Hi! I tie a turban that cover my ears. Can you recommend a good pair of COMPACT in-ears that wouldn't push against my ear?
Dec 5, 2020 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EndAllBeAll

New Head-Fier
I listen to mostly classical type of music, usually I prioritize mid-range, prefer a sound signature that is warm but not repressed mids or highs, detailed and big sounding(it can be intimate or have large soundstage, I like both for different reasons). I'm sensitive to any harsh treble or sibilance, but love the airiness and liveliness of good quality treble. I hate boomy bass, but love detailed and smooth bass.

My current favorites are tin p1 and rha ma750(hated these before burn-in).
I removed the memory covering from ear hooks and use them straight, so I can remove and put in while turban is tied. So I prefer straight wires. Over the ear hook is fine as long as I can convert them to straight, that depends upon their shape. And ideally, nosel should be angled, it makes them more comfortable.

I'm looking for something to complement my previous sets. Neither tin p1 nor rha ma750 are warm. I'm considering V-MODA - Zn at the moment, for a change. These are bass focused. If you have these, is mid-range good enough? How does it's bass feel? I hope it's not boomy.

My budget would be under 500usd. Value for money is more important but I can stretch my budget if they sound really good to me. If I can’t afford these, maybe I would wait longer.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 10
What is your budget? I probably won't have a recommendation, but one of my criteria for IEMs is that I can wear them with a winter hat, so kinda similar to what you're looking for. I currently use Westone UM Pro 50, though I think any of their lineup would work with a turban/hat. I used to use the JAYS qJAYS mk.1, which are so small that they work with a hat. I also used the RHA T20i for a little while, but I honestly don't remember if they were hat compatible (maybe not?). I'd imagine that a (professional) stage monitor like Shure or Sennheiser's Pro range might work as well, though I haven't heard/tried them myself.

The UM Pro 50 have a very warm presentation with quite a bit of bass and beautiful mids; they can be a little congested if the music has a lot of mid-bass. Treble is quite detailed, but not at all strident; overall they're not particularly detailed, but good enough for me. Soundstage is quite large when the music/recording calls for it. Isolation is amazing; fit/seal is a bit finicky, and finding the right tips took me a while, but they're very comfy now that I have the right tips (Symbios). If they're out of your budget you might check out Westone's other offerings. I think their other models might have slightly different tunings, so best to read up. You can also change the tuning somewhat using Knowles dampers, but I haven't tried it.

The qJAYS's signature is about the inverse of the Westone's, with subdued (but very detailed) bass, and a more upfront upper-mids/lower-treble. I would say that the upper-mids/treble are "exciting," though I never found them tiresome. I haven't used them in a little while, but I remember never being dissatisfied with the mid-range. The bass was perfect (for me) if your source has bass boost. Comfort was amazing because they're so small. Isolation was good, but not as good as the Westone. This, of course, is the original model, but I'd imagine the newer ones are similar if not a bit better. There's also a Chi-Fi model that has a similar tiny form factor to the qJAYS, but I really don't know much about them and can't even remember the name.

I didn't use them much, but the T20i sounded to me like the qJAYS with a whole lot more bass. They come with several nozzles for changing the sound slightly. They're kinda bulky, though, and I don't know that they'd work with your turban. Maybe if you have large ears? They're made of metal, kind of heavy, and I did not find them particularly comfortable. They also don't have very good isolation, and they require quite a bit of power. Overall, I guess I wouldn't recommend them.

As a general recommendation, I'd say look for stage monitors that are designed to sit flush with the ear.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 10
What is your budget? I probably won't have a recommendation, but one of my criteria for IEMs is that I can wear them with a winter hat, so kinda similar to what you're looking for. I currently use Westone UM Pro 50, though I think any of their lineup would work with a turban/hat. I used to use the JAYS qJAYS mk.1, which are so small that they work with a hat. I also used the RHA T20i for a little while, but I honestly don't remember if they were hat compatible (maybe not?). I'd imagine that a (professional) stage monitor like Shure or Sennheiser's Pro range might work as well, though I haven't heard/tried them myself.

