Hi everyone, I'm back for another recommendation
Dec 7, 2007 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DaGreatAzn

Head-Fier
Currently I'm doing most of my listening with my Yuin Pk3s which were also recommended by you kind folks here at Head-fi. I couldn't be happier with the PK3s, they sound wonderful during long boring lectures at school and great for studying in the library.
Since the PK3s were so nice, I decided to invest a little more on a new pair of cans by setting a new budget at $100.
Currently I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 and the Grado SR-80s since it seems those are popular here. I primarily listen to a lot of Cpop (Chinese pop) which is comprised of mostly love songs and pop ballads. What I'm looking for in a pair of headphones is good reproduction of the singers' voices and clarity in the instruments in the background. Good bass is also important, but I definitely don't want something that is bass heavy. The primary focus should be the singing, so I don't want big boomy bass overshadowing the singing. A nice tight bass would be good.
Anyways, I hope ppl can make me another good recommendation again.

BTW: I currently don't own an amp, so I would prefer the recommendations to be for headphones that sound good without reliance on an amp. I would buy an amp if I could, but currently that is out of this poor college student's budget. Also, style is definitely a plus.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 17
HD555

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 17
HD555, those are Sennheisers right?
Thats a good start, hoping for more replies!

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 17
So far my choices are HD 555s, ATH-ES7, Grado SR-80s, and UE Super.fi 5 (mostly likely not gonna get the last one since the cheapest one i found was $140).
I'm hoping for more recommendations!

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 17
What type of listening would these be for? Would you need isolation for library listening? Or would these be for home listening? Open headphones that sound great in your room might not work well in a quiet environment where people could hear what you're listening to, or in a noisy environment such as on a bus or airplane ...

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 17
You can get Audio Technica ATH-AD700s for $99 if you look on google products. I've had mine since October 26th, and they are sounding very good.

edit: however, they would be a very bad choice if you need headphones in a quiet environment

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 17
Honestly, I don't really mind open or closed. Closed would be preferred, but I just want the best sounding headphones for the money.

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaGreatAzn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I don't really mind open or closed. Closed would be preferred, but I just want the best sounding headphones for the money.

I listen to Cpop/Jpop on my ATH-AD700. They're very good for the genre. If you want to believe it, some ppl think AT cans are designed for Jpop.

AD700 is a little bit weak on the bass though IMO. ATH-A700 is the closed variation. I haven't heard any closed AT cans, so I can't give you an opinion on those. There are quite a few threads about it though.

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 17
hello, i am in your exact position. i am looking for a set of 100 headphones without reliance on an amp. i am looking for something that brings out clarity in the singer's voices (i sometimes listen to love songs and such, so vocals is important to me) id also like something that will make instruments sound clear and crisp and at the same time get a nice good bass hit for rap songs. thanks

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianiak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello, i am in your exact position. i am looking for a set of 100 headphones without reliance on an amp. i am looking for something that brings out clarity in the singer's voices (i sometimes listen to love songs and such, so vocals is important to me) id also like something that will make instruments sound clear and crisp and at the same time get a nice good bass hit for rap songs. thanks

Yup sounds exactly like me.
From the recommendations I see that the HD 555s and the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 seems to be in the lead. I hope someone that have both can give me a comparision on them.
Anyways, I'm hoping to see more recommendations so I can make a more informed decision.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 17
Anymore recommendations b4 i make a final decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back