg, and Newegg is pretty safe. The price is reduced obviously because they're refurbished, but they may also be an older generation of beats. If I was in your position, I would get the Beats Studio, because they have active noise cancellation. However, I would not feel right if I didn't recommend you to the headphone buyer's guide (http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide). You can find headphones there that are much better than anything Dr. Dre.

thank you, however the studios are the older gen and the pros look like the current gen.. i was lookin on ebay and the lowest refurbs are $199 so its a $50 reduction also.
and btw i have sony mdr-v6's which i like but i just wanted to get beats to try it.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 9

The noise cancelling of the beats is mediocre for me at least, also it produces a hiss and the headphones Always need batteries to sound. For me the beats Pro for $150 is a solid buy, better sound than Studios, no batteries, more durable, but uncomfortable. However for this price there are headphones that are really competitive, like V-Moda V80 ($120 in amazon.com at this moment, new) and audio technica Ath-m50 ($140 in amazon.com, new) 

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 9
  The noise cancelling of the beats is mediocre for me at least, also it produces a hiss and the headphones Always need batteries to sound. For me the beats Pro for $150 is a solid buy, better sound than Studios, no batteries, more durable, but uncomfortable. However for this price there are headphones that are really competitive, like V-Moda V80 ($120 in amazon.com at this moment, new) and audio technica Ath-m50 ($140 in amazon.com, new) 

I know, I was thinking about the M50's which are the roughly the same price as the beats pro on newegg... However it's a $250 discount so im really tempted to buy it. Im not really an audiophile I just want something that I can go out in public with (my mdv-v6's are so heavy I cant even walk with), okay sound (but not terrible) and durable.. im in high school and even though i hate saying this and sound so stupid look does matter.
AFAIK the M50's do not have a redetachable cord (idk what you call it) so if the cord breaks you can't do anything, correct?

would you buy the beats pro for $150?

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 9
  I know, I was thinking about the M50's which are the roughly the same price as the beats pro on newegg... However it's a $250 discount so im really tempted to buy it. Im not really an audiophile I just want something that I can go out in public with (my mdv-v6's are so heavy I cant even walk with), okay sound (but not terrible) and durable.. im in high school and even though i hate saying this and sound so stupid look does matter.
AFAIK the M50's do not have a redetachable cord (idk what you call it) so if the cord breaks you can't do anything, correct?

would you buy the beats pro for $150?

I understand you, looks does matter for a portable headphone, agree with that. If the Pros in my country cost $150 probably I would not buy it, only for the comfort issue. I would buy the M80/V80 (as i did).

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 9
I wouldn't buy them for $5, kind of like how a vegetarian wouldn't buy meat.

The v6 is really good, but I understand your concerns regarding looks. I'd recommend the ATH WS99, the M 80, UE6000, MDR 1R.. They all look much better than Beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back