Hi end gaming headphones
Jul 6, 2019 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

arjunt1

New Head-Fier
Hi all! So I play a less known game called Hunt Showdown. Much of the game revolves around sound, creeping footstep, far off crows, horses etc. It’s really 1/2 the game.

I’ve been running a Soundblaster AE-5 with Beyerdynamic DT990s and the sound has generally been good. I’m looking to upgrade to Focal Clears (I actually ordered them already.).

From what I’ve read the only downside to the Clear is a small soundstage, however they are still precise. Any feedback on headphones that would be the most clear and precise if not this?

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 15
HiFiMan Ananda

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 15
Hi all! So I play a less known game called Hunt Showdown. Much of the game revolves around sound, creeping footstep, far off crows, horses etc. It’s really 1/2 the game.
I’ve been running a Sound Blaster AE-5 with Beyerdynamic DT990s and the sound has generally been good. I’m looking to upgrade to Focal Clears (I actually ordered them already.).
From what I’ve read the only downside to the Clear is a small soundstage, however they are still precise. Any feedback on headphones that would be the most clear and precise if not this?
Maybe try the Focal Clears first and experiment with the AE-5's surround sound setting, before deciding on buying other headphones.

Jul 7, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Artificially opening up the soundstage with headphones known for their wide-open soundstage will ruin your gaming experience.

Hunt Showdown has been designed with audio at the forefront of the gameplay mechanics, with normal headphones in mind.
If you want to hear the game as the audio designers heard it, just stick with the Beyerdynamic.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Just checked out the game with the HD800s, Perfect, precise, immerse But this is on a semi-decent amp. Cheaper Dac/amps usually compress the soundstage size or height/width which in games with the HD800s & can be (Is) a negative for immersion & competitive aspects. E.g. I'd use the HD660s over the HD800s with the Massdrop LCX & JDS The Element, the headphone already lacks depth in soundstage but overall a better experience. So keep in mind whatever you buy might not work or sound its best with your soundcard.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 15
I used to own the HD700 and it was my favourite headphone to use for gaming, the amp I used with it was nothing special although it wasn't cheap either. I've never heard the HD800 but I'd imagine it would be amazing for gaming. @arjunt1 if I where you i'd get a HD800.
If you are looking for a closed-back headphone for gaming, then I would recommend the B&W P9 Signature. To my ears, the P9 Signature is a step above the HD700 in all areas of sound quality, however i'm not so sure how it would compare to the HD800.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quite a bit over your budget but the AKG K872 is awesome for gaming and is closed back and driven very easy by the onboard audio of my laptop.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 15
So I ended up buying a Focal Elegia. It’s been pretty great in every respect but the speakers have a metal grill over them which hits my right ear. I guess the ear cups aren’t thick enough and after a couple hours I have some really sharp pain.

So they are going back and I’m still looking. Up to $1000, closed back and comfy if anyone had further suggestions. Thanks!

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Campfire Cascade, Sony z7m2, Audeze LCD2Closed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back