Hi folks! Brand new around here (well, kinda) and looking for some help :)
Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

evilgreen5

New Head-Fier
Hi HeadFi'ers!

I have been lurking on Head-Fi for a few years now, browsing various reviews, recommendations and help from the likes of amazing folks like ljokerl. While I mostly bought cheap, my first pair of "real" headphones were the HD 595's about three years back. Today is my first official day on the site, and I must be honest, I have a plea for help. 

I just got back from the audiologist three days ago for some impressions for my first pair of customs and have ordered the Westone ES60s (yes, I have been saving my pocket change for a while now). While I am extremely excited to receive them, I should inform you all that though I am fairly well versed in the headphone choices that are available to me, I know little to nothing about DACS, amps, etc. 

Long story short, for listening to music from my mac or iPhone at work, what kind of setup should I employ in the under 300 dollar range for maximum enjoyment of my ES60s? As a dev, sitting at my desk all day, it doesn't matter if the setup is mobile or not!

Thanks so much guys. You rock!
-Matt

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 29
Why don't you get a FiiO X3, FiiO X5, or iBasso DX50? Very good DAPs.

Or for a portable amp/dac, Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII. However, new iPhones will require a lightning adapter to use the DAC.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 29
Thanks for the reply! Everything you have recommended seem to be very good choices from the quick research I just conducted. Would you sway me to go the DAP or DAC/amp way? And depending on your answer, why you would suggest it? 

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 29
I would recommend you go for a DX90 or a used one if your budget is limited. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 29
The DX90 certainly be nice if that fits your budget. If you ever go for some full, over ear mid-fi phones, it should do a good job of driving most of them :)

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 29
Cool, thanks very much for the advice, guys! I will do some price hunting on the DXs and see what I can find 
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know how helpful it would be, but I could also post some first impressions of the ES60s when I get them eventually.

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 29
So, basically, I'm trying to decide between the X5 and the DX90. I read an article saying that the DX90 could not be used as a DAC with macs (which would be an issue for me!). Is this true? And if so, can the X5 be used with a mac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back