HFI-780 sounding very harsh.. is this a problem with source?
Mar 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

carnival

100+ Head-Fier
Really, carnival? Another 780 post?
Yes. I'm sorry.

So, I'm noticing that running

Laptop -> Fiio e5 -> Beyer-mod 780

with some songs is making certain parts somewhat unpleasant. "Sharp" is the best way I could describe it.

I've heard this is a problem with the 780s occasionally, but I was wondering if they're just not to my taste or if it's because I'm running off my computer's sound card? (Which I'm assuming is of poor quality). Or maybe lack of a real amp? I dunno.

Thoughts?

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 12
How long have you had your HFI-780's for? The reason i'm asking that question is because they take awhile to burn in.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 12
I believe the burn in is around 400 hours. FWIR they do become less harsh and the sound smooths out but I'm not sure by how much.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Laptop -> Fiio e5 -> Beyer-mod 780

Theres your problem right there. Laptop without a DAC is a terrible source. 780's tend to sound a bit energetic by nature, but this kinda path is only going make it sound worse. Trust me, the 680/780 HP's really need a good source to shine, and that amp isnt doing much help either. They are not as versatile and do it all like some of the other HP's out there, and can easily tend to sound harsh or thin on weak amps and sources.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 12
Response to both:

I'm not entirely sure, actually. This is still the first month, but I always have them running..

And I got them from someone else, so I don't know how many there were when I got them.
frown.gif

I guess less than 50. I know they're supposed to be a fairly lengthy burn, but I ask because I'm not seeing a whole lot of progress as they go through it.

New to the higher end thing, so I wasn't sure how gradually the change would happen. Everything else sounds great about them, the mids are coming out more and more each day and the bass is sounding cleaner, but these darn highs are threatening to make my ears bleed!

EDIT: third post to reply to!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theres your problem right there. Laptop without a DAC is a terrible source.

Yeah, I figured. I tried them from a few sources and the laptop is by far the worst. I assumed it was the lack of an amp (waiting for email replies, so hopefully I'll have one soon. Whew) and the source.

Thanks for that, I don't mind it being my source because I can fix that
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Actually, 780's are harsh by nature. Although burn in and changing sources will help out a bit, it won't change them into something they're not. I've heard the only way to cure that is to recable. Personally, I didn't feel like spending more money for the cable than the phone so I never bothered but it could be something that you are interested.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, 780's are harsh by nature. Although burn in and changing sources will help out a bit, it won't change them into something they're not. I've heard the only way to cure that is to recable.

I'd agree with this. Ultrasones tend to emphasise the attack of notes rather than their decay, which along with a fairly prominent treble response makes them fairly "harsh" sounding. The exception was the Edition 9, which was much smoother than my old Pro 750.

Thus my reccomendation for a slightly warm solid state amp for them, such as an M3 with OPA627 or Lisa 3 with LLP.

Edit: All of which shouldn't be taken as me saying your source isn't a large part of the problem
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd agree with this. Ultrasones tend to emphasise the attack of notes rather than their decay, which along with a fairly prominent treble response makes them fairly "harsh" sounding. The exception was the Edition 9, which was much smoother than my old Pro 750.

Thus my reccomendation for a slightly warm solid state amp for them, such as an M3 with OPA627 or Lisa 3 with LLP.

Edit: All of which shouldn't be taken as me saying your source isn't a large part of the problem
tongue.gif

Haha, of course
tongue.gif

So a warmer amp will help round it out then?

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnival /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, of course
tongue.gif

I found that to be so. Obviously this is a subjective issue though, what is "harsh" sounding to some is "exciting" to others, etc.

I like the dynamics and vivaciousness of the Ultrasones, but for me personally they needed to be mellowed out a bit.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnival /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, of course
tongue.gif

The 780s are warm and colored to begin with, you need a fast and resolving solid-state amp, even one on the bright side would work nicely. I agree that a laptop is a terrible source, the Fiio E5 while perhaps boosting bass will overall degrade the sound quality.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 12
^ what? I mean even if you think the ultrasones are "warm and colored to begin with", which is the opposite of my experience, but why tell someone who thinks their cans are too bright to get a bright amp?

I don't agree with the notion that you pay tons of money to try to turn one headphone into a different headphone. It's just a waste of money. Amps/sources/cables only enhance what a headphone already does (with a few exceptions i guess). A new source/amp/cable could make them even brighter. And a warm amp/cable/source won't change them much. So you're better off starting with a headphone that you like.

Of course, this isn't true if your current source is extremely bright, and that's what you're hearing, not the phones. But if they're bright on multiple sources, my thought would be to get new phones
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 12
^ The problem is the op has no amp and a poor source, the 780s from my laptop sound very harsh and have no body what-so-ever. To look at this another way he's turning them up and because his source has no power he's getting more of the high-end.

I agree its silly to spend a lot of money on a single headphone, but a moderately priced amp/DAC would be better than nothing. Suggesting to start off with a headphone you like is silly when you're running it directly from a laptop, you're not going to hear it until amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back