Hi I'm new!
Aug 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

So_Sweet

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm new to the forums, I just signed up like.. an hour ago.

Well time for my first question!
ph34r.gif

I love my music, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to audio.. So that's why I'm here, I have a few questions:

1. I currently use an Ipod Shuffle, Would the music sound better if It was played on say, an Ipod Nano 4g? I buy my songs from itunes and also in stores.

2. I workout quite a bit and I jog for 30 minutes a day, while I'm jogging my earbuds fallout like.. 2 - 3 times every 3 minutes which is quite annoying, I almost fell once
frown.gif
, Do you guys have any tips on how to keep your earbuds in your ears? I currently use "The Beats by Dr Dre In ear buds" ( I'm sorry I just wanted to try them, I know many people say they are a waste of money and I agree but you can't blame me, after all I am a noob at this.

3. I also use the Denon Ah-D1001's when I'm at home, I don't wear them outside because they make my hair funny looking..
floatsmile.png

Are they considered really good?, And also! I really wanna know how "AMPS"
work, I hear people on forums talking about them all the time, but I never really understood what one did, and when I tried looking it up on google I was thrown into a pile of big words that I did not understand.
angry_face.gif

4. Sorry for numbering my questions but I think it makes my questions easier to read xD, Okay now. When I'm at home, I use my computer to listen to music, I currently have the Asus Xonar Dx soundcard which I love btw, but I reallyyyyyy like to hear better quality music, I'm not unhappy with what I have it's just that I wanna be amazed ya know? So onto the Question, What can I do to improve Audio quality? What would I need to buy? Any specific speaker set up? Tricks? ( Oh btw I use the Logitech Z-2300 as computer speakers I hope they aren't too bad )

The music I listen to consists of like. EVERYTHING!, and I am open to suggestions, I am not rich, I'm only 17 and I don't work anymore. But sometimes If I beg my mom enough she will consider buying me stuff online since I don't have a credit card.
If there are any cheap earbuds that sound better than "The Beats" Please lemme know, I really want something else, they are so.. well lets just say people stare at me when I'm wearing them and they aren't the smallest earbuds there are.

I play Games as well, tf2, css, etc. I am extremely competitive
very_evil_smiley.gif
Whether its on the treadmill (Just gotta outrun the guy beside me right?) Or in game! Ah some stores I shop at locally are.. NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection., A-Power.com - Canada's Best Computer Store and yeahhh.. Where I live there aren't very many audio stores.. So when I buy my headphones, they are all overpriced..

Well anyways, I'm sorry for typing so much
triportsad.gif
and I hope everyone here is as nice as the other forums I'm on, ex. Tomshardware.

dt880smile.png

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by So_Sweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I currently use an Ipod Shuffle, Would the music sound better if It was played on say, an Ipod Nano 4g? I buy my songs from itunes and also in stores.

No, a Nano is not an improvement on the shuffle. I don't know which Shuffle you are using, but the 2g shuffle is at least as good as if not better than a 4gb nano IMO.

Quote:

2. I workout quite a bit and I jog for 30 minutes a day, while I'm jogging my earbuds fallout like.. 2 - 3 times every 3 minutes which is quite annoying, I almost fell once
frown.gif
, Do you guys have any tips on how to keep your earbuds in your ears? I currently use "The Beats by Dr Dre In ear buds" ( I'm sorry I just wanted to try them, I know many people say they are a waste of money and I agree but you can't blame me, after all I am a noob at this.

Try wearing them over your ears like this:

White+JAYS+s-JAYS+in-ear.jpg

Also, follow the proper insertion techniques outlined here to make sure you have a good seal in the first place.

Quote:

3. I also use the Denon Ah-D1001's when I'm at home, I don't wear them outside because they make my hair funny looking..
floatsmile.png

Are they considered really good?

The Ah-D1001 are considered one of the better closed portable headphones in their price range.

Quote:

And also! I really wanna know how "AMPS"
work, I hear people on forums talking about them all the time, but I never really understood what one did, and when I tried looking it up on google I was thrown into a pile of big words that I did not understand.
angry_face.gif

Headphone amps at their core are essentially a way to provide more power to the transducer of your headphones (the part that moves back and forth creating the air vibrations that your ear interprets as sound). More power being available to the transducer essentially makes it easier for the source to control the exact position of the transducer at any point in time. This is an extreme simplification and the exact effect that an amp has on the sound of your setup depends largely on the amp and headphones you are using. As a (very) general rule, the higher the impedance and lower the sensitivity of a headphone, the more "power-hungry" it is and the better it will react to amping.

Quote:

Okay now. When I'm at home, I use my computer to listen to music, I currently have the Asus Xonar Dx soundcard which I love btw, but I reallyyyyyy like to hear better quality music, I'm not unhappy with what I have it's just that I wanna be amazed ya know? So onto the Question, What can I do to improve Audio quality? What would I need to buy? Any specific speaker set up? Tricks? ( Oh btw I use the Logitech Z-2300 as computer speakers I hope they aren't too bad )

The DX is a good card. If you are looking towards a better speaker setup, the speakers themselves should be your first upgrade. You may get better help on the cables/speakers/tweaks forum.

Quote:

If there are any cheap earbuds that sound better than "The Beats" Please lemme know, I really want something else, they are so.. well lets just say people stare at me when I'm wearing them and they aren't the smallest earbuds there are.

Take a look at the Soundmagic PL50 from dealperfect.com. You can get them for $50 USD shipped with a coupon code and they are absolutely tiny and extremely comfortable. I've never tried the beats, so I'm not sure how they compare, but you can read many impressions of the PL50 in the review and appreciation threads.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi,The Dr. Dre buds you mean Tour or Turbine and yes some IEMs are less pricey than Dr. Dre and they sound better like Denon AH-C710, JVC FX500, Cresyn 750E and Klipsch image S4. Actually portable Amplifiers(AMPs) uses for better sound quality and overall more balance, it's also gives more power to the music.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Thanks for the awesome responses guys!
Uhm, I would really like to try out an amp, I am hoping to buy from HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories and is there any small, portable.. Cute? Amps around?

My first step into amp territory was the Fiio E5 and I was very happy with it (For $17). That said, if you're looking to spend somewhat serious money the iBasso T4 is as small and portable as they come.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 11
I also have a Xonar DX and I used to own a D1001 as well. I ran it out of a pimeta amp and it sounded really nice. Pimeta amp can be had for roughly $100-140 used I believe, quite a nice introductory amp. If my memory serves correctly, the bass was punchier and the treble had a bit more energy (not harsh) out of the pimeta compared to straight out of the Xonar.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first step into amp territory was the Fiio E5 and I was very happy with it (For $17). That said, if you're looking to spend somewhat serious money the iBasso T4 is as small and portable as they come.

Wow I saw the "Airhead" on one of the sites and that was 99$ So I thought all Amps must cost a lot xD, I live in Canada, Do you know where I can order online for the iBasso T4, it looks really neat, why is it so cheap? 35$ US?

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Wow I saw the "Airhead" on one of the sites and that was 99$ So I thought all Amps must cost a lot xD, I live in Canada, Do you know where I can order online for the iBasso T4, it looks really neat, why is it so cheap? 35$ US?

The iBasso T4 is not cheap. It costs about the same as an airhead ($109+shipping), which is still on the low end of amp prices, and can be ordered directly from iBasso's site. The Fiio E5 is cheap because it is about as basic as they come. It can be ordered from one of the Chinese sites: dealextreme.com, mp4nation.net , etc.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi New I'm Old

Users who are viewing this thread

Back