Hi Guys! PC Audio Setup help (headphones)?... Please?
Jan 22, 2015 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Blubber

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have decided to invest in a audio system setup for my computer.

Primarily I will be watching movies and listening to music.

My budget is around the $400 - 500 mark.

I have been told I only really need a DAC + a decent set of headphones, is this true?

Any recommendations?

Thank you all!!!

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 12
No, in every digital signal chain there's a DAC, an amplifier and then the headphones.
I cannot give you a recommendation for any of these, but maybe you won't want to buy a DAC, because maybe you have a soundcard built into your computer which is good enough. Maybe you also won't want an amplifier, because even the small headphone amplifier built into your soundcard is good enough for you, only your listening can tell. You though certainly should not invest a lot of this money into DAC/amp, a good headphone does make the bigger difference.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Open headphones have a better soundstage for movies (and music) than closed headphones, but require that you be able to use them in private because they leak sound (both ways). Do you want open or need closed?

A good internal sound card can offer virtual surround useful for movies. Do you have a PC that you can install the soundcard in?

Do you have any sound preference for listening to music: bass heavy? Brighter (treble heavy)?

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for both replies,

In terms of open or closed, I would prefer closed back headphones.

I was looking at the Bayerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm edition,

But I understand this particular headphone requires extra juice.

What DAC/amp do you recommend for optimal performance?

Thanks

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Depends on how much you want to spend. Depends on how important movie watching is. And depends on whether or not you have a desktop computer that can use an internal sound card or a laptop (which can't).

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 12
I have a budget of around $150 - 200 for a DAC and amp.

I don't have an internal sound card and plan to use the DAC and amp exclusively.

Movies and Music is the top priority.

Thanks/

Would the Magni 2 and Modi 2 set be able to do the job?

What are some cheaper alternatives to this (total cost $400 here in Aus)

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 12
You might want to look at some of the Asian brands which can be bought from international vendors since you are in Australia.

For instance, FiiO E10K, but not sure how well it does with the DT770 Pro 250 since it is rated for 150 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back