hi... i need a little help choosing a dap...
May 3, 2004 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

djbill

New Head-Fier
the iriver imp-550 or the dell DJ 15GB... i know they aren't compared... but:
-the radio is not omportant to me.
- i would choose the imp-550 but what disturb me is the fact that whenever I have a new song I have to burn a new CD....
- what disturbd me in the DJ is that it doesnt have a replacable battery....
- if only that Muvo2 4GB was avialible....

May 3, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 13
buy the dell DJ. you won't be dissapointed.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 13
one is a cd-based player and one is a hard-disk based player. its like comparing apples and oranges. between those 2, i would choose the dell dj anyday.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 13
Once I have enough money saved I am getting the Ihp-140 as they are getting cheaper here in Oz all the time, what with the dollar doing well against the greenback.
it is much better now than say a year back when prices were ridiculous when dollar conversion had been done.

May 3, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by djbill
thanks u..
do i have to use a software or this is a drag 'n' drop player?
is there a remote control?

Yes, you need to install software. If you have read any of Austonia's comments regarding the Dell DJ, do not install the crappy software that comes with the player. Spend $25 and get DUDEBOX EXPLORER by Red Chair Explorer. It blow the other software away.

The Dell DJ comes with a basic remote. You could also spend $50-70 and get the Creative Labs NJB3/Zen/Muvo2 remote since Creative Labs designed and build the Dell DJ. Not all the functions will work, but it does have an LCD display that will display the song title.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

- i would choose the imp-550 but what disturb me is the fact that whenever I have a new song I have to burn a new CD....

You can just use CD-RWs and packet-writing. With packet-writing, you can add and delete files to and from the CD-RW at will. You can add just one file, or delete just one file. And the imp-550 supports this.

May 4, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

so, with the Dudebox I can use it like a drag and drop player?

not sure with dudebox though. but if you meant dragging and dropping it in through windows explorer (i.e. windows seeing it as an external hard-drive), then it is most definitely not possible. one player that can do this natively is the iriver ihp series. get that if drag and drop is one of your main concerns.

May 6, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 13
the dell software isnt THAT bad. id keep my 25 dollars. its actually a relly easy player 2 use, and i believe the battery is removable. i havnt yet, but if u remove those sticky legs on the back, u can unscrew the whole backing, where the battery lies in its full glory. i actually lost one of those sticky legs because i removed it. i guess it never stuck well enuf back on.

May 7, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 13
What's wrong with a CD player? Remember, you can't just pop in a CD and listen to it with a Dell DJ, iPod, iHP, etc. Not to mention that these HDs, though durable as they may be, are still tons more delicate and fragile vs. even the cheapest CD players. If you're the clumsy type and drop your electronics like there's no tomorrow, stay the heck away from HD players. Unless you like being out $400 on one solid drop to a concrete floor.

May 7, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 13
i personally find a hd player a little more convenient than a cd player + cd wallet. however, i guess theres nothign wrong with a cd player if it suits ur needs, just like theres nothing wrong with a hard drive player if it suits ur needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back