Hi-end recommendations to catch me up for the last 4 years.
Apr 12, 2020 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gasmonkey

Head-Fier
I gave up my headphone journey about 4 years ago and started on a stereo system. Given the money I have sunk into that, it seems a little more reasonable to add a nice headphone setup.

Previously I have owned Shure Se-846 and Grado PS1000's as my high end headphones. Im not sold on IEM's, Im looking for a full size open back. The Grado's were nice sounding, but not practical for actually listening due to the design and comfortableness.

Im thinking of venturing into electrostatic headphones, they seem to fit my profile of open back, high end, natural and neutral. I'm not much into colorations.

My setup can build upon some components I have in my stereo system now, a Chord Qutest DAC, and a Power isolator for clean energy. That leaves many options open as I would be getting an amp to power the headphones as well. I currently own an Elekit tu-8200 tube amp, so that is my default.

Looking for a real top notch headphone, even if it sets me back a couple thousand used.

Apr 12, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 7
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX headphones would be something that might work well plugged directly into a modern A/V receiver or tube headphone amplifier.

Apr 12, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 7
If I were in your position I'd have a look at Hifiman, Abyss and Stax's high end offerings to start with :) Quite a few good options around there for what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 7
A used original Hifiman HE-6 would be my choice for high-end planar neutrality, but planars often don't pair well with tube amps.
For dynamic neutrality, Focal Elear is worth a listen. No idea how it would pair with that amp though.

Apr 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 7
More people still purchase the HD800(s) for their TOTL headphone. It is one of the most open, transparent, and widest soundstage headphones, with clarity to rival many stats. At 300 ohms, it does very well with most tube amplifiers.

Remember that you need a electrostatic amp to run stat headphones. There are some exceptions, but they don't compete with the best. The Sennheiser Orpheus is probably unobtainable. The Stax SR-009 is generally regarded the TOTL, but I prefer their older SR-007 myself.

If you want to experiment and see if you really like electrostatics, you should look at the Massdrop special on the Koss ESP-95X right now: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system. At $400, it's impossible to beat, assuming you are willing to fiddle a bit. There have been a few reports of poor quality control, but Koss's lifetime warranty is in force for this purchase. Most people who've complained have gotten replacements to their satisfaction. It comes with its own "energizer" (stat amp), so no need to find a special amp - although reports are that the headphones will do much better with a high-quality stat amp.

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Hifiman Arya or as mentioned the HD800s. The HD800s sounds beautiful with tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back