Hi Guys! New and looking for some good portables
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

itsthemonster

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Not exactly new to the forums but have only gathered enough courage to post now. I'm looking for some circumaural or supraaural portables that are under $120 (willing to stretch to $150). I mostly listen to Jpop (I know what some of you might think) and some songs from video game soundtracks (chiptune, anime-esque). I'm looking for a pretty flat-ish type signature or at least good, forward mids. I'm mostly using these while on the bus and occasionally at home. I'm hoping to buy an amp of some kind soon but for now music is coming out of my Galaxy Nexus and PowerAMP. I don't need extreme isolation but it would be nice if the headphones didn't leak too much and came with a case of some kind. By the way, I live in Australia so local prices would be extremely appreciated. If you need some examples of what I listen to then... Here you go:

So I hope that you, the people of the amazing Head-Fi (not even flattery) can help me find something that I'll like. 
THANKS GUYS!!!
(If you've managed to read all the way to the end... CONGRATULATIONS!!!)

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Brainwavz HM5 seems to fit your criteria fairly well. Overall great sound quality with good mids. The challenge would be to find one is australia(idk really).

The OP is in one of the the best places to buy this headphone. The Brainwavz HM5s are a Chinese manufactured headphone that are available under a number of different brands: http://www.head-fi.org/t/611575/jaycar-pro-monitor-headphones

The Jaycar version, which is sold in Australia, is actually one of the the cheapest versions of it: https://www.jaycar.com/productView.asp?SUBCATID=1015&CATID=85&ID=AA2065&URL=index

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I dunno if you could call HM5/Jaycar/FA-003 portable though...

It kind of depends what you call portable. You can wear them around your neck or put it in a bag, but it won't fit in a small case. I guess considering that people consider the SRH840 to be portable, HM5 is kind of portable. They have big earpads though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back