Hfi-780 vs HFI-2200
May 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kazsud

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own the HFI-2200 and from reading all the good things about the HFI-780 it makes me want to get a pair.

How are they different other then being closed and different color/material?

Also will it sound different enough to justify getting them and re-cabling them in the future?

Thanks

May 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazsud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own the HFI-2200 and from reading all the good things about the HFI-780 it makes me want to get a pair.

How are they different other then being closed and different color/material?

Also will it sound different enough to justify getting them and re-cabling them in the future?

Thanks

I haven't heard both, but I think you've answered your own question. They're the same drivers, iirc, so it's an open v. closed debate.

I've wondered if the 2200s would really benefit that much from a recabling, maybe someone who has can chime in.

May 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 15
At what point did your 2200s finish burning in? I think mine really opened up at around 200 hours but i lost track of time somewhere around 100 hours.

Also what is your next amp move?
Mine are the D10 and the Compass but probably the Compass first

May 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazsud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At what point did your 2200s finish burning in? I think mine really opened up at around 200 hours but i lost track of time somewhere around 100 hours.

Also what is your next amp move?
Mine are the D10 and the Compass but probably the Compass first

I didn't keep track past 100 hours, give or take. They've got plenty of hours on them now, though well into 500 range. The last thing to "click in" (for lack of a better word) were the highs. They sounded detached from the rest of the cans, so to say. That was somewhere after 100 but not too long afterwards.

I actually went and got a dac first because my laptop HP out is downright terrible. Then I got a Hot Audio RM-1 which paired quite well with the 2200s. About a week days ago I picked up a Meier HA-2 MKII SE for a helluva price on the FS forums here. I can't see my amp changing anytime soon.

If the Compass was around in December, I probably would have gotten that first as it seems like a good value.

May 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 15
and why is that? have u heard both?

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 15
Well depends on your scource. It's said that the HFI 780 won't sound too great directly out of an iPod, but the 2200 does

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 15
How is the bass with the 2200, because the 780 has a LOT of bass, more then my Grado SR80s. I don't even listen to my Audio-Technica ATH-A700 anymore, their bass is too "polite". lol. My 780 are powered fine with the Turtle Beach DAC/amp and I listen sometimes to my TV using a Fiio3. Nothing expensive or fancy but still a lot of detail and bass.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick1ru2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the bass with the 2200, because the 780 has a LOT of bass, more then my Grado SR80s. I don't even listen to my Audio-Technica ATH-A700 anymore, their bass is too "polite". lol. My 780 are powered fine with the Turtle Beach DAC/amp and I listen sometimes to my TV using a Fiio3. Nothing expensive or fancy but still a lot of detail and bass.

The 2200s have the legendary Ultrasone bottom-end... definitely no deficiencies in that area!

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 15
OK, so now I am looking at the 2400 lol. Seems only available so far from Ultrasone. On sale now too.

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #13 of 15
Hi all! I'm new in this forum, and also a newbie in the area of high-range headphones ... so, please forgive me if I ask stupid questions
smile.gif

The reason why I reply to this post, is that I'd like to buy a good headphone for listening to music while working in the office. After reading quite a number of threads in this nice website, I'm currently mostly interested in Ultrasone HFI-780. I just have a few questions
confused_face_2.gif
, that I hope you expert can answer:

1. I've seen many posts saying that HFI-780 has a lot of bass. I mostly listen to classical music, so I wonder if any of you have comments about HFI-780 for classical music. Would you recommend it? If not, could you suggest an Ultrasone alternative (I like their MU Metal shielding - ULE-technology feature)? Or any other alternative?

2. I was also interested in HFI-2400, but since it has an higher impedance (70 Ohm vs 35 Ohm of HFI-780) I suspect that it requires an amp and that I can't use it directly from an mp3 player or my laptop. Am I wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by marco.sbodio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all! I'm new in this forum, and also a newbie in the area of high-range headphones ... so, please forgive me if I ask stupid questions
smile.gif

The reason why I reply to this post, is that I'd like to buy a good headphone for listening to music while working in the office. After reading quite a number of threads in this nice website, I'm currently mostly interested in Ultrasone HFI-780. I just have a few questions
confused_face_2.gif
, that I hope you expert can answer:

1. I've seen many posts saying that HFI-780 has a lot of bass. I mostly listen to classical music, so I wonder if any of you have comments about HFI-780 for classical music. Would you recommend it? If not, could you suggest an Ultrasone alternative (I like their MU Metal shielding - ULE-technology feature)? Or any other alternative?

2. I was also interested in HFI-2400, but since it has an higher impedance (70 Ohm vs 35 Ohm of HFI-780) I suspect that it requires an amp and that I can't use it directly from an mp3 player or my laptop. Am I wrong?

Thank you in advance!

What is your work environment? HFI-780 are closed back and I think the 2400s are open. If so, people around you will hear the 2400.

Second, what kind of classical? I use the Turtle Beach Mico DAC through the USB port of my computer and you can activate the graphic eq and take out the bass if too much. BTW, the Yo Yo Ma Unaccompanied Solos CD sounds so rich with the 780s.

At first, the 780s probably will sound bright, I used pink noise overnight and it helped, they will sound better over time.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick1ru2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your work environment? HFI-780 are closed back and I think the 2400s are open. If so, people around you will hear the 2400.

Second, what kind of classical? I use the Turtle Beach Mico DAC through the USB port of my computer and you can activate the graphic eq and take out the bass if too much. BTW, the Yo Yo Ma Unaccompanied Solos CD sounds so rich with the 780s.

At first, the 780s probably will sound bright, I used pink noise overnight and it helped, they will sound better over time.

Thank you for your comments. My environment is an open-space office, where people come and go and often speak at the phone quite loudly. I take the point that HFI-2400 are open and therefore could leak my music out and also allow more noise in.

I found a dealer close to where I live that has HFI-580 and HFI2200. I will visit it an try them. In the meantime any other comment is welcome.

Let me ask a couple more questions:

- what is pink noise?

- instead of Turtle Beach Micro DAC, I was toying with the idea of buying a FiiO E5 which is cheaply available even from Amazon: what do you think?

p.s. I'm looking forward to listening to a Yo Yo Ma performance on an Ultrasone headphone
smile.gif
, or, even better for my tastes, Symphonies 8 and 9 from Antonin Dvorák, or Mozart's Adagio and Fugue in C minor K 546
(Profile for Marco Luca Sbodio - Pandora)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back