HFI-700 vs. DT880
Jan 30, 2006 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sgraphics

Head-Fier
How do HFI-700 match against DT880?

Im searching for phones for myself and tested the HFI-700's the other day. They sounded pretty good but there was one major drawback: in synthetic sounds (e.g. not natural instruments - with what they sounded great btw) there was this annoying sound in the low-to-mid high range. It was at about 10 000 khz I believe. The sound at that khz was the same with everything I heard, and it struck out. As if there was no detail at that khz... it just screamed.

Is something like this also the case with dt800 (HeadRoom graphs show that it might)?

And another question: are they good for electronical music?

The problem is there are no stores here that sell Beyers and I have to order one outside the country if I want one. So I can not test one beforehand.

Some more info:

BTW I mostly listen electronical music, I love fast bass that would kick (trance). Other than that, I think a flat graph is nice. Why? Because sometimes I like to fling on a nice guitar track and expect my phones to shine.

I listened K271 for a day. Absolutely superb but I would love something with a little more bass. Other than that the sound was what I would like.

I have also listened DT770 about a year ago. I thought they had too much subwoofer. Too unnatural for me.

Upper bass is where its at and I don't want to sacrifice midrange in favour of bass. I'm kinda looking for all-purpose headphones minus rock and rap.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 6
I wouldn't really define the DT 880's bass as fast... it's quite competent, but not really fast. The high range is where the headphone really sparkles, and I can't imagine it losing any detail at all in that area. You may want to be cautious for these with music where you absolutely need punch mids or bass. Those areas are very sweet but very polite. You may not get the kick you need.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 6
At about the same pricerange (or less) what do you consider punchy (but not much sacrificing other characteristics)?

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 6
I bought a pair of DT-880's to replace my HFI-700's. The HFI-700's are more bass-heavy and the 880's sound clearer and more detailed. The 880's are also MUCH more comfortable than the HFI-700's. The HFI-700's are also a closed pair so they're pretty isolating which can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back