Hi-Fi Headphone Hunting
May 30, 2015 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ventace

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a good pair of over-ear headphones to go with my DAC.     This is on a budget of under $300 in Canadian.
The DAC I'm going to be using is the Xonar U7, with 114 DB sensitivity.
The things I'm looking for in headphones are the sound quality and build quality.
Since the Xonar U7 has 114DB sensitivity, I'd like headphones rated around that sensitivity, maybe 112 DB to 116 DB.
Also, it'd be extremely preferable if the THD is at <0.2%, or at the very most <0.5%.

Apart from finding headphones around those specs, one thing I'm very particular about are ear pads.
I hate velour ear pads due to the extreme heat and sound leakage, so I'd like leather ear pads if possible, or at least pleather earpads. 

The headphones will be used for about 38% music, 62% gaming. 
I'm not particular about highs and lows, but something without punchy bass would be nice.
I find that many headphones are bass-dominated, but the songs I listen to aren't suited for that.
Of course, I'm not too crazy about this so still recommend headphones you see even if they are a bit bass heavy. 

Any recommendations, please?

May 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 8
I think unless you are plugging into a near-perfect audio system you should take the specs with a pinch of salt.  What about AKG K612 Pro or Grado SR80e.

The AKG if you can find a Canadian supplier are rated at 120 Ohms into 1 Khz and 200mW power input. 

The Grado will be easier to drive although you might want to look at the 225e or better if you need more performance.

May 30, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 8
You should consider the SoundMagic HP150!

Best Luck!

May 31, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that for me, open air designs are out of the question, as I wouldn't like the sound to leak.
I looked at the Grado SR80e, but something about their headphones just don't suit me. I think it's because I have a large head and large ears, and everything they have looks tiny in all reference pictures.
Thanks for the suggestions though, but are there any others you know of?

May 31, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 8
  Sennheiser HD600 you can not go wrong with this !

comfortable balanced, as hi definition as possible for that price.

Hot damn they look nice
But they're $584 in Canada T-T
Along with that open design and those pads, I don't think I'll be getting those XD
Thanks for the suggestion, though!

May 31, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 8
So I'm looking for a good pair of over-ear headphones to go with my DAC.     This is on a budget of under $300 in Canadian.
The DAC I'm going to be using is the Xonar U7, with 114 DB sensitivity.
The things I'm looking for in headphones are the sound quality and build quality.
Since the Xonar U7 has 114DB sensitivity, I'd like headphones rated around that sensitivity, maybe 112 DB to 116 DB.
Also, it'd be extremely preferable if the THD is at <0.2%, or at the very most <0.5%.

Apart from finding headphones around those specs, one thing I'm very particular about are ear pads.
I hate velour ear pads due to the extreme heat and sound leakage, so I'd like leather ear pads if possible, or at least pleather earpads. 

The headphones will be used for about 38% music, 62% gaming. 
I'm not particular about highs and lows, but something without punchy bass would be nice.
I find that many headphones are bass-dominated, but the songs I listen to aren't suited for that.
Of course, I'm not too crazy about this so still recommend headphones you see even if they are a bit bass heavy. 

Any recommendations, please?

I would check out the PSB M4U-1. Sensitivity is 102. THD: 0.25.

They have a flattish response with slightly enhanced mid-bass hump. They go very low for gaming. They are within your price, are rated very highly, are closed back, and are Canadian.

In one comparative review they ranked as best headphones under $300.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-300ish-headphone/

Good luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back