hi all
May 18, 2009 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Makenshi

100+ Head-Fier
I have been a long time lurker on the forums. I just recently had this burning urge to buy full sized cans after spending a year or so with my excellent CX500; my JVC HA-G101 was REALLY nice for $10 but it's no longer cutting it for me. I figured that if my wallet is going down the drain, I might as well register and seek advice to make it drain slower.

Since I made this introduction thread, I'll start by asking my first series of many questions to come. My plan is to buy a lot of lower end models and eventually reselling the ones I don't like in order to buy the higher end models of the ones I like. Is that a good plan? Currently, I am looking at AD700/ES7/SR60/HD555/D1001/DBI Pro 700/ProLine 550. Any suggestions on what to add or remove from the above list is welcome. Good day to you all.

p.s. If there's an introduction section, sorry for the misplacement and please redirect this thread to the appropriate section.

May 18, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 6
You don't necessarily have to buy them, you can try setting up or finding a mini meet in your area and play around with the headphones before you commit into buying. That'll save you money and potential stress, and you'll have a general idea on what to look for in the future.

And welcome to Head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Welcome aboard!
Buy buying the lower end phones you learn something about the house sounds, yes. But for example the HD555 doesn't sound like the HD600/HD650 at all. Most people here read a lot and learn from other people's experiences. They base their next headphone purchase on that.

May 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 6
there is a headphone buyer's guide for beginners if you search, which is really helpful.

you need to tell us what you will be using them for mainly? music, games, movies etc.
If it is music, the experts here can guide you based on your musical preferences.

there is a lot of amazing help on this forum, I started out looking for something entirely different then what I ended up with...I bought both the AD700's and HD 555's, love them and am still constantly looking on the for sale forum to start my upgrade!

best of luck!

May 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi, and welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

As for the headphone question.
I suggest you head over to the Headphones (full-size) forum, search and read. Don't miss the sticky threads.

May 18, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all the replies. I thought buying intro-level headphones would have been a good way to gauge sound signatures but I guess they do vary quite a lot even within the manufacturer.

I have read the Buyer's guide and several threads and can't really make up my mind. Since the FS forums seem to hold incredible resell value (you basically only pay shipping to resell if you shop right from what I understand), I thought it would have been a good idea, but a quick balancing in my budget quickly made me forgo that route
biggrin.gif

The only imminent headphone I need is one that I can sleep in. Due to durability issues DBI-700 is the only one that currently fits the bill, but I am unsure of the comfort level (though it'll probably just roll around on my bed once I fall asleep anyways). Any other suggestions?

As far as my requirement for headphones, I will use it/them mostly for music and some light gaming/movies/anime. My MP3 library has everything besides country, which as far as I know doesn't really affect my EQ requirement given all the other genres I listen to. Selection might a little light on classical and rap, but I do listen to instrumental and R&B. As far as my preference, the only "real" headphones I've had to compare to is the CX300 & 500 canal phones. CX300's one note, bloated bass can be fun to listen to at times but very frustrating at others. Coupled with Fiio E3 I quickly tossed the E3 out of the window. CX500 is much more balanced and seems to suit my need (and budget) as far as canal phones go. I don't know what soundstage I'd prefer, but my hunch says a huge one since I like the reverb effects on when more often than not when I watch anime.

I was eying up the AD700 that was just in the FS forums based on the above criterion but unfortunately didn't have enough money/resolution to jump on the deal while I had the chance. The other main candidate is HD555, as I heard the sound significantly improves once you remove those pads or whatever, which can be my very, very basic introduction to headphone modding as well. Was pushing for $60/70 for HD555/AD700 but I guess I just have to spend a bit more to get quality sound.

Thanks again for the welcomes!

edit: Based on my preferences, if I can get a HD-595 for $30 more than a AD-700, should I just shoot for that?
Also, with headphones at this price range, should I bother amping with Fiio E5 at all (can't justify spending more for amp than phone....)? I'm definitely getting the E5 for my CX500, but I am just curious whether the E5 would be beneficial or detrimental compared to iPod and Zen Vision W's headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back