Hi all looking for advice
Sep 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ddtdave

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I wonder if any of you can advise me please?
I am looking at an mp3 with lossless and thinking maybe fiio x3ii or ibasso dx50 to start. I like detail and bass, my knowledge is limited. Anyone have any experience with both?
My other query is how I can push this higher quality sound through a car. I have a premium surround sound Volvo but quality is far from amazing despite amp etc. I often use an Ipod through USB but this isn't great and the head unit only accepts certain formats. By using an analogue in rather than USB could I use just the amp and speakers to retain better quality sound also?

Sorry for 2 qs in 1 and making it long winded.

Thanks for any support people.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello I wonder if any of you can advise me please?
I am looking at an mp3 with lossless and thinking maybe fiio x3ii or ibasso dx50 to start. I like detail and bass, my knowledge is limited. Anyone have any experience with both?
My other query is how I can push this higher quality sound through a car. I have a premium surround sound Volvo but quality is far from amazing despite amp etc. I often use an Ipod through USB but this isn't great and the head unit only accepts certain formats. By using an analogue in rather than USB could I use just the amp and speakers to retain better quality sound also?

Sorry for 2 qs in 1 and making it long winded.

Thanks for any support people.

I know the Fiio X1 comes with a analog line-output, which could connect to the analog input in your car's audio system.
The Fiio X1 sounded great connected to my Nissan's analog input.
I would assume the FiiO X3 II also has a line-output feature, guessing(?) the iBasso also has that feature.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 6
I know the Fiio X1 comes with a analog line-output, which could connect to the analog input in your car's audio system.
The Fiio X1 sounded great connected to my Nissan's analog input.
I would assume the FiiO X3 II also has a line-output feature, guessing(?) the iBasso also has that feature.

Thanks I thought that must be the best option for using an mp3 player. My old Ipod is poor sounding in general and there are limitations in file size and format when used via USB.I know lossless is way overkill, but I'd like some more detailed sound.
Thanks for your clarification much appreciated :)

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Know that many people find high bit rate mp3s often indistinguishable from lossless. You should test yourself and see: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes I believe I would struggle...maybe my choice of words were pretty poor and my ears aren't perfect lol. I was thinking a good quality Dac that is capable of picking out more detail would be of benefit the lossless part is overkill. My car stereo will only accept mp3 and when transferred from AAC via ITunes on my laptop the Mp3 files are pretty poor quality. This currently then gets pumped through the USB port on a little old Ipod which isn't great either. Time for an upgrade on the Ipod and a new route through the aux I think :grinning: I have just ordered a DX50 online so quite excited to try something a bit more up-to-date and better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back