HFI-780 vs AKG k271/272HD
Apr 27, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

flexium

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between these two headphones unamped.

I like bass but not bloated bass. I like treble but I don't like shrieking high.

I listen to both rock and classical.

seems like K271/272HD would be the best bang for the buck right??

But I looked at the thread on So what's the word on the new ultrasone starting from page 104, there was a huge fight regarding these two headphones. I just needs to draw a conclusion for myself since I don't have enough money to try both cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Recently I had an opportunity to listen HFI-780 and compare it with my AKG-K280 Parabolic. As a source I used the newest Beresford TC-7520.
For me HFI-780 was completely unacceptable. The bass was completely out of control. Without any shape – I mean it was difficult to guess what instrument was playing. With my AKG it was completely different story. Soundstage also was much better with my AKG (perhaps cause it is semi-open).
The mids and highs were better and more natural with AKG. The owner of 780 claimed that it had more than 200 hours but he also admitted that my AKG was MUCH better.
Even small portable Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 (AFAIR) was much better than this Ultrasone...

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 10
i have had both. very different headphones

the akg has very little bass and does not accept a lot of volume. it is a flat analytical sound. great mids. absolutely needs an amp
the hfi 780 has more bass and treble, accepts a lot of volume (if wanted). i wouldnt call the bass bloated, i dont even think it has a lot of bass, but more than the akg k271.works decent without an amp

May 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm interested in this poll also as I'm thinking of purchasing 272HDs

May 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by flexium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
except that it's like 50-50... I still haven't decided yet... I still want to know the answer as well

You'll just have to buy them both...

May 10, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 10
I've got both the HFI-780 and the K271 (Mk II). While the K271 are great sounding cans, they lack bottom end punch, which the 780s have aplenty. IMO, if you want a fun and engaging sound with detail, the HFI-780 are a great choice. In my experience, they are awesome for rock, metal, r'n'b, rap and their hybrids.

May 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 10
I've had HFI-680 which is quite similar to HFI-780 by design and sound signature as well as Ultrasone Proline 750. Both of them had that hatred by many Ultrasone house sound with recessed mids, artificial, metallic, fatiguing treble and unnaturally emphasized bass. Yes, it might sound exciting at first but fatigues fairly quickly and sounds plain unnatural.
K271S after those two sounds like a relief to the ears, and even that it might not sound as having the same bite in direct A/B, it's just result of contrasting presentation, give them a bit more time and they'll start sound as rocking and slamming AND more pleasant and natural as closed phones could be. To day I've gone through pretty much all possible isolating closed phones on the market (you can check my profile) and still couldn't find anything that outperforms K271S for office use for a variety of genres from classical to metal.
They do need velour pads and healthy amplification to sound their best though, otherwise bass can be on anemic side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back