The UM Pro 50 have a very warm presentation with quite a bit of bass and beautiful mids; they can be a little congested if the music has a lot of mid-bass. Treble is quite detailed, but not at all strident; overall they're not particularly detailed, but good enough for me. Soundstage is quite large when the music/recording calls for it. Isolation is amazing; fit/seal is a bit finicky, and finding the right tips took me a while, but they're very comfy now that I have the right tips (Symbios). If they're out of your budget you might check out Westone's other offerings. I think their other models might have slightly different tunings, so best to read up. You can also change the tuning somewhat using Knowles dampers, but I haven't tried it.

The qJAYS's signature is about the inverse of the Westone's, with subdued (but very detailed) bass, and a more upfront upper-mids/lower-treble. I would say that the upper-mids/treble are "exciting," though I never found them tiresome. I haven't used them in a little while, but I remember never being dissatisfied with the mid-range. The bass was perfect (for me) if your source has bass boost. Comfort was amazing because they're so small. Isolation was good, but not as good as the Westone. This, of course, is the original model, but I'd imagine the newer ones are similar if not a bit better. There's also a Chi-Fi model that has a similar tiny form factor to the qJAYS, but I really don't know much about them and can't even remember the name.

I didn't use them much, but the T20i sounded to me like the qJAYS with a whole lot more bass. They come with several nozzles for changing the sound slightly. They're kinda bulky, though, and I don't know that they'd work with your turban. Maybe if you have large ears? They're made of metal, kind of heavy, and I did not find them particularly comfortable. They also don't have very good isolation, and they require quite a bit of power. Overall, I guess I wouldn't recommend them.

As a general recommendation, I'd say look for stage monitors that are designed to sit flush with the ear.
Can you comfortably wear Westone UM Pro 50 as straight without ear hooks, if you were to remove the memory from ear hooks? Don’t remove memory, just try with the wire coming downwards, with left and right sides interchanged.

I love rha tunning. I’ve tried trueconnect as well, very different sound signature from ma750 and they were amazing, my favorite sounding tws that I have tried but their comfort was not good for me. From pictures of t20i, they seem too bulky for turban. Heaviness is fine, but they shouldn't protrude.
It seems rha is shutting down, a lot of their products are out of stock and they haven’t released anything new since 2018.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 10
My thoughts to share as I wear a turban as well, I made do with putting my se846's in before tying my turban a couple of years ago. I didn't have any such luck with the iSine20's, but CA comet's were great for wearing under the turban without creating any pressure on the ear. I didn't like the ear pressure from the final audio e4000, but we all have different geometry and what didn't work for me may work for you. In the end, you will know what fatigues your ear physically better than anyone here, as to your sound signature i like the comet but the 846 probably has more to offer in the detail. Good luck with the search, and keep us updated.

Dec 6, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 10
My thoughts to share as I wear a turban as well, I made do with putting my se846's in before tying my turban a couple of years ago. I didn't have any such luck with the iSine20's, but CA comet's were great for wearing under the turban without creating any pressure on the ear. I didn't like the ear pressure from the final audio e4000, but we all have different geometry and what didn't work for me may work for you. In the end, you will know what fatigues your ear physically better than anyone here, as to your sound signature i like the comet but the 846 probably has more to offer in the detail. Good luck with the search, and keep us updated.
It seems CA comet is discontinued. How much do se846 push against your ear? Can you comfortably put in se846 straight while interchanging left and right sides, perhaps if you use a cable with smaller connector?

