HFI700
Jul 31, 2004 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dassbaba

New Head-Fier
Do these headphones have a different name? The only info about these that ive found on google are head-fi links
580smile.gif

Would anyone that has used these have any feedback? How is the soundstage/clarity?

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 14
They are the Ultrasone HFI-700, used to be called HFI-650, DVD edition. Check out www.ultrasone.com and, to purchase, www.meier-audio.de.

How to characterize them? First, they're closed (which would suggest a somewhat truncated soundstage). Second, they are efficient enough to use without an amp (though, of course, an amp can help). Third, they are known for their bass slam, and, having once owned them, I would agree.
basshead.gif
Even so, I would not describe them as dark or lacking in the mids or highs - it's just that the bass is perhaps their most distinguishing feature.

There have been some problems noted with their apparently fragile headband.

Aug 1, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 14
that website is really nice meier audio
smily_headphones1.gif

they look a little small, i like large headphones that cover your ears too much

the reason i was interested about the hfi-700's was because they are supposed to have the best soundstage/positioning, my main concern for the headphones are gaming, and i was told that these are by a good leap the best gaming headphones because of the positioning and all

Aug 1, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dassbaba
that website is really nice meier audio
smily_headphones1.gif

they look a little small, i like large headphones that cover your ears too much

the reason i was interested about the hfi-700's was because they are supposed to have the best soundstage/positioning, my main concern for the headphones are gaming, and i was told that these are by a good leap the best gaming headphones because of the positioning and all

They will probably cover your entire ear with ease. In the sense of the internal cup size, they're about the same as Sennheiser HD280 and other comparable full size headphones. It's just their external profile is much slimmer than the HD280, thus giving them a little more portability and sleeker look. They still have the thick, ugly headband that stretches into a square shape when you wear them though.

I owned them once as well, and for all their marketing about how great their soundstage and sound positoning is... they're actually nowhere near as good as Audio Technica A900 in that regard. I liked my A900 much more for both the purpose of sound positioning, and just music listening as well. The HFI-700 had a rather harsher sound signature, with somewhat less refined sound. The mid-bass has more boost in it, but I felt that the A900's deep bass extension is actually a bit deeper, warmer, and more refined.

Aug 1, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
They will probably cover your entire ear with ease. In the sense of the internal cup size, they're about the same as Sennheiser HD280 and other comparable full size headphones. It's just their external profile is much slimmer than the HD280, thus giving them a little more portability and sleeker look. They still have the thick, ugly headband that stretches into a square shape when you wear them though.

I owned them once as well, and for all their marketing about how great their soundstage and sound positoning is... they're actually nowhere near as good as Audio Technica A900 in that regard. I liked my A900 much more for both the purpose of sound positioning, and just music listening as well. The HFI-700 had a rather harsher sound signature, with somewhat less refined sound. The mid-bass has more boost in it, but I felt that the A900's deep bass extension is actually a bit deeper, warmer, and more refined.

but would the Audio Technica need a headphone amp? i'd be more than happy to have a pair of headphones that i could use for their primary function. eax gaming with audigy 2, and still be decent when listening to music with them

Aug 1, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 14
A900 are great all purpose headphones, and don't need an amp. I don't have my amps around right now so I don't even know if they improve with an amp.

I don't get the "headphone xyz is better for positioning". All headphones are just 2 speakers strapped to your head, how different could they be? Angled drivers are about all could possibly make a difference I would have thought?

Aug 1, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 14
I use the similar HFI-650 at work. They have rather icky pads, which can be replaced with the pads for the Beyer DT250. Sound wise they have a very pronounced bass (thanks to an internal resonator design). The treble is also quite prominent. This is not all bad. They basically have built in loudness compensation, which makes them nice at low to very low levels. At moderate levels they can get somewhat obnoxious. Response plot below shows them (yellow) in comparison with the Sen HD600.

I've never heard the A900. I owned the A1000 for awhile. They were huge with no bass and lumpy midrange. otoh they were gorgeous to look at
wink.gif

HFI650wHD600.jpg

gerG

Aug 1, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I don't get the "headphone xyz is better for positioning". All headphones are just 2 speakers strapped to your head, how different could they be? Angled drivers are about all could possibly make a difference I would have thought?

Even if they're both positioned exactly the same way, you'll still get different quality of sound positioning due to the ability of the headphone to produce minor characteristics. The ability of a particular headphone to produce minor characteristics, such as speed, low volume with audibility, detail, proper decay.. all produces the illusion of having a large 3d space when you really don't. Yes, they're all just 2 drivers on your ears, but drivers are very different.

The angled placement helps out with frontal imaging, as flat placed driver produces all sound from the sides, but angled drivers gives you more of a sense of receiving sound from somewhere in front of your head.

Aug 1, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 14
One more observation about the HFI-700. I found that they generated quite a bit of heat and I was forced to take them off after 30 minutes or so to cool off. By way of comparison, I don't have this problem with the A900s.

Aug 1, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 14
Hi Wal!

The equipment keeps improving, and I keep finding more subtlties in the data. The most obvious difference is that a friend told me the trick for taking screenshots in Windows. Now I can post what I see. Much easier.

gerG

Aug 1, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
A900 are great all purpose headphones, and don't need an amp. I don't have my amps around right now so I don't even know if they improve with an amp.

i don't know, if people pay this much for speakers shouldn't they be able to know what specific direction a noise is coming from?

Aug 2, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
One more observation about the HFI-700. I found that they generated quite a bit of heat and I was forced to take them off after 30 minutes or so to cool off.

Can be a pain in summer. Moreover, they weren't very comfortable, the clamping force was a bit too strong. I've read that there's some tweak to reduce the clamping force but at that time mine were already sold. Another reason was that the highs were piercing my ear drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back