HFI780 vs. ESW9 - help me pick!
Mar 1, 2008 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
I know there are a few of you that have heard and/or own both these cans. Based on SQ alone which is "better" and why?

If it helps, I'm using a 5.5g iMod, ALO Au/Ag cables, portable vcap and either a Lisa or iQube. I listen to (lossless) blues, blues rock, classic rock, pop, some country and bluegrass and acoustic guitar. My reference phones are UE11s.

I recently owned the HFI780s and in spite of the rave reviews they are getting they did not work for me (200+ hours burn in). In addition to being too big (full size), the trebles could be seriously sizzling. Lower quality recordings, especially live recordings with cymbals, high hats and snare drums were seriously unpleasant for me.

I'm wondering if the ESW9s are better for me than the HFI780s? Just for grins, I'm also thinking about HD25-1-II as a decent, small (portable) sealed can.

Finally, if you think you know the flat out best, money no object small, sealed, portable, non-IEM, feel free to offer it up!

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 6
Check Meets impression section. ESW9 seems like very well received by almost everyone, including well respected on this board members. Ultrasones are just too idiosyncratic to match everyone's taste. Plus, based on your HFI-780 impressions, seems like you have made your choice already.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes, the ESW9's are most likely going to sound better to you based on your impressions of the ultrasones. I find that the ultrasone brand is really love/hate for most people.

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Money obviously is not a option for you, if you are trying to decide between a $200 and $1500 pair of headphones - there's just a little difference in price between the two, lol.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Got to try the ESW9, definitely like it better than the HFI-780. Treble was a little too much for me as a cello player (but I listen to mostly classical, so..).

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 6
Sounds to me like that you would prefer the Sennhieser sound with highs that are good but tend to drift away. Some call this drifting a veiled sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back