hi-fi problem
Jun 3, 2010 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sam-c

New Head-Fier
hi guys im new here and this is my first post so i appologise if this is in the wrong forum

my current set up is a TEAC PD-H300mk3 cd player (is this a.k.a source unit? not to sure on the proper terminology) and a TEAC A-H300mk3 stero amplifier and monitor audio spekers. as for cabling im affraid its nothing special

you can probably tell my now that im not that clued up on home hi-fi systems but pleas bare with me!

my problem is that i feel i lack in the mid range and that the bass/mid range is just a mumble and not defined enough but not knowing much about home hi-fi im at abit of a loss

also how good, if at all, is my set-up and what would be a good place to start improvement wise

thanks

sam

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 4
A few things which spring to mind,

Which Monitor Audio Speakers do you have? (they make speakers from about $60 to about $(something dangerous)
Do you use any other sources than your cd player?
Does your cd player have a digital output? (It'll say in the manual if it does, if nothing is said chances are not)
How much money do you want to play with?

As far as terminology goes the cd player is your source, yes.

Technically, as i'm sure someone will point out it is a Transport and a Dac.
(Transport is transfer of a digital file i.e. 100110101010001010101010 from a cd to some wires)
(Dac is a Digital to Analogue Converter, speakers get indigestion from eating too many numbers)

Your system will be considerably better than most people's sound from an ipod dock but you shouldn't really consider how good a system is in other people's eyes as much as how good it sounds in your ears and how good it looks to anyone else around. As for the weak point in your system i'm guessing it'll be the amp/cd player.

Also where in the world are you? This is a worldwide forum and prices vary a lot if people recommend you products.

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Other thing to think of always with a speaker rig is the room you are playing them in, and the speaker set up.

A room can muffle sound unevenly, and finding the best spot for bass can be a complicated issue of speaker/listening spot location.

Your system sounds good enough.  If it is all working normally, then I would evaluate the room and the setup.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi all,
I'm also new to this forum.

As per mentioned the setup not knowing how else is good to improve the sound.

Maybe will require further information of the room's size, furniture arrangement, etc.

How are the speakers placed, is it on speaker stands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back