I’m also looking for the earbud styled ones, so I can easily slide them in. I might also try to mold the stem into a more compact shape with heatgun if made of plastic.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...d-how-do-they-compare-with-each-other.948902/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/
Right now, tin p1 had been amazing for sound quality and comfort, they are so compact. Just remove the memory covering from ear hooks and interchange left and right sides – it has removable mmcx connector, so you can easily correct the sides. And use eartips that go all the way down the nozel to make them more compact. You would need a good dac/amp to get good quality out of these, if you don’t already. I have nx4 dsd that I strap to my phone, but you should look for one with Bluetooth. Bass is still not good but it had been fine for me. I listen to mostly shabads, classical, and informational stuff. I don't like these for movies and a lot of the pop songs.
They have released a new model – tin p2, it seems more bulky from pictures and double the price, but bass is supposed to be better and perhaps other stuff too and perhaps worse in some ways too.

Have you tried over ears? If so, did you find one that doesn't distort while wearing over the turban. I bought hifiman sundara, while amazing sound, these distort so much while wearing over the turban, so I would be returning these. I suppose we would need ones with harder driver.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Can you comfortably wear Westone UM Pro 50 as straight without ear hooks, if you were to remove the memory from ear hooks? Don’t remove memory, just try with the wire coming downwards, with left and right sides interchanged.

I love rha tunning. I’ve tried trueconnect as well, very different sound signature from ma750 and they were amazing, my favorite sounding tws that I have tried but their comfort was not good for me. From pictures of t20i, they seem too bulky for turban. Heaviness is fine, but they shouldn't protrude.
It seems rha is shutting down, a lot of their products are out of stock and they haven’t released anything new since 2018.
I tried them with left and right swapped and they really don't fit that way, unfortunately. They're designed to fit flush with the outside of your ear when worn normally, which causes them to stick out at a weird angle when reversed. With the Symbios they hardly stay in my ear. May be a bit better with the stock tips, but I find those to be really uncomfortable and/or to sound bad, so I didn't try.
I'll try to remember what the small, qJAYS-like Chi-Fi IEMs were.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 10
I tried them with left and right swapped and they really don't fit that way, unfortunately. They're designed to fit flush with the outside of your ear when worn normally, which causes them to stick out at a weird angle when reversed. With the Symbios they hardly stay in my ear. May be a bit better with the stock tips, but I find those to be really uncomfortable and/or to sound bad, so I didn't try.
I'll try to remember what the small, qJAYS-like Chi-Fi IEMs were.
What if the wire is coming out of the marked point in blue?
f_InkedInkedwestone_umpro50_new-14_LI.jpg

Upside down picture,
Inked61LEHVZNJQL._AC_SL1000__LI.jpg

Perhaps I can mold the marked point with heat-gun or some other way such that it come down from there.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 10
It seems CA comet is discontinued. How much do se846 push against your ear? Can you comfortably put in se846 straight while interchanging left and right sides, perhaps if you use a cable with smaller connector?
Have you tried over ears? If so, did you find one that doesn't distort while wearing over the turban. I bought hifiman sundara, while amazing sound, these distort so much while wearing over the turban, so I would be returning these. I suppose we would need ones with harder driver.

The 846 fit well, i never ran them straight, had the ear loops on before i tied. I found the comet a bit more comfortable and easier to run straight.

For over ears, i have the LCD2c that I enjoy atm, I had no issues with the HD800 or the T1's but admittedly I don't tie a Dumala, more a delhi style so I have made things work.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 10
What if the wire is coming out of the marked point in blue?
f_InkedInkedwestone_umpro50_new-14_LI.jpg

Upside down picture,
Inked61LEHVZNJQL._AC_SL1000__LI.jpg
Perhaps I can mold the marked point with heat-gun or some other way such that it come down from there.
At least for me, it only fits the way it's designed to fit. You can see from the picture you posted that the IEM fits within the antihelix, antiragus, and tragus.
20201207_094528.jpg

You can see in my image that it sits well outside the ear when flipped upside down. It wouldn't work with a hat or turban unless you wear it very loose.

Also, for what it's worth, the qJAYS also sit outside the tragus, but only very slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back