Hi-fi in Shanghai, China ?
Jan 1, 2007 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shiznitz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the boards here, and I recently got both a new pair of Shure E4G's and Sennheiser HD650's. (Upgradeds from Sony ex70's and HD580's, respectively). I'm now looking for an amp (or amps) for these new phones, since my current amp is the Creek OBH-11 and is 7 years old.

I live in Shanghai, China, and was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a good place to audition headphone amps. I see that there are quite a few well-regarded options designed in China, but I can't seem to find them here in Shanghai.

Thanks!
Jon

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 12
I hope I am not telling you anything you already know, so if I do just forget I said anything.

Are you familiar with the web site www.erji.net . If so then you should fine people very knowledgeable concerning where you should be able to audition headphones and equipment.

Jan 1, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 12
Jon, go check your message box.

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 12
Check Opera Audio's Chinese website. It lists a dealer in Shanghai. Once there, I'm sure they can refer you to other stores in the city. I've been fairly impressed by Chinese tube amps. For the price/performance ratio, they are hard to beat. But if you are looking for money's-no-object best of the best, American/European gear still reign king.

http://www.operaudio.com.cn/

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll keep poking around for good stuff. Incidentally, I have seen a lot of amps from a company called G&W, founded by a professor from Beijing's Tsinghua University (I think...).

Anyway, here's a thread discussing the G&W amps. I didn't have a chance to try them myself:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180534

Also, special thanks Edison! - I went to the TaiPingYang ShuMa digital mall, and Sun Hao let me audition the Lehmann Black Cube and Slee Solo..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Can't beat the performance to price ratio of Chinese Hi Fi. However, Chinese components vary - some are great while others are mediocre or even bad.

Find a Jolida dealer and audition the Jolida JD2A (click on the link in my signature below). Price in China is close to $300 USD but it competes with headphone amps costing much, much more.

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiznitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll keep poking around for good stuff. Incidentally, I have seen a lot of amps from a company called G&W, founded by a professor from Beijing's Tsinghua University (I think...).

Anyway, here's a thread discussing the G&W amps. I didn't have a chance to try them myself:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180534

Also, special thanks Edison! - I went to the TaiPingYang ShuMa digital mall, and Sun Hao let me audition the Lehmann Black Cube and Slee Solo..
smily_headphones1.gif

Bada PH12 or Jolida JD2A are superior to the G&W T2.6F (which is good for the money though) and are well worth the extra money.

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 12
One important point:

Likely you will audition Chinese amps with Chinese or Russian tubes - disappointing sound quality.

Sound is much better with old USA and European tubes - a must for best performance.

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 12
I bought my Hi Fi RT-6P13P for $240 shipped and its an absolutely brilliant tube amp that easily competes with amps costing twice or three times its price. Look for the seller "richtonaudio" on eBay as he's the one who sells them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back