Hi from a newb - looking for a quick consensus
Feb 2, 2011 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Studmuffin

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.  First post here. UK based.

I'm looking for a headphone amp and I wondered if there was any consensus on the best bang for the buck to suit my needs?  Any real category killers out there?  Maybe you can save me hours of trawling and research.

We have a little project studio.  The convertors are Lavrys AD10 and a DA10.  I need another simple headphone amp for tracking, but one that's on par with the Lavry or say a Benchmarck DAC1 in terms of sound quality.  I cannot use a digital input on this new amp, so I'm looking for a very basic analogue in (preferably XLR).  Twoheadphone outs would be just perfect, even if they share the same volume control.

I have two pairs of DT 770 pro's (which sound radically different to each other!) Both rated 250 ohm.  Also have a pair of Denon ADH-2000's. I mention all this to give you an idea of the kind of level I'm at; not exactly high end audiophile, but somewhere in the middle.

Budget?  I guess I'd look at anything from £250 to 400 to £500.  Less would be good and I'm always up for finding good second hand items too, so please bare that in mind.  Just now I'm using a Presonus box which makes my ears bleed with it's shrieking sibilance!

I guess everyone has their fave but I'm wondering if there is a "no-brainer" out there for me?

Thanks all in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back