hi-fi and airport security
Feb 21, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #31 of 45
Sorry about the threadjack, but does anyone know what airport stores sell headpoohones, iem's w/e. Particularly in San Diego and Chicago, I have a flight from San Diego to Chicago in the morning, and I would like to explore.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkazndragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think ull have problems going through major airports like SF, they have these booths you have to stand inside of so they can scan for small trace amounts of explosive material. i never had a problem.

That's right. This works because terrorists do not take showers after making bombs.
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about the threadjack, but does anyone know what airport stores sell headpoohones, iem's w/e. Particularly in San Diego and Chicago, I have a flight from San Diego to Chicago in the morning, and I would like to explore.

Probably Bose stuff. Try your local Best Buy and Circuit City, the ones near me carry Shure IEMs (along with the entire Bose line of products, of course.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

You didn't get questioned in San Diego? They stopped me on my latest fight because they thought my archos 504 was a bomb, until one of the more nerdy tsa agents informed them it was exactly what I told them it was, a PMP. After the 10 minute inspection of my archos, they grabbed my laptop bag out of the conveyer and proceeded to take every single thing out, my ps2, games my laptop, books, school papers etc, to swab, and when they were done, they just left all of it on the table for me to repack. I guess a 16 year old travelling alone with a laptop looks suspicious.

Even though they claim not to, they pretty routinely profile in airpots. Pre-9/11 I had a ponytail and I found I was subjected to "random special search" about 80% of the time (I was typically going through LAX, Denver, San Jose, and Dulles). If I'm in a suit or jacket I can walk through with a bag full of electronics without security batting a lash. I even somehow managed to get through with a half-full bottle of water I forgot I had in my bag last week. (As a side note, putting on a jacket is a good way to get random free upgrades at the gate.)

I get pretty scruffy when I go on vacations and I suddenly find myself getting searched a lot, having to throw away my 3.5 oz tube of toothpaste (can't have that extra half ounce!), and so forth.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

If you arrive at terminal 1 Councourse B there is a store that sells all Shure IEMs, and accessories, as well as some cheaper stuff.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I travel all the time with a briefcase FULL of electronics.

It's possible that you are carrying them in an arrangement that permits a single layer scan, with little overlapping devices. That is the key to avoid flags or a quick review by a TSA agent. If you are like me and have a "cube" type bag or a backpack where items are stuffed into every little crevice, you'll most likely have to unpack the electronics and spread them out over the tub. You'd better have a case that holds everything flat for agents to see, if an inspection occurs, and that does not add another layer during xray.

I travel about 75 - 100,000 air miles each year, both domestic and international, and the toughest airports that I can remember are:

Newark
Orlando
Miami
Charleston SC
LAX
Las Vegas

A few more tips in case you do get the dreaded hand inspection:

-ask the agent to get a fresh pair of gloves.
-ask the agent not to put your cameras, etc on the metal table after they are done, but place them in another tub.
-ask them to inspect your wallet or another valuable item first and then hand it to you (limit this to one or two items).
-if they are taking too much time, ask them courteously that your connection is tight and is there anything you can do to help.
-remember that they could not care less about you making your flight; their primary concern is screening, however long they wish to take. Complaining to their supervisors also makes it worse, as they always stick up for their employees.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by sawall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though they claim not to, they pretty routinely profile in airpots. Pre-9/11 I had a ponytail and I found I was subjected to "random special search" about 80% of the time (I was typically going through LAX, Denver, San Jose, and Dulles). If I'm in a suit or jacket I can walk through with a bag full of electronics without security batting a lash. I even somehow managed to get through with a half-full bottle of water I forgot I had in my bag last week. (As a side note, putting on a jacket is a good way to get random free upgrades at the gate.)

I get pretty scruffy when I go on vacations and I suddenly find myself getting searched a lot, having to throw away my 3.5 oz tube of toothpaste (can't have that extra half ounce!), and so forth.

Im a long haired type. I have hair over halfway down my back and I get stopped everytime for the "special" searches, despite wearing Teva Sandals (no way to hide anything there, tshirt and shorts with no pockets.. they still do the pat down.

And now that I have a portable amp on its way to me for my trip on the 9th.. Im sure to get the strip search
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #39 of 45
I have had my iMod+SuperMacro IV checked once in about 30+ different forays through security (in Portland interestingly enough). So, I don't see a problem here. However, I think international flights maybe different, and in my last two flights to the UK since the liquids/paste scare, I have not even bothered to take my rig, a real pain given the length of flights from/to LAX.

I always have a stamped, self-addressed padded envelope with me just in case.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #40 of 45
I only get serched when I bring odd photo stuff with me (lightmeters and the like), my medium format kit has got some looks too. For the most part, if you're shooting under 400asa, film shoud be ok with the carry on scanner, but NEVER put film in the hold, as it will fog for sure.

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #43 of 45
When I used to have a Headroom micro amp, headphones, and an ipod in the same bag as my laptop and an assortment of chargers and other stuff, I was never stopped. More recently I have been using a separate bag for the audio stuff, now including a Headroom portable desktop amp, with the large red battery holder. This got me briefly stopped while the inspector swabbed it. He did, however, understand what it was; he told me that he had to swab my amp. As far as I am concerned, this was a pretty minor inconvenience which would not stop me from continuing to use my present set-up.

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #44 of 45
Yesterday I flew from Midway to Nashville with 3 ipods, 2 amps, 3 headphones, and a gameboy advanced, as well as numerous batteries, cables, and adapters. No problems whatsoever.

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #45 of 45
To the OP:

I've had my carryon containing a Tomahawk, ALO dock, and iPod Nano hand searched at LAX with no problem. The guy was more interested in an unopened can of soda I stuck in my bag while cleaning out my rental car.

I understand your concerns, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back