Hi - I'm a Newbie here and I REALLY need some advice!
Jul 23, 2008 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

floydiohead

New Head-Fier
Hi All!

I came across this site and I'm really hoping that I can get some good advice on which pair of earphones to buy. Let me first explain a little about my tastes..

I am an aspiring musician in a band, meaning that sound quality is very important to me. I have a very good stereo system at home, and also good PC speakers as I can't listen to music on rubbish systems! Having said that, I can't really afford to spend a great deal on a pair of earphones at the moment. I think my max is going to be around £100-£120.

Now let me tell you this. For the last year, I have been using a pair of Sony MDR-EX90LP's. I have to say, I have always found them to be of a very high standard. They have a very good bass response and also seem to me to have excellent clarity in the mid and high ranges (which is something I really go for). I always found the isolation to be a bit rubbish with them and the build is also a bit shoddy. But, as I said, I thought the sound was really quite excellent and of a very high quality.

Well, two weeks ago, they broke. I thought about getting another pair, but then decided instead to try something different, and get a bit more 'serious'. After doing some research, I opted for a pair of Westone UM1's. When they got delivered (from America as they are so much cheaper) I got this leaflet with them that said:

"immediately out of the box, the majority of in-ear earphones will be a bit "muddy" or "flat" sounding. They usually require a burn-in period of 12 hours actual play time."

Fine I think, and added to that is the time it takes, according to the leaflet, to learn how to set them in your ears properly.

Anyway, since then, I've certainly learnt how to put them in properly, and have found the 'sweet-spots' in my ears, but I have to say this - these UM1's are NOT A PATCH on my old MDR-EX90's. I've been using them for 2 weeks, they fit nicely but the sound is absolutely terrible. Not much bass (even though I definitely have a seal) and hardly any clarity in the mids and highs. Don't get me wrong, the isolation is excellent and the microphonic levels are second to none, but that's about it - the sound is terrible.

So, I'm going to send them back (and take a massive hit on them because of customs and re-shelving rates) and get something else. The question is, what on earth do I get? I'm thinking about the UE super.fi 5's or a pair or Shures but I don't know which ones to get. I guess i'm after a really full sound and a great 'soundstage'...

A. I'd love some help with this
B. Sorry for this being so long!
C. Does anyone want to buy a pair of UM1's from me?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back