Hi-Fi in New Jersey
Dec 7, 2003 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hiker

500+ Head-Fier
To all of you Jersey Head-Fi-ers out there, where do you go shopping for your audio equipment. I have been to a few places such as Sound City in Denville, and Landes Audio in Chester. Are there any places here in NJ, especially in Northern or Central Jersey, that you would recommend I check out? Most of my shopping so far has been done on the internet, but seeing that I would like to build a modest speaker system, I would like to visit some brick and mortar stores, especially for audition purposes. Thanks.

Hiker

Dec 7, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 12
There is one Harvey Electronics in Paramus Route 17, good speakers there, but prices are horrible, passing the Garden State Mall and and the entrance of the Paramus Park Mall, and before that place in the same Route 17, there is another one called the Home Theater Corner or something like that, besides a big computer store called PC Warehouse, nice speakers also, same prices or even worst, but for audition, is OK, they carry some headphones too, Sennheiser mainly......these are the only two I know, other than this, you have to cross the river to NYC: J&R, B&H are the two in Manhattan that cross my mind....

Dec 7, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 12
I was afraid Paramus was going to come up.
frown.gif
Not one of my favorite places to shop . . . too much traffic! And closed on Sundays! Anyway, thanks for the info. I might run up there next Saturday for a look.

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 12
There is less hereabouts than there used to be, but here are a few other places to try: Ridgewood Stereo (not sure of the name but it'll be listed in the Yellow Pages) in Ridgewood. Also, Stewart's Audio-Video in whatever that town is that's right next to Cranford.

Two superb dealers that I'd highly recommend are Audio Connection in Verona (www.audioconnect.com) and Avalon Audio-Video in Medford (www.avalonav.com.) Both will give good prices and superb, personalized service. There is also CSA Audio in Montclair, with whom I had one brief encounter and was not impressed, but your mileage may vary.

Lastly, I wouldn't totally rule out Harvey's if they have what you want. Their usual prices are not so impressive, but they do have sales and demo items that are priced much better, and for what it's worth I have found that they take customer service and support very seriously. Avoid like the plague 6th Avenue Electronics - lots of grey market stuff and once they have your cash in hand they won't even give you the time of day.

Good luck!

-- Bob

Dec 8, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Well I guess I have plenty to do next Saturday. However, Ill have to put off studying for finals. They aren't that important anyway!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 12
Depending on where you are in Jersey, I would check out shops in Philly, NYC, and Overture Audio in Deleware. I don't remember really hearing about any great places in NJ.

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for all this great info. Helpful while I am temporarily stranded in this armpit of the USA
wink.gif
(as always, no offense to the natives intended)

--Chris

Dec 10, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 12
I would also try Audio Nexus in Summit.

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 12
I used to spend a lot of time at Hal's Stereo and Audio, Route 1, Lawrenceville, NJ. Great high end stuff, friendly sales quys. A lot of Princeton students shop there. Unfortunately I haven't been there in a long time, so I can't give you an idea of the current equipment on hand.

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 12
I've had a great time at Audio Nexus is Summit. The service I"ve received from them is better than any other audio shop I've ever been in. Both Ken and Gerry are helpful and friendly. You can check their website www.audionexus.com for directions. They are having a sale through Dec. 20.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back