Hi-End headphones (with proper Amp) as upgrade from HD598 - mostly for rock and metal/death metal
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hellkitchen

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I'm looking for suggestion to buy (in the mid/near future) a pair of Hi-end headphones as definitive upgrade of my audiophile equipment (I hope so).
I'm actually using an iBasso DX50 and pc with foobar and an xfi HD sound card paired with UE900 and HD598. I've also a vintage JVC turntable with an Akai 2600 amp. Since I'm pretty satisfied with UE900 I'm thinking to go for a full size headphones which can merge all the quality I'm expecting to find in a thousand dollar/euros headphones and in IEMs. 

I listen mainly Rock (modern, classical, hard etc), Blues and Metal (death/heavvy, doom etc) genres. What I'd like to find in my future upgrade are both the qualities of an IEM and of full size headphones. I love IEMs (especially BA) for their astonishing details and instruments separation. What I like of headphones are the soundstage, airy natural sound, bass impact and the less fatiguing listening. 

So I'm really looking for something which is better than my actual equipment but that is not totally different. I found that HD598 are really natural, airy but with weak bass impact and maybe a not so "clear" instruments separation. Otherwise UE900 are really detailed but not natural as an full size headphone and with not enaugh bass impact.

I've looked through the most known headphones as Sennheiser HD800/700, Audez LCD2/3, Beyerdynamic Tesla T1, Hifiman planar HE400/500 but I really don't known which could be better for me. In reality I've only experience with IEMs and HD598 are the only audiphile headphones that I've had since now.

For the same reason I would have advices of which portable amplifier I should buy for headphones like these.

Summarizing, I'm looking for:

- HI-END Full size headphones around 1000€/$ (to be bought used for sure)
  * mainly for metal/blues/Rock
  * very deep sound and bass, much details, wide soundstage
- Proper amp (not to expensive)

Thank you 

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 19
Out of those you mention, I'd nominate T1 and HE400. If you are up for something new you could also look into Stax' offerings, especially vintage systems.

For something closed, there's the th600.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 19
If the sound card is a Titanium HD sound card, then buy a decent headphone amplifier and plug it into the Titanium HD's RCA output.
Then get whatever headphone you like..

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 19
As it has line-out I'd suppose you can try using the x-fi with an amp before upgrading to a standalone dac.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 19
The only headphone I've heard on your list is the HE-400, so take my other comments with a grain of salt. 

Sennheiser HD-700 / HD-800 would not be a good choice, as they are not very bassy and won't do any favors to metal, which is often poorly recorded. 

Audeze would probably be a great choice, but keep in mind they are known for having a small-ish soundstage. 

I think the HE-400 is pretty good for metal. The soundstage is big but not huge, but it has a very textured, fast bass and a generally aggressive sound. Great for fast drums and crunchy, biting guitars. Plus you'd save some money. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 19
If you think about the T1, try T90 too. Its much cheaper, and the T1 is just slightly better.
i Would also try Hifiman HE 400 and 500, which should be awesome on Metal/rock/etc.
Consider, that the Hifimans need a much stronger Amp, than the Beyerdynamics. My T90 runs very well and very Loud on my Galaxy S3.

If you only have a X-FI HD, i would consider replacing it. Maybe Shiit M&M Combo, oDAC/O2 Combo, Yulong u100, Audio-GD NFB 15.32 or something like that.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 19
  The only headphone I've heard on your list is the HE-400, so take my other comments with a grain of salt. 

Sennheiser HD-700 / HD-800 would not be a good choice, as they are not very bassy and won't do any favors to metal, which is often poorly recorded. 

Audeze would probably be a great choice, but keep in mind they are known for having a small-ish soundstage. 

I think the HE-400 is pretty good for metal. The soundstage is big but not huge, but it has a very textured, fast bass and a generally aggressive sound. Great for fast drums and crunchy, biting guitars. Plus you'd save some money. 

mmh I had read something in the past about HE-400. It's not the first time I heard that they are gret for metal and rock. The questions are: as overall audio quality, they are a worth upgrade over the HD598? Are they in a totally different league compared to my actual equipment and compared to the Hi end headphones like HD800 etc?  Anyway I'm an huge fun of details and the HD800 seems to be the queen here. 

If you think about the T1, try T90 too. Its much cheaper, and the T1 is just slightly better.
i Would also try Hifiman HE 400 and 500, which should be awesome on Metal/rock/etc.
Consider, that the Hifimans need a much stronger Amp, than the Beyerdynamics. My T90 runs very well and very Loud on my Galaxy S3.

If you only have a X-FI HD, i would consider replacing it. Maybe Shiit M&M Combo, oDAC/O2 Combo, Yulong u100, Audio-GD NFB 15.32 or something like that.

I would like to use my headphones also in mobility (on sofa at least) and not only at pc. Are there any portable ampli not to expensive for this purpose?

TY guys

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 19
Before going all into high end I think you should try some different and cheaper cans/equipment, as in the high end market it's like 50% taste and 50% sound quality. Just rough figures of course

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 19
Before going all into high end I think you should try some different and cheaper cans/equipment, as in the high end market it's like 50% taste and 50% sound quality. Just rough figures of course

That's an interesting point for sure. I know, since I'm an experienced audiphile (with IEMs at least), that the best headphone for everyone is depending of personal tastes. Anyway I would like to buy the best I can for the money and that match perfectly (or best as possible) my musical preferences. 

I'm not interested in buy "mid" range headphones (let's say "mid" :))  to be changed after a while.. I'm looking for something that can satisfied me  for years. Unluckily here in Italy isnt' possible to hear such products before buying. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 19
Can't really help you much further. Would still advice against going all in but it's your call.

If you want to be satisfied for years I think you should look into comfortable and light headphones over the planar magnetic kind as they tend to be pretty heavy.

Due to your genres I'd recommend the beyers, yet they seem to be kind of a hit or miss for some people so that might not be the safest option.

The HE-400 will be in a different league than hd598 imo. Very worthwhile upgrade. Again, they are no flagship and have serious flaws imo. Look into HE-500 if you want something for cheap that is in the same league as the flagships. There are really many things to consider, also more than those I have spoken of thus far.

You see, mostly I only buy stuff for good prices, often used, as they appear. I can only do this because I have become established in this hobby and have a lot of background knowledge, along with knowing roughly what kind of sound that I tend to like. My latest purchase was the Stax Sigma, which I bought so cheap that I can sell it for the same or more at any time I want. Just one example..

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 19
Be sure to report back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back