Hi-Fi Man EF2A vs. Aune T1
Apr 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bpbutler95

New Head-Fier
Hey there, folks. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of HD 600's in the near future and realized that I should have an amp/DAC to run these, as well as any other high-end headphones I get in the future. From what I've read, tube amps sound extremely good so I looked into those and found two similarly priced amps: the Hi-Fi Man EF2A and the Aune T1. They both get great reviews, so don't know which to choose. Has anyone heard both? Or just has thoughts on this in general? Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 14
My vote goes for the T1. Good as a DAC and a tube amp. I did not like the sound qualities of the EF2A even after mods and tube rolling. T1 can be had for $140 and EF2A is around $120-150. It's a no brainer I'd go for the T1 if these are your too looked upon options. If you can stretch your budget and may possibly buy another amp in the not-so distant future. A Bottlehead Crack kit + the HD600 is a  very euphonic pairing, especially for more reference type of genre's.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 14
Thank you for the reply! The Bottlehead Crack kit definitely sounds interesting with the whole build-it-yourself aspect. A quick question about the T1, does it give a nice neutral sound that can be used for reference? Also, regarding the Bottlehead kit, I read that it can only be used on high-impedance headphones, but what if I want to plug something low-impedance such as the Shure SRH840's (another pair I plan to get at some point in the future) into the Bottlehead? Thanks again.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Hey there, folks. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of HD 600's in the near future and realized that I should have an amp/DAC to run these, as well as any other high-end headphones I get in the future. From what I've read, tube amps sound extremely good so I looked into those and found two similarly priced amps: the Hi-Fi Man EF2A and the Aune T1. They both get great reviews, so don't know which to choose. Has anyone heard both? Or just has thoughts on this in general? Thanks in advance.

If you're interested in buying the EF2A, I have one for sale.  PM me for deal.

Thanks,
-J

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 14
Neutral is not something I would say the T1 is except for maybe vocal's as it sounds quite realistic. imo it is fairly coloured amp but exciting and in a involving way. Should you use low impedence can's with the Crack you buy a impedence adaptor or a different amp.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Thank you for the offer Hiiisociety, but I don't have the money for it quite yet. Okay so, would you happen to know a good neutral and transparent amp/DAC combo for the HD600? I'd be using it for monitoring and mixing, so it has to be neutral. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 14
I use the HD600 on the Schiit Magni/Modi and it sounds beautiful. Very transparent, balanced and neutral in my opinion. It's a Solid State Class AB Amp but still holds it's own compared to the EF2A and most prefer it. The Magni/Modi combo is $200 from www.schiit.com

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 14
I don't think I've heard anyone that is unhappy with Schiit products. I've become an advocate :) Great company and great response times. I e-mailed the owner on 3 separate occasions, and he replied within 5 minutes each time. Amazing response time.

May 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 14
I use the HD600 on the Schiit Magni/Modi and it sounds beautiful. Very transparent, balanced and neutral in my opinion. It's a Solid State Class AB Amp but still holds it's own compared to the EF2A and most prefer it. The Magni/Modi combo is $200 from www.schiit.com

Can the Schiit pair really brought into a tube equipment discussion? My understanding is that they are almost an "anti-tube" pair in that they are bright or as you say, "transparent" where I've always thought of tube gear as "warm." Serious question here... no flaming intended.

May 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 14
I don't think I've heard anyone that is unhappy with Schiit products. I've become an advocate :) Great company and great response times. I e-mailed the owner on 3 separate occasions, and he replied within 5 minutes each time. Amazing response time.

Totally second your sentiments on the responsiveness. Answered all my questions quickly and thoroughly.

May 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Can the Schiit pair really brought into a tube equipment discussion? My understanding is that they are almost an "anti-tube" pair in that they are bright or as you say, "transparent" where I've always thought of tube gear as "warm." Serious question here... no flaming intended.

I probably should have left out the direct comparison because the Schiit Stack and the EF2A do sound entirely different. I stated earlier "It's a Solid State Class AB Amp but still holds it's own compared to the EF2A", implying I know it's not what he's looking for. But I use both equally and it depends on what you're using them for. I would recommend a solid state and tube amp to anyone with headphones. They just sound too different and equally pleasing. I prefer the sound of the tubes on the EF2A for music and I prefer the Schiit Stack for gaming and movies.

I find that the Schiit Stack offers a wider sound-stage and is definitely more transparent. The EF2A definitely has some warmth and great musical qualities. I only used this comparison because I own both and do not speak on things that I have no experience with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back