Hi-Fi, Round 2
Mar 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DJ1421

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am a graduate of two-channel circa 1975-1985, just returning to the pleasures of listening to recorded music with this cool, fun, high performance, and affordable media you have aptly described as "head-fi." Having a blast with new Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 and Beyerdynamic headphones. What a blast!

When I read Jason Stoddard's book about the birth of Schiit I was transported back to "the day" and recalled Sumo, G.A.S., Hafler, Frank Van Alstine's Dynaco mods, and so much more. A Linn-Sondek was the killer vinyl scraper, and my fave speakers were "planar magnetics" – Magnaplanar MGIIs. Simpler times, yes, but nobody gets a good cardio workout from moving their amp these days.

Missing in today's audio language is a term bandied about freely back then when describing the superiority of one amplifier circuit over another, "slew rate." I'd love to hear Jason or others comment about what they remember, and how new language has made this term obsolete, meaningless.

Glad to be "back!"

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi,
Interesting post.

Funny how wheels come full circle, or nearly so. Such as the resurgence of valve amps for one thing, and the increasing popularity of vinyl. OK, the Linn no longer rules; I moved on to a Teres and never looked back.
And panel speakers such as Martin Logans have a lot of similarities to the MGs.

I certainly get a good workout from moving my single ended triode amp, but then this is something special with an absolutely massive power supply chock full of chokes; amazing what 3.5 watts can do ....

Now "slew rate"; interesting that you mention this. It may have become obsolete in many cases, but in valve amps it remains highly important and is currently (no pun intended but it makes me smile anyway) in use (or should be) when designing such amps, especially SETs.
I have used the calculations detailed by Gordon Rankin on Tube DIY Asylum, and this works to determine the current needed in the driver stage to drive a power valve properly. Get this right, and get the power supply right, and a flea power amp can sound fast and powerful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back