Hi, I'm Skyscraper Sax, A Jazz Saxophonist, And I Need Help Choosing Jazz Friendly Closed Perhaps Portable Headphones $200 Or So For Use With Laptop And Android
Jul 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Skyscraper Sax

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi -

I'm a professional Jazz saxophonist (tenor, soprano and alto, in that order more or less...)

I'm looking for a closed headphone that's suitable for Jazz (I play and listen to all styles.  I just laid down tracks for both "The Nearness of You [a Jazz ballad] and Mike Brecker's "African Skies" on my forthcoming CD).

My current sound sources are my Lenovo laptop, often with an Presonus Audiobox, or sometimes my Android (Samsung S3).  I could get a headphone amp if needed, but would prefer a set of phones that don't require one.  My Marantz receiver is in another state at this time.....

My intended use is for listening, composing and playing my wind synth and keyboard controller with Pianoteq.

I'd like to stay around $200.

I need excellent attenuation/isolation since I live in a house with a bunch of people.  They both make noise and would be bothered by open phones at night, since I'll be using the cans after my gigs.

I'd like something that I can put in my laptop bag, but this is not essential.

I have a pair of Grado SR 80's that I really dig, but the broke and are open.

Of concern is the ohm rating (80, 250, etc.).  I find varying reports on whether a 250 ohm can can be driven by an laptop or Android.

Some contenders are (not in any particular order, and some outside my price range):

Audiotechnica ATH M-50

Sennheiser HD 25-1, Momentum, HD 280 Pro, HD 380 Pro

BeyerDynamic TP 50, DT 1350, Dt 770, DT 250

I used the HD 280's on my recording.  I can see them getting uncomfortable after a while.  We used the BD 770's while mixing.  Not so portable and don't know about the isolation.

Thanks for any recommendations!

- Skyscraper Sax

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 5
The Sennheiser HD25 is a sturdy, well-isolating classic, you can currently find the even better sounding consumer version of it, the Sennheiser Amperior, for around ~150$ as retailers are liquidating their stock. Their treble response is a little elevated but not harsh.

I like my DT1350, but beyerdynamic has horrible consistency issues with the model and some come with mismatched channels and varying response curves. For your purposes the DT250 is a better choice.

Also consider the V-Moda M80/XS, you can usually find a pair of these to try out at an electronics/apple store.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 5
The ath m50s are pretty much the best professional studio monitor headphones you can get. These would be helpful if you wore them while preforming because you could monitor your music with one ear and hear a crowd or something with the other. However the m50s have a bit of an emphasized bass so I'm not sure how well they'd go with jazz music.

Personally (I'm a bit of an audio technica fanboy just so you know. I don't really know much about sennheisers) I'd look into audio technicas high fidelity line. They do highs and mids very well (for example classical or jazz. But then again, they do everything write well except for like rap). Just be sure not to get open air headphones as they'd be unsuitable for your needs. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 5
You're looking for SRH840, a fine jazz headphone, warm and smooth. The only downside is some find the headband heavy but you can mod it if necessary.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Do you have the AKAI EWI? I have one of those - Impedance of under 50 ohms is likely best.

Other than that I have a little mixing desk I can plug it into with a mono audio cable and I can use 600 ohm headphones, or wireless headphones - it beats forgetting the headphones and walking away from the thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back