hfi-780's with cable mod
Sep 10, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gushybear

New Head-Fier
hey there! i recieved these about a week ago, and have been breaking them in about half the time i've had them (so probably 75 or so hours on them).

I'm very very pleased with the detail and forewardness of these headphones. when i first got them they wouldn't really get decent volume, but now as they're breaking in they're getting easier to drive (i'm assuming thats the cable?) and the sound is improving quite dramatically! very excited to see where these land!

I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed a lack of bass extension on these 'phones. i mean they hit the notes, but its not NEAR the impact my old 750pros had. I do listen to some rap/hiphop/techno stuff, and it would be nice to have that bass when i do desire it...

is this just a product of not being fully broken in ? or the cable mod? or both?? i'm just kind of curious, 'cause in the end nobody's prying these headphones from my hands!! i guess i'll let them break in a bit more and see where that takes me. i'm pretty sure i notice more bass over the last 50 hours or so, but it might be i'm just getting used to it?
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 9
I have listened to the HFI-780 re-cabled with various cables and they all had a lot of bass. In my experience it was the other way around, as the the can burns-in the bass settles and although it mellows it hits deeper.

Are yours the vampire or the Jena cables? BTW, this cans need a lot of burn-in, 350-400 hours for sure. Good luck.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the HFI-780s with Jenna Cryos and bass is not an issue at all with mine!

RIDE

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 9
hmm okay i'm going to let them break in more and keep popping little peaks at the sound as it changes every day or two. its interesting to hear the changes as they happen.

dont get me wrong, there's definitely low end extension, just not the 'kick' that my 750's have. not that thats necessarily bad or anything.

and i have the 18ga wire. looks so sweet!

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Can you tell me which amp you use to drive the ALO780? I am using the LISA III and am wondering if LISA is good enough to unleash the full potential of the phone?

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi mrarroyo,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am now using the LISA III driving my ALO780 and I like it a lot. As a matter of fact, I am using the IMod 4G as the source and LISA III and the ALO780 as my portable rig. Just wondering if I should buy another home amp to drive the phone. If the LISA III can fully unleash the potential of the ALO780, then there is little point to buy a home amp.

Thanks again.
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 9
The Lisa III is way more monster than the 780s need - it will drive the hell out of those things and you can be sure that it's about as good as they're ever going to sound in any portable application ( not including the variable of your source and interconnects)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back