Hi and Wow!
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Paul K

New Head-Fier
Thought I would introduce myself and say hi.

Been kicking around the forum over the last couple of days and what a plethora of threads to keep one's head spinning (literally).

I have been viewing the Portable Amps, Post a pick of you RIg (got some serious stuff going on there, fair impressed), High End Audio which leads to my background

I used to work for Linn Hi-Fi many years ago in the playback section (speakers) a became accustomed to 'high end' audio equipment.  I remember hearing their top of the range system £28k at the time 20yrs ago and thought wow! thats impressive.  Finally secured employment with them and went on to have my own system.  just when things could not get better Linn secured a contract with Loewe for a Loewe audio system.  So team I was on got to build, test, listen, and view the Loewe gear.   Due to family, kids, etc sold my system for £100 less than I paid for it 10yrs later! 

So where did I go from there, no decent playback for my music I delved into earphones.

I Bought a pair of Shure SE530's and recently exchanged them for the SE535 through the product exchange scheme.  Along with that I also got the remote cable which has been sent back after 10days due to fault 
confused_face.gif
.  Then I pop in here and was literally blown away.  Another world has open up and I'm caught in a vortex.

First thing I did was speak to Chris and get a set of custom cables made up - awaiting delivery

Next I started reading the Portable Amp section and goodness me, you guys know how to party! so just took delivery of a Fiio E7 (entry level I know, but hey, once I become an audiophile.....) and due to not having a spare cable for my Shure's I tried it with Apple Earbuds 
cool.gif
 Wow again! I didn't think it would get much better, but it has.

2 things, the replacement cable from Shure arrives tomorrow, and can't wait to test the E7, and then I have the double dunter - Once I get Chris' custom custom cables, its time to jam once again.

So there you have a brief intro from me, and I look forward to joining you all in this new adventure.

Rgds

Paul K

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi Paul.  Love and share your enthusiasm for this hobby. Have a pair of Linn Kan's in my bedroom, so thanks for any part you might have played!

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Hi Paul.  Love and share your enthusiasm for this hobby. Have a pair of Linn Kan's in my bedroom, so thanks for any part you might have played!

Thanks, 

Now there is a blast from the past!

What's the name on the back on your speakers, I probably worked with the guy/girl. The serial number and name on the back of your speakers (if its still there) is linked to the person who built them.  

If there was any fault or defect with the speakers they would go straight back to the builder. 

Quick question, do you know what the Linn emblem is and why every Linn product has a 'K' in it?

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Oh you sorry now........:p

A lot of gearslutz here along with the professional audio ranks (recording) young enthusiasts, musicians, teachers, designers etc. with a thirst for the best they can get within their means (and what is possible). The ipod has fostered a community from DIY to a fledgling industry that's doing quite well for itself. Same holds true, amps are still amps, digital is finally bellied up to the bar with vinyl (put the rocks down), headphones have gotten a whole lot better in value and performance and we still debate as passionately as ever over a cap. mod or cables. Looking forward to another audio neighbor.

Pretzels or Churros? Nevermind.......

Welcome to the machine.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Oh you sorry now........:p

A lot of gearslutz here along with the professional audio ranks (recording) young enthusiasts, musicians, teachers, designers etc. with a thirst for the best they can get within their means (and what is possible). The ipod has fostered a community from DIY to a fledgling industry that's doing quite well for itself. Same holds true, amps are still amps, digital is finally bellied up to the bar with vinyl (put the rocks down), headphones have gotten a whole lot better in value and performance and we still debate as passionately as ever over a cap. mod or cables. Looking forward to another audio neighbor.

Pretzels or Churros? Nevermind.......

Welcome to the machine.

Thank you,

I can see this burrow going long and deep.

Time to cut the cards, before they get melted. Already whacked £120 and I've only been on for two days.

However, someone once said 'music is like an elephant in a room, a music rig is a torch that shines on part of that elephant'.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Thanks, 

Now there is a blast from the past!

What's the name on the back on your speakers, I probably worked with the guy/girl. The serial number and name on the back of your speakers (if its still there) is linked to the person who built them.  

If there was any fault or defect with the speakers they would go straight back to the builder. 

Quick question, do you know what the Linn emblem is and why every Linn product has a 'K' in it?

Mine only have the initials HP (or AP?) in the "Assembled" and "Tested" boxes.  Ring any bells?

I always assumed that the logo was a stylized cross-section view of a stylus on a record. Am I wrong?  And no, I haven't the foggiest what the "K" is about. Do tell.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Mine only have the initials HP (or AP?) in the "Assembled" and "Tested" boxes.  Ring any bells?

I always assumed that the logo was a stylized cross-section view of a stylus on a record. Am I wrong?  And no, I haven't the foggiest what the "K" is about. Do tell.

A - was either Alan, or H was Helen Parker. I'm leaning more towards Helen.

The logo is correct!

If you turn the 'K' 90 degrees counter clockwise you have a replica of the logo.

The invert (K and stylus) also represent the lower half of a Diamond shape.  Diamond being one of the purest forms of carbon.

Therefore, Linn's ethos is this, 'from the vinyl to playback we endeavour to create music in the purest form'.  Now given we have moved on to digital the ethos is still the same, they endeavour to create music in the purest form.

Step back in time about 30 - 40 yrs and apply that ethos - Makes sense,  Fast forward 30 - 40 yrs to present day and it still applies.  Just shows what a visionary Ivor Tiefunbrun was back then and still is now.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
A - was either Alan, or H was Helen Parker. I'm leaning more towards Helen.

Very cool to have some personal history on my Linn's.  It looks more like an H, so Helen it is.

Step back in time about 30 - 40 yrs and apply that ethos - Makes sense,  Fast forward 30 - 40 yrs to present day and it still applies.  Just shows what a visionary Ivor Tiefunbrun was back then and still is now.

Refreshing to see someone with such obvious enthusiasm and respect for a former employer. I still really like the Kans--I'm surprised that there are so few speakers on the market designed to work with room boundaries rather than fight against them.  I'd venture that there are a lot of people paying big $ for speakers designed to be placed 3' out from walls and don't have listening rooms that allow for this.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 9
The thing with Linn is its at the very high end of the market. People who appreciate music (audiophiles) will appreciate Linn and the likes. I don't know how many times I said to friends 'it's not about how loud the speakers can go, but the clarity of the music that is being reproduced'.

I had speakers Av5140's that had to be approx 6" from the walls to allow the tones to circulate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back