Hi guys... Headphone advice please?
Nov 29, 2002 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

blender

New Head-Fier
Hi.. i'm totally new here..

been reading reviews and stuff, seems like you guys know what's up when it comes to a good pair of cans..

My Sennheiser HD570's recently crapped out on me! Pitty, 'cause i really did like them... i contacted Sennheiser about information on repair, but who knows when i hear back from them.. and I have absolutely no idea how to open the phones to look at them myself... so in the mean time i'm on the lookout for some good new cans..

my price range is about $100 - $150

I've listened to the Bose TriPorts at the Bose outlet the other day, i guess they sounded allrigth.. nice and bassy but i didn't think that they were all that, figured that for $150 i could get something much better..

I spend A LOT of time working on the computer, so i need cans that not only sound good but are comfortable as well..
How do the Senn HD580's compare?
What about the Sony's in the similar price range?
Any other recommendations?
Any websites/stores with good deals out there?

Thanks a lot to all in advance, i appreciate any and all advice..
Cheerz,
-Pavel

Nov 29, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Hmm, the 580's are great headphones, but you do need an external amp to get the best out of them.

As for websites, try these:

www.headphone.com
www.meier-audio.com
www.goodcans.com

The 580's can be had for as low as $120 new on ebay.

The only Sony's i can recommend are the MDR V6 or MDR 7506. They're the same headphone, just that the 7506's have a gold plated plug and retail for about $30 more (about $90-100 online).

You might want to consider Beyerdynamic DT250-80. I personally have not listened to them, but they are highly regarded.

Nov 30, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 12
www.newegg.com hd580, $120 when in stock.

wanna sell the hd570 for parts? (in other words, don't just toss them in the trash bin). there's always someone who is looking for a different band, different pads, etc.

you may want to give the hd590s a listen.

check the head-fi "for sale" section for other bargains.

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 12
hey.. thanks for the reply... where can i sell my HD570's for parts??

they are in great condition, except that the right side crapped out, and has no sound... i'm sure the dynamic itself is fine.. i think it's something with the wiring or something in there.. when i shake it i hear a rattle on the right side. Right before it went silent completely, the sound was flickering, like when you jiggle the connection cord...

I'd like to try and fix them myself, but i haven't got the slightest idea as to how to open them
confused.gif
doh!

I wonder if anyone here knows how to open those cans without damaging the casing..???

thanks for the links though.. very nice!

-Pavel

Nov 30, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 12
sounds like your cans still have life in them. have faith.

do a search for "fix", "loose wire", ""rattle", "intermittent", etc.

supposedly senns are known to have plug and jack problems. so all the fixes are in here. you just gotta dig them out. someone here should be able to instruct you on the correct procedure to dismantle the hd570s.

Nov 30, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
[Bcheck the head-fi "for sale" section for other bargains. [/B]

I would like to put i a plug for checking this section!!! With all the purchases of Audio-Technica stuff and those JVC cans, you should be seeing a number of good headphones being sold for a pretty good price. I just sold off my Senn 600s there for $170 less than a week ago. I would stretch your budget a little and see if something like another pair of these come up soon!!!

Happy hunting!!

Nov 30, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 12
blender - you may want to edit your original message title to read something like "how do i take my senn's apart?" that's sure to get a lot of responses.

Nov 30, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 12
blender, the very FIRST note in this thread (it's yours) - push the edit button and then change the title. save changes. do a refresh. it should change. of course a refresh will have to be done when you exit the thread back into the main body.

Dec 1, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 12
Let us know how you got this to work so that we can do the same!! I asked someone else how they changed the thread title of an item they sold to say SOLD in it, and they said that a moderator did it for him.

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 12
nope.. can't change the thread title...

can change the subject of the original post (as i did earlier), but only a mod can change the thread title..

i hate spamming these great forums, but I think i'll just have to start up another thